Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Nope. So far no replacement for Bogey

I got tagged by Alexandra for this one and since I am in a bit of an inspirational lull au moment, I thought I would do this. I mean, I’ve done a gajillion of these profile things before, but once more won’t hurt. Feel free to move on if you don’t care more than a fiddler’s fart about what makes me tick. Or, take it on yourself and see what you find out about you. However weird (or scary) you want to make it will rest entirely with you.

The object of the exercise is to list 25 things that are part of you. Maybe you alone, or maybe you and the King of the Belgians. So, here’s is a bit about who/what I am on this dreary February morning.

1.I used to suffer almost chronically from insomnia. I didn’t want to use drugs to deal with it, and using booze to sleep is a dangerous habit to get into. So, I developed a certain meditative ability to literally rid my mind of all extraneous thought. It works about 80 percent of the time, which is pretty good.


2. Episodes of Cold Case almost invariably make me feel weepy at the end. The stories are just plain damn sad.

3. Alexandra mentioned having synesthesia. Me too. Consequently, I see days of the week, months of the year, numbers and letters in color. In her case, she also hears in color. I don’t, but I can understand it. I also always dream in color.

4. I got my two best university grades in Slavonics Studies courses, both firsts. I speak no Russian and have never had even a slight desire to visit Russia, with the exception of St. Petersburg, probably. I’d love to see the Hermitage. In one class I sat next to an absolutely stunning and sophisticated and very smart older coed who professed to be a communist. For some reason that was an aphrodisiac for me and made her remote high-cheekboned aloofness even more erotic. She then invited me to go away with her for a weekend and I chickened out. Youth truly is wasted on the young.

5. I have been to one full opera (the lead was Joan Sutherland) and one full ballet in my life. That was enough. But I am happy to have had the experiences in both cases.

6. I have dreams about former cars I’ve owned. I go into a remote garage somewhere and there is an old Ian vehicle. For some reason I have a key for it. I fire it up and it starts immediately. I am delighted and prepare to take it home with me.

7. Speaking of dreams, when I was about 14 I kept a small flock of livestock fowl, chickens, ducks and geese. I still have dreams about them and I am wracked with guilt because I haven’t tended to their needs for so long and feel I must go and see to them, collect eggs and clean out their house. I get to them and they always seem to be OK.

8. One of the first things I do when I arrive at a new place is to get a local newspaper. It gives me the pulse of the place, the politics, the issues and so forth.

9. I studied the violin when I was a kid. I was never very good at it and gave it up after a couple of years. I now regret not being able to play an instrument, since I love music and would love to be able to make my own.

10. I’ve always believed that if I’ve had a romantic interest in somebody that the other person feels the same way about me. In other words, they have given off vibes indicating they are approachable. I still believe from experience that is true about 80 percent of the time

11. I have significant acrophobia. I detest heights and even find it difficult to watch films of high steel workers and rock climbers. Ironically, flying doesn’t bother me at all, even though being in a tall building does. If I am higher than the fifth floor I cannot go out on a balcony.

12. I’m not very mystical. I don’t really believe in fortune-telling, astrology and other forms of soothsaying. I’d like to, but I don’t.

13. Yet, I do believe in the power of positive thinking. I believe positive thoughts attract positives, and negative thinking leads to negative results. I honestly believe there is a cellular thing in all of this and I have seen it happen with myself and others.

14. Is there life on other planets? Of course there is. Indeed, if we accept the premise the universe is infinite in its magnitude, then there is life on an infinite number of planets. I don’t believe for a second we are alone in the universe. Why are we so arrogant as to assume that?

15. That said, I’m not much of a sci-fi buff. Fantasy tales in general leave me cold, for the most part. But, I am intrigued by the concept of time-travel and time-warps. Such sagas will set my imagination soaring.

16. I haven’t danced around the house in years. I used to, whether I was alone or not. Then it stopped. Why is that? It’s sort of like when children run for the sheer exuberance of it and then, in adulthood they don’t. Why do we stop?

17. Even though my financial advisor at my bank is easy on the eyes, charming and intelligent, I still hate banks and everything they stand for. Same with insurance companies.

18. I can say without fear of divine retribution that I have never stolen anything in my life. I think I was always afraid I would get caught. I once years ago ‘borrowed’ a guy’s wife. It’s a long story and not one I’m proud of, but I didn’t steal her.

19. I don’t trust guys who part their hair down the middle. It shows an inability to commit.

20. Pregnant women should not wear bikinis at the beach. Just a personal esthetic bias.

21. If a woman bends over and shows a great deal of cleavage all heterosexual men wiil look. So will a surprising number of heterosexual women.

22. I have never watched an episode of ER all the way through. I don’t find illness and injury to be entertainment. I feel the same way about House, though Hugh Laurie is superlative. No, give me old-fashioned crime saga any day.

23. And, while on the topic, I still miss Jerry Orbach’s Lenny.

24. I still think Billy Bob Thornton’s Slingblade is one of the best movies ever.

25. They haven’t yet found acceptable replacements for Humphrey Bogart, Spencer Tracy or Bob Mitchum.

Rats. Just when I was getting on a roll I completed my 25. As I said, no tagging here, but it’s another one of those stream-of-consciousness relatively easy exercises. Try it, if so inclined.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wore a bikini at the beach when I was 7-months pregnant, because I wanted the baby to get the sun (at some point they can detect light through the skin). I was given a look of disgust by a man in a bathing suit (no shirt) with a FAR larger belly than my own. I thought it was an astonsihing display of hypocrisy.

3:08 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Agree with so many of your listed points.
I am terrified of heights, but I love flying!
I enjoyed reading this.

3:53 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

We always get a local paper when we travel.
I've never watched "Cold Case" but as the people are already dead, I don't see how there could be a happy ending.
You should dance around the house. I do it all the time.
You do not have fear of heights - you have fear of falling. They are actually different things. I also have fear of falling. I think it just means we are both smart.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Slingblade is indeed one of the best movies ever.

7:27 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

19. I don’t trust guys who part their hair down the middle. It shows an inability to commit.

My god, that made me laugh out loud. Tht truth makes me weep (with laughter).

1:14 PM  
Blogger French Fancy... said...

You lucky man having heard La Sutherland sing. She is no beauty but oh can she sing.

I thought everyone dreamed (or is it dreamt?) in colour

Dancing round the house is good - you should take it up again.

I love these sorts of tags.

6:56 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I also have dreams regularly about the horses I used to have. In these dreams, they are in a remote field through thick woods and I suddenly realize that I haven't fed them in a long time. I find them and they are fine, but I always feel horribly guilty when I wake up although I took very good care of them in real life.

I don't think the incident with another guy's wife counts as borrowing, even, since presumably he did not own her.

I wore bikinis while pregnant. I never got very large, but that wasn't really relevant. I had never worn any other kind of swimwear and wasn't about to buy a skirted lampshade.

We miss Jerry Orbach, too. Did you know that he was a Broadway musical comedy star before he worked in TV?

10:50 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

I made a gaffe when I suggested pregnant women should not wear bikinis. Of course they should wear what they choose, including swimming naked. I have, especially after a couple of apt comments by readers, changed my mind on this one, since I suddengly felt terribly old fashioned.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I've learnt such a lot about you from this. I'm surprised you are not mystical, and I agree with you about positive thinking.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I thought #19 (I don’t trust guys who part their hair down the middle. It shows an inability to commit.) was very clever.

And then read that it hit Kimber the same way. I hate not being original.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

I think you should post a video of you dancing around the house. ;-)

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home