Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Blessings of the season to all my friends hither and yon

I have stuff to do over the next little while, so I flagrantly purloined this from Jazz who lifted it (for much the same reason as I did) from A Little Off Kilter. Thank you, ladies. No wonder I hold you both in such high esteem.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I’m a guy. Guys don’t gift-wrap. At least they don’t gift wrap in a manner that suggests some sort of esthetic grace. So, gift bags for sure. Actually, this year we are going ‘green’ since I heard that gift wrap does not break down nicely. So, we’re using newspaper. Aren’t you proud of us? Me, I just got a letter from Al Gore praising me.

2. Real tree or artificial?I love real trees, but a few years ago we opted for a smallish artificial one and I’ve never really regretting the decision. Less mess and it looks fine.

3. When do you put up the tree? About a week before the 25th. And keep it up until Jan. 2nd.

4. When do you take the tree down? Oops, just answered that one.

5. Do you like eggnog? I don’t mind it, but the commercial stuff compares not at all with good homemade. My Aunt Freda made the finest eggnog on the planet, all with whipped-cream and other artery clogging substances just designed as a gift for family members who felt their cholesterol count was too low.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? For Christmas when I was 5 I asked Santa to bring me a windup paddlewheeler and a flashlight. I have no idea why. Yet, I still remember those specific gifts. I also remember I was sick for the kindergarten Christmas party that same year so Santa came by – in full regalia – driving a Chev. No sleigh at all. That was disappointing.

7. Hardest person to buy for? Wendywendywendywendy. Not that she’s pernickety, I just know that she is a woman of strong tastes in certain directions and I hate to disappoint.

8. Easiest person to buy for? In past context, my ex, Trudy. Anything girly and outrageously expensive worked for her.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? Nope.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail to friends far away. Email or nothing for close-at-hand. I still like getting cards.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? There have been some that I haven’t cared for all that much, or that I didn’t really like at the time. My stolidly and hypocritical Presbyterian paternal grandmother was great on religious treatises like a Bible, prayer book, etc. Charmed me little. Yet now I rather value having them.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? The 1950 British film of A Christmas Carol (called Scrooge in the UK) staring the inimitable Alastair Sim as the old Christmas curmudgeon himself. Nobody was ever better in the role, and it has been a must for me every Christmas since I was about 10. I also like (but am tired of) It’s a Wonderful Life. I do a killer Lionel Barrymore impression from that film. There is also a British film called The Holly and the Ivy which concerns a Christmas gathering of dysfunctional adult children. It’s kind of grim in essence, but ultimately a strong message comes through. And, A Christmas Story especially for Darren McGavin.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? As close to the day as I can get away with. Like most males I detest Christmas shopping, the crowds, the acquisitive stupidity and so forth. It holds no pleasure for me.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Not that I recall..

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Not turkey, which I think is highly overrated and nasty to digest. Last year we did prime rib, which was heavenly. As a nod to the francophone side of this country, I love tourtiere. And Wendy makes a killer crème brulee, which I begin to anticipate in about October. And, if I have been to Hawaii the previous year I always bring back a can of Ed and Don’s macadamia nut brittle which I save for Christmas.

16. Lights on the tree? Of course. A combo of little fairy lights and some more recent small LED lights.

17. Favorite Christmas song? I am so tired of Christmas songs by this point that I am almost ready to puke if I hear another. Traditionally, though I like the classical Christmas carols by the Kings College Choir of Cambridge, or some other wonderful choir and a mammoth pipe organ must provide the music or it’s no good. Otherwise, I like Bobby Helms’ Jingle Bell Rock, der Bingle’s White Christmas, the Pogues’ Fairytale of New York (featuring the heavenly and adored voice of sadly lamented and loved Kirsty MacColl), and Elvis’s Blue Christmas.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Would kill to be away at Christmas. Someplace warm where Christmas is not a big deal. Family gatherings out-of-town? Not so much. Now that Wendy and I are both orphans we don’t need to do that any more.


