Monday, February 02, 2009

Let the revels begin

Today is Groundhog Day. To some this might mean little, but for me it is my chosen holiday of the year. No fuss, no muss, no gifts, no guilt, no anxiety, no overindulgence, nobody picking up a shotgun and wasting his family just because he couldn’t cope with the pressure of the occasion and was filled with resentments over Groundhog Days past. For, all GHD offers is a slight element of hope and a forecast that spring is on the horizon.

Today is Groundhog Day. To some this might mean little, but for me it is the best holiday of the year. No fuss, no muss, no gifts, no guilt, no anxiety, no overindulgence, nobody picking up a shotgun and wasting his family just because he couldn’t cope with the pressure of the occasion and was filled with resentments over Groundhog Days past. For, all GHD offers is a slight element of hope and a forecast that spring is on the horizon.

I’m sorry, but the topic invariably put me in mind of one of the most underrated film tales of recent years, the inspired and even inspiring Groundhog Day.

Feel free to cue Sonny and Cher’s I Got You, Babe.

I’ll begin by stating that I am an unrepentant Bill Murray fan. Any world that offers a place to Bill, and yet still makes room for a Howie Mandel or Adam Sandler is beyond my comprehension, but I have no power over that.

Of course GHD is an allegory. It’s a morality play. It’s a study of sin and redemption much as is Dickens’ A Christmas Carol – and arguably just as effective.

Aside from being extremely funny, GHD looks at how we fall into traps of our own selfish devising and lose touch of how we might extricate ourselves. Murray is jaded and cynical Pittsburgh TV weatherman, Phil Connors. He and a TV crew have been sent to the little town of Punxutawney, PA for the annual awakening of the famed local rodent of the groundhog sort, Punxutawney Phil. Weatherman Phil is insulted and bored by the gig, but sees it as a possible opportunity to get into the pants of pretty assistant, Rita (Andie MacDowell).

What happens, as we know, is a miracle of sorts. As weatherguy Phil is forced to relive what he has already deemed the worst day of his life, he eventually begins to assess where he might have gone wrong all along the way and that the wretchedness of his existence is of his own devising, and nobody else’s. What he ultimately realizes is that he has been undergoing the best of all humbling experiences. What seemed like a curse is really a gift.

Ultimately Phil has his epiphany and becomes a new and decent man and, incidentally, does get into Rita’s aforementioned pants. See, guys, as Otis Redding once said, sometimes all it takes is to try a little tenderness.

For me, this is one of those extremely rare films that I’ve actually viewed a number of times since its release in 1993. In re-viewing I live a certain Groundhog Day of my own with it because I find I get a little more from it each time.

As for the real Groundhog Day, it’s primarily a silly thing. The myth is that if Punxutawney Phil or any other groundhog actually casts a shadow on Feb. 2(which is meant to send him scurrying back to his burrow), we are due for six more weeks of winter. Eek. What a terrible thing. But, wait a minute, here’s the flaw in this. Whether or not he sees his shadow, we’re still due for six more weeks of winter because that time span will take us up to around March 21, the Equinox and hence the beginning of spring.

Oh well. Regardless of that, it’s still my favorite low-stress and expectations day.

Looking outside this morning, thought, I perceive scant chance of the little rodent bugger seeing his shadow in these here parts today. Yay! In six weeks it will be full-blown spring. The groundhog never lies. Come to think of it, we don't actually groundhogs in this area. Would a rare Vancouver Island Marmot do?

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Warty Mammal said...

Yes! By all means, cue the marmots!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

This is one of my favorites as well. I wonder if it's on today. We could use some more winter here in LA since we've been hitting 80 degrees regularly over the past month and are definitely not getting the amount of rain we should.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greta movie. The little booger saw his shadow and I feel sure that caused today's snow.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

And here it is Snow Day. We are covered in the white stuff. Hope you had a great day.

12:06 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

That's one of the movies I will watch whenever it is on even though I also own it. And as a joke, we always say, "I'm watching Groundhog Day....again."

As for the weather prediction, it doesn't apply to us. Winter is pretty much over here by the middle of February, with maybe two cold days in March.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

I am ALL for holidays with no anxiety or shopping involved. And I recommended the movie Groundhog Day TWICE today. :)

Happy Groundhog Day, Ian! It sorta sucks about the little marmot (or whatever's) prediction, but as long as the snow stays away I casn live with it.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Ha! shadow or not, around these parts we're in for way more than 6 weeks more winter.

And as Citizen so aptly pointed out in her own groundhog post, the only one pissed off should be the poor groundhog. Maybe next year he'll have rabies and bite the guy who pulls him out of sleep. And it would be well deserved.

Oh, and I love groundhog day too.

6:30 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I've always thought the basic premise of Groundhog Day a tad flawed, but as you say, how can one argue with a holiday that involves no guilt, no gifts, no in-laws, no special foods and no Hallmark cards?

But maybe I just don't drink enough.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Pearl said...

I laughed out loud when you repeated the first paragraph. Nicely done!
I hadn't thought of GHD, as a holiday, in the terms you describe, so I want to thank you for that. It is, indeed, a low-pressure, low-stress kind of holiday. Now we just need to keep really quiet about that before someone gets it into their head to "decorate"...
Pearl

2:03 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

GHD is and will remian one of my all time favorites.. i can watch it again and again and again.....

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home