Friday, December 12, 2008

Sorry -- can't make it. Whatever night it is I'll be washing my hair

Some people like to rock some people like to roll
But movin' and a groovin' gonna satisfy my soul
Let's have a party ooh let's have a party

One of the really pleasant aspects of not having a full-time job is that I will never-ever have to undergo the rigors of an office party at any time.

Christmas season is, for whatever reason, the time of the hideous gathering of co-workers at all levels in the business hierarchy, throw them all in an assembly place, ply them with huge quantities of booze, feed them with crappy rubber-chicken meals, punctuated with assorted hors d’ouevre (hors de combat, I say) and demand that they have a good time with one another.

In the first place there is a fatal flaw in the scenario. The assumption is that everybody that works together wants to play together. Nonsense. I have always had colleagues who became friends, and I would socialize with them, regardless. As for the rest, they were just colleagues. In fact, and this is invariably the case, I didn’t even like some of them.

The merriment of Mr. Fezziwig’s jolly Christmas party is a piece of Dickens fiction, not real life. And the fact that such gatherings are de facto 'compulsory' makes the concept even ghastlier.

In the second place, there is an assumption that there is something ‘matey’ and democratic about killing the pecking order so that folk can have fun together. This is balderdash. The boss is still the boss even if he/she well into his/her cups tells a subordinate all the sordid details of said boss’s personal life. Come Monday the subordinate will find that the old order has not changed at all. This moment will be especially poignant for the dude who decided at the party it might be cool to put moves on Mr. Big’s 20-years-younger bimbo wife.

I had a female subordinate at my newspaper who, there is no question, ‘liked’ me. I never gave her any encouragement in that direction, and I honestly liked her and respected her in a boss-subordinate manner. She was talented and accomplished at what she did.

But, at the annual Christmas party she would drink. She and alcohol were not a good combination. When she got drunk she would decide it was high time she declare her passion for me. Indeed, she would even try to demonstrate her passion for me. She would ask me to dance and grind her pelvic bone into me and try to wetly kiss me at every chance she got. In fact, she was so overt that my wife of the day wasn’t even offended because she knew my colleague was drunk and meant no threat. I, however, found it a tad embarrassing. Being publicly humped by a co-worker in open view does tend to mortify. Even in private, if such attentions are unsought, it's distressing.

Of course, come Monday she would be filled with remorse and apologize profusely. I would always be forgiving and tell her there was no cause for concern. I would say that because I wanted to keep her as an assistant and also because I knew that next year the scenario would be re-enacted. Kind of in the nature of parties, alas.

Those particular parties were back in the days when I still hoisted a few. Though even then, as a mid-manager, I was always pretty circumspect about my consumption at office parties just so I didn’t make a buffoon of myself and give people something (more) to gossip about. When I began seeing the female colleague who was to become my second wife they already had mucho fodder for gossip.

(Someday, by the way, I’ll write about how office romances – even when the parties are unencumbered by spouses etc. – are never-ever-ever a good idea.)

Later, when I quit drinking about 12 years ago, workplace shindigs became truly obnoxious. And, more than that, they became horribly boring. This only led me to believe they had always been boring and people only drank too much to alleviate that reality. Imposed merriment never works.

Yet still, the parties go on. Yet still people get polluted, make passes at those they shouldn’t, fool themselves that they are having a grand time and then, well over the limit, they get into their vehicles and drive home.

Hopefully they get there.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

Luckily, I never attended one. I got "sick" a lot around that time of year. :) Still, I would hear the gossip following the parties and that was quite enough for me!



~*

1:55 PM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

You write the most marvