Monday, March 09, 2009

That enlightenment -- it don't come easy

If you have reached middle age and have not experienced some personal hell,then you either haven't been living life to its fullest, in all its colors and perversities, or you have been preternaturally blessed. Or, you could be lying. If you haven't yet reached middle age, think what you have to look forward to.

I prefer to deal with and socialize with the flawed amongst us -- those men or women who are marred by a bit of spiritual scar-tissue. It means they have suffered, but have hopefully learned, and have come out the other side with maybe some of wisdom. People who learned nothing from their direst mistakes have forsaken life's most splendid opportunities for growth.


Also, such people are rarely very interesting.The cliché holds that the most important lessons in life are the hardest ones. As clichés go, it's not a bad one. Significant deterrents can only be found in happenings that have had at least a smattering of emotional trauma connected with them. If the trauma hadn't been there, you'd have kept on doing the thing you were doing that put you in a bad spot in the first place. That’s no damn good. Pain can set you free if you regard it in a judicious way. Once something hurts too much, those who are blessed give it up and move on. Speaking of clichés, there is another one that says: The definition of insanity is to keep on doing something destructive in the belief that this time the outcome will be different. It never will be.

By a certain age most of us have been forced to deal with suchunnerving stuff as illness and death, injury, family calamity, marital strife and in some cases maybe even break-up, emotional crises and collapse, cruelty, abuse, abject loneliness, crime and at an extreme maybe even incarceration or institutionalization.

Yes, into each life a little shit must fall. It's an ugly and scary world out there, and what can go wrong sometimes does.Do you ever have those dreams where you are in a specific situation, maybeflying on a plane, and you think, my God, I hope this plane doesn't crash? The moment you think the unthinkable the dream-plane goes into a spin, which sends it plummeting to the ground four miles below. Unfortunately, sometimes that happens in real life. Our worst fears can become self-fulfilling prophecies. Screamin' Jay Hawkins has "put a spell on you." It's only coincidence, but it doesn't seem like it at the time.

Take the guy who professes to love his wife with all his heart, and who regularly ruminates on his greatest fear: that the light of his life and fire of his loins might someday leave him. How does he deal with such an anxiety? Why, by doing the opposite of what he should have done to keep her safe and happy with him. He boozes, he screws around, and he is abusive to her and the kids at every turn. One day she packs her bags and walks out the door, never to return. He's devastated. "How could she hit me with my worst fear?"

Easily. He set the process in motion. He unconsciously pushed the relationship to the limits just to see how far he could take it. To see how much she really loved him. And then he found that there were limits. She would only take so much. Leaving him to self-righteously exclaim: "Aha! I knew she couldn't be trusted -- the bitch!"


This sort of thing happens a lot in marriages and long-term relationships that aren’t based on trust and honesty. We've all pushed when weshould have opened our arms and embraced.The man who has learned nothing from such misfortunes then falls back on tried and true reactions of resentment, disappointment and anger, and like Miniver Cheevy in the E.A. Robinson poem, keeps on cursing and "(keeps) on drinking," or whatever he does that keeps the family lurching from crisis to crisis.

The seeker of enlightenment, on the other hand, is the guy who approaches such a situation with more honesty, and a genuine quest to understand whyhe did what he did, and to figure out how he can keep from doing it again.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enlightenment comes in fits and starts, I believe. And you have to reach and re-reach for it, over and over. But that's okay - what have we got nut time anyway?

5:50 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

BTW - you have an award waiting for you on my blog.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I want to be preternaturally blessed. Sign me up for that. I have a post that is . . . sort of similar to this one. Never really had the energy to finish it. Not total enlightenment, but enlightenment in one area of one's life.

Again, if anyone who has pull with the Big Man, I'd like a dollop of a preternaturally blessed life.

4:30 AM  
Blogger French Fancy... said...

I agree that by now all sensible people would have made lots of mistakes, done stupid things and hopefully learnt (learned?) from them. There's always some dull drab people however who have never put a foot wrong , have never taken chances, some not even moving away from the place in which they grew up. How sad must their lives be - but they don't even realise.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

It's hard to be the guy who tries to really evaluate his life and see what he did wrong, rather, he stews, obsesses and sometimes drinks his way through it all. But interesting post with many different twist and turns. I totally agreed that our dreams can turn into reality - that's in rare cases, and in most cases, some of our dreams tell us the complete opposite of our lives.

I enjoyed this very much. I don't have a blogroll (I have the old version of blogger and blogrolling is down for some reason), but I would love to follow you!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

How great it would be to have total enlightenment. Like Citizen, I think it comes in fits and starts. A little bit here, a little bit there, and hopefully eventually you put it together and end up a better person.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Vic said...

Very insightful, Ian. And how true - unfortunately. I'd like to get on the fast track to enlightenment, but so often seem to need remedial education. Your clients are lucky to have you as a counselor.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Real people have flaws. I never pal around with perfect people!!

4:31 PM  
Blogger lady macleod said...

Hey baby, what kind of day did you have? I have had my share, and some who love me say more than, of loss and pain but I still count myself incredibly blessed because I remain grateful. I think forgiveness and gratitude are the most liberating of emotions and can lead to an even higher state.

You are deep in the thoughts today my friend. Go blow some bubbles off the balcony :-)

5:31 PM  
Blogger Pearl said...

I love how you write.
Don't have an award for you, but if you're ever in Minneapolis, I'll buy you a beer.
A good beer.
Pearl

5:35 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Ian, I too am drawn to people who have gone through real hell and not only survive, but learn and grow from it. I think such experiences deepen and soften their souls. And the stories they can tell!
V.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Determination is a quality I aspire to. I don't always live up to it and those are the moments I have learned from. But if you can figure out how to be determined and positive about everything you do, the only mistake you'll make is... end up in a job you hate for twenty years. Recently, an education guru said to me, "Eliminate the word 'problem' from your vocabulary. There are only challenges or opportunities". As much as I hate to live according to the precepts of a cliche, the hard work that I put in to relationships and work with this approach works for me.
But I can't say I learned this from trauma or mistake.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

As the forehead portion of the photo at the top loaded, I thought it was Rush Limbaugh.

Knowing that he's in the world, influencing so many, is a daily trial for me. Let's pretend the pain of him has given me more character.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Lady Fi said...

Good post! You'll like me because I'm pretty flawed! ;-)

12:30 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

What's worse about those type of husbands is that they do learn and then the poor abused wife gets to witness his princely treatment of wife #2. Sure it's nice he learned a lesson but usually sucks for wife #1.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home