Friday, January 02, 2009

That was the year that was -- it's over, let it pass

Is it Tina or Sarah?

The year has come and gone and it behooves me to consider what the preceding year meant. Actually, I lifted this from blogger Me and included some of my own thoughts, for what they’re worth. It’s kind of a fun little exercise if you want to give it a shot.


1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? Had an ultrasound. They’re not as much fun as they’re cracked up to be.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? As I said before, I do ‘intentions’ not resolutions, and I realized that I had attained three in 2008. Well, 3 ½ to be precise.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Not that I am aware of, and if so it definitely wasn’t mine.
4. Did anyone close to you die? An increasing array each passing year with two valued, albeit older, friends shuffling off this mortal coil.
5. What countries did you visit? The United States or, as I like to call it, the Great Kingdom of Hawaii where Queen Liliukalani. rests with Pele throughout eternity. Aloha Oe’
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? To have gone back in time by a year, like Benjamin Button as long as that wish doesn’t mean I have to be saddled with Angelina and the brats – well maybe her alone for an afternoon and evening.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? June 20 when I had my health scare incident and Sept. 5 when we took off for and landed on Kauai for 10 days.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Going back to my addictions counseling career on a part-time basis and realizing I still had the skills and actually could get a great deal out of doing it for others.
9. What was your biggest failure? I had none. No, I lie. I haven’t yet entirely quit smoking, although my intake is minuscule and diminishing all the time. This is my quest for 09.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Yes, as indicated. Awakening with a completely numb and useless hand is a frightening thing. Fortunately it passed with no residual after-effects.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Nothing really noteworthy was purchased. I’m kind of proud of that. Oh, well except for the trip to Kauai.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My own for taking proactive control of my health. And Wendy for proving the true meaning of ‘helpmate’ in a time of duress.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? The bastards who pass themselves off as political leaders in this country.
14. Where did most of your money go? Paying bills to keep solvent.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Wendy moving back home full-time from Victoria. Was a wonderful thing.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008? Probably Fiest’s 1-2-3-4. Not because it’s a great song, it’s just kinda cute and stuck itself in my mind for a while.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder? Happier.b) thinner or fatter? Thinner c) richer or poorer? Financially better off (for now).
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Made love, but I always wish that. Life is short.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Smoking.
20. How did you spend Christmas? A quiet Christmas at home with no fuss, no muss and it was peaceful and serene.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008? I must always be in love.
22. What was your favorite TV program? Probably 30-Rock. And especially that for wonderful Tina Fey who, with no shame, has admitted she was a virgin until age 25.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Nah, I don’t do hate, just detestation.
24. What was the best book you read? I read so many that I cannot narrow it down.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Not much in the way of discovery. Contemporary music continues to deteriorate hideously and I keep wondering what has happened to female vocalists (not wailers). But, if you haven’t happened upon screwed up Amy Winehouse, give yourself a musical treat be cause she is remarkably good, and just hope the stupid girl gets well rather than killing herself.
26. What did you want and get? For Wendy to stop having to do the Victoria commute.
27. What did you want and not get? Soaring investments rather than the opposite.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? I do videos not new films. Once the films of this year are out on video I shall let you know.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?Nothing I recall and I’ll only say that I am old enough and not yet too old.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? A month rather than just 10 days on Kauai.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? One of general disregard other than to dress appropriately for the occasion. A sweatshirt and jeans do not do it for a funeral, slobs. Show some respect. Otherwise I don’t follow fashion fads but love classics.
32. What kept you sane? Letting go as much as I could.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Maybe this should read: which celebrity/public figure repulsed me the least.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? Probably the US presidential election and the victory of Obama.
35. Who did you miss? Those that have passed beyond this sphere.
36. Who was the best new person you met? Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside sawbones and compassion guru, Dr. Gabor Mate.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. It’s a good life if you don’t weaken, as my Cockney landlady used to say back in Great Yarmouth in 1980.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
You can’t always get what you want.
But if you try sometimes, you just might find,
You get what you need.”

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Voyager said...

Happy New Year Ian! I'm looking forward to reading this list next year, and all the musings in between.
J.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Adele said...

happy new year.

10:13 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Happy New Year Ian.
I like your list.
Keep trying to quit. You can do it.
I have been smoke free for 13.

2:04 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I am still thinking about a post for this new year. I may try this... or I may not!
Some invisible 'being' is haunting me with incredibly beautiful perfume, & I am trying to work out they who & the why.

I consider quittting smoking one of my best achievements- it is a devil addiction.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Vic said...

Happy New Year, Ian. Thought provoking posting as usual. The tropics are indeed nice for longer periods than a few weeks...

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't tell me how often those very lyrics run through my head!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

A fascinating compilation.

May 2009 be kind to you and your wife.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Lulu LaBonne said...

Sounds like a great year for you, I wish you more of the same minus the health scares

9:33 AM  
Blogger Laura Jane Williams said...

I must say, I do rather like the outlook you have on this thing "life"... I like that your perspective helps me think about my own x

9:52 AM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Ian, you inspired me to come out of retirement! Thank you.
J.

10:46 PM  
Blogger lady macleod said...

Fun to read someone else's summation of the year. I wish a joyous year for you in 2009.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I like your use of the word: "intention"

I am totally borrowing it (and referencing you when I use it)

9:58 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

my sole resolve: to be me, but a tad less cantankerous... esp to my children :P lol

4:23 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Happy New Year, Ian! This was a delightful read, as always.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

I love your list.
"I must always be in love" sounds so romantic. It also makes a great quote.

7:23 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

supreme
adidas tubular
adidas gazelle
hermes belts for men
supreme hoodie
hermes handbags
jordan shoes
timberland
longchamp
mbt shoes

4:30 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

kyrie shoes
jordan shoes
jordan 4
moncler outlet
kobe shoes
yeezy
yeezy
retro jordans
hermes
nike sb

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home