19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? Of course I can, but I’m not going to bother. But, let’s get one thing straight. I saw one of them in an advertisement referred to as ‘Donner’. It’s DonDer, folks. Buncha morons, I tell ya.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? An old Father Christmas kind of guy with a long white beard and golden robe.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Morning, always. My ex was Swedish and they did it Christmas Eve. I thought that sucked because it made Christmas morning an anti-climax. Mind you, life with her was kind of an anti-climax anyway, but enough about that.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Virtually everything I can think of except for the things I like, which I have already indicated. Yet, I long for Jan. 2 so that all the nonsense will be over.

23. Favorite ornament theme or color? Some things we’ve picked up on our travels. Otherwise, they don’t excite me too much. Wendy has a snowman kind of home craft thing that I utterly detest. But, it gets trotted out regardless each and every year. That’s OK. Wouldn’t be Christmas without that ugly bit of crap.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Virtually anything but turkey, as I have indicated. I must confess, though, that I love turkey sandwiches and turkey soup. This year we are doing Cornish game hens. And I already mentioned the crème brulee.

25. What do you want for Christmas this year? Survival. Except for that, we both have pretty much all that we need, and considering the bleak existences of some, we have way more than we need, or even want. I do try to share, but probably don’t devote enough time to so doing.

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Hanukkah to all my blogger friends wherever you might be. Follow your hearts and have a blessed season.

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Dumdad said...

Strange thing, Christmas. We enjoy it but rather look forward to when it's all over. I'd happily skip most of it but my kids love it and all that goes with it. I even import Christmas crackers so they don't miss out (the French don't do crackers and think we are).

Joyeux Noël!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Joyeux Noël et Bonne Année to you and those you love. :o)

8:42 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

It seems like you have Christmas all sussed out. Have a wonderful time with your loved ones Ian.

11:28 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

Happy Christmas Ian, to you and Wendy. Enjoy the cornish game hens and the crème brulée.

1:15 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Merry Christmas Ian to you and your family.
My daughter wants to make creme brulle. Can Wendy help please?
We are doing total sea food for Christmas dinner this year. We are protesting turkey twice in a month. Make me gag for sure. And a vegetarian dish for my youngest so he doesn't eat just potatoes and left over veggie lasagna from his dads last weekend.
It's also supposed to be 80 and sunny. Can I really get away with some beach time for a few hours without anyone noticing. ;-}

Have an awesome Christmas day!!!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Merry Christmas to you as well! I snickered when I read the comment about your Swedish ex.

Take care. :)

1:48 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

Merry Christmas to you, Ian, and a happy New Year! (Now I'm craving creme brulee....)

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this one is getting around. This female doesn't enjoy Christmas shopping either. On-line is the way to go.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

Merry Christmas to you and Wendy!

6:58 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

I've been able to get away with almost no Christmas music until the past couple of days. Yippee! :) A Merry Christams to you, Ian, and your loved ones. xo

7:09 PM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

Don't think I've ever seen the Holly and Ivy movie. It sounds interesting.

Merry Christmas!! Heard you guys have a lot of snow too :)

6:32 AM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

A very merry christmas to you dear Ian. Love the questions...I might steal these for my blog. It has been a real pleasure to know you these past years in the blog world. Your gift of kindness shines for all to see.

May you have a magical holiday!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

No egg nog! It always smells weird to me!

Have a lovely Christmas, Ian!

8:12 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

A very Merry Christmas to you and yours Ian! May peace and joy be yours in 2009.

4:59 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

just wanted to drop in and let you know how happy i am to have met you... merry christmas my new friend,,, and a happy new year as well.....

8:02 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

hi Ian, i'm just now making my rounds, so i'm a little late, but Merry Christmas to you and Wendy.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Laura Jane Williams said...

It has been quite refreshing to read of somebody with quite a similar take on all of this nonsense as I!

x

9:27 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Merry Christmas Ian to you and your family. I'm not a great fan of Christmas anymore but this year was indeed special. We got to spend it with our 20 mth old granddaughter. That makes it special...ciao

7:43 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Wow. We almost had the same grandmother except mine was maternal and Baptist. They are probably hanging out together in the special place reserved for people like that. And on that note, I hope you had a nice Christmas.

1:54 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

Great post Ian.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home