Monday, February 16, 2009

Better to have false hope than no hope at all

Yesterday it was spring. Actually, it was faux printemps, but that’s better than no printemps at all. Even though it is, like a sexual infatuation, bound to end in disappointments. But I have never had a sexual infatuation that I don’t cherish just a teeny bit in memory, and I have never spent a false spring day that betrayed me. Subsequent days might, but the day in question is always fulfilling and highly satisfying.

So, yesterday I got out into the garden fro the first time since back last fall when the 2008 garden had shot its bolt and had become humdrum and boring. But, 2009 was the beginning of a new love and that first date was gentle and delicate and never presumptuous. I just went as far as seemed prudent. The day seemed willing to go along with it.

So, I pruned and snipped and raked and looked with almost paternal pleasure on the crocuses in wondrous early bloom. The daffodils are turgidly thrusting through the soil, meanwhile and the tulip and grape hyacinth foliage has already been nibbled by the deer.

It wasn’t a warm day by any understood standards of warmth, but it was pleasing enough to wear a light jacket. The sun shone vibrantly throughout and taking a break on the front doorstep of a westward facing house felt benevolent and sensual. I could get used to this.

I know it can turn ugly, just like that metaphorical sexual encounter, and the smiles might give way to tears and anger, but just that one day, February 15th made me want to embrace and gently caress what might lie ahead for 2009.

And, it is still too early to have to cut the damn grass.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't see it as a false spring, but as a promise of the spring to come.

4:49 PM  
Blogger vivavavoom said...

I am holding out hope. it is fading here in the US. very hard times and the news is so discouraging, it just feels like everytime you get hopeful, some reality is there to beat you down. still trying to figure out how to fight the psychological component of it so that doesn't become bigger than the reality.
I nominated you btw.

6:40 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I was tempted out last week, to do some cleanup since I hate doing it in the Fall. My poor muscles scolded me for a few days after that.

Today, driving through the wooded area near UBC, there is still snow everywhere. How bizarre is that?

10:43 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Ah faux printemps, I know ye well. But Citizen's right, it WILL be here soon and before you know you'll be living it up in real spring- vive le printemps!

1:23 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I sit here weeping after reading that. We're expecting more snow.

I think I'll go hide under a rock now... if I can find one where the soil isn't frozen solid so I can dig myself a hole.

5:55 AM  
Blogger French Fancy... said...

Well done for getting out there and actually getting on with gardening jobs. I've not yet hard-pruned a lot of the shrubs we have and I must admit I keep putting it off. The next sunny day I will make it out there and follow your example

7:08 AM  
Blogger Vic said...

One downside of spending winters in what some call "paradise" is that there is no anticipation of better things to come, no signs of "Spring", faux or not. It is the changes that make us thankful for what we receive.

And no, I don't expect sympathy from anyone!

9:05 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

We also had several days of distinctly balmy weather which confused the plant life, and then it turned cold again. Of course, in San Francisco, we really don't have any recognizable seasons so our weather is always a surprise.

But as you say, false hope is better than none at all, and I, too, cherish those beautiful "spring" days whenever they arrive.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Pearl said...

It was 50 degrees today in northern Minnesota. I cannot begin to tell you how weird that is, or how an 80-degree swing in temperature in three weeks feels.
Pearl

2:16 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I'm laughing about the grass :)
The only thing I have up is the irises and it will be a while before they bloom. Isn't it neat how a new stem or bud can bring such hope and joy.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

How fantastic that things are bubbling forth.

Sadly, nothing here.

6:06 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Here was me, enviously eyeing the beautiful Autumn Crocuses over here, in someone elses garden. Gom did away with mine, so I have no fake autumn,

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home