Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Life flows and ebbs like the sea


Death really can upset your day and throw your plans asunder.

I got up this morning after my typical lousy sleep, switched on the coffeemaker and then my computer, in my usual fashion. Then the coffee can be ready for when Wendy arises and I will be abreast of what is happening in the world – especially ‘my’ world.

One of the first things to hit my eye was an email message titled ‘How sad.” I felt my heart skip a beat. The two words were both cryptic and powerful. Something bad had happened overnight. My first thought was, especially after the Inauguration hoopla yesterday, was that something evil had happened to the Obamas, God forbid.

But, it was closer to home. Somebody had died. A friend. A friend not so very much older than I. This guy was also a politician. In fact, he was a high-ranking politician in BC government and was, in fact, a long-time member of cabinet.

So, I knew him as a politician. He was a good one who served his constituents well. Sometimes I agreed with him politically and other times, contrarian that I am, I thoroughly disagreed with him and couldn’t support certain stances that he assumed. That’s OK. He understood, that is in the nature of the political racket. I am cynical about politicians and politics. This fellow, on the other hand, lived and breathed the game.

But, my acquaintanceship with him, and unbeknownst to many others, was also at a much deeper level. At a time of unremitting personal woes more than a dozen years ago, this man reached out to me in friendship and support. He didn’t need to. He had nothing to gain by so-doing. His gesture was unexpected, and that is the best sort of gesture. It is also the mark of a genuine caring human being. I cherished what he did, and cherished the words he expressed to me. Indeed, they gave me more hope than a lot of the hollow platitudes that were passed my way at the time.

I have never forgotten what he did, and never shall. When friends and acquaintances would speak with disdain of something he had or hadn’t done as a politician, I would always say: “He was very good to me at a bad time in my life, and that really counts a great deal.”

And now he’s dead. Just like that. Massive heart attack took him out very quickly. That, in itself, is good.

His death isn’t. Right now I am trying to get my head around it. Throws a fellow’s other plans for the day all to hell.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger kimber said...

I found out this morning. I'm still reeling. How can death come so quickly, especially when the sun is shining?

The best sort of people do small, poignant things that often go unnoticed, not for the glory but for greater reasons -- your personal recollection speaks volumes.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Gosh my condolences Ian - it's always tough when someone special goes - especially unexpectedly.
What a caring and compassionate man he must have been to reach out like he did.

12:35 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

sorry for your loss, ian :(

2:01 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Funny -- I heard the news this morning and when it was mentioned that he'd been MLA for the Comox Valley I wondered if you were acquainted with him. Sorry for your sad day.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. That's hard.

6:08 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

How sad for you Ian. It is always a shock when someone goes unexpectedly like that. It brings one to a halt so sharply but you have good memories of the man and what more can we ask but that we are remembered for our kind acts instead of our misdeeds.

6:48 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Condolences for the loss of a person who was good to you, in your personal journey.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I am so sorry to hear of this, Ian. Those who pass on younger than they should and unexpectedly...it's always so much harder. Hugs to you.

2:30 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

It's always hard to lose a friend. You have all my sympathy.

9:22 AM  
Blogger geewits said...

I'm sorry you lost your friend. As long as you remember him and tell people of his good deed, he will live on.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

You have my condolences. What a tough way to start the day.

You are blessed to have great memories of someone who touched your life so profoundly.

This post is a tribute to your friend's character. It's also one more example of why you have endeared yourself to your readers.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

So sorry for the loss of your friend Ian. Take care of yourself,and cherish your special memories of him.
V.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I have a thought about death that I have rolling around in my mind. Problem is, I think I will take some heat for it. A bit wacky and unfeeling, my thought is.

I am sorry for your loss, Ian. Sounds like he was a remarkable and unusual man. The world is diminished.

4:29 AM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

Aw, hell. I'm very sorry.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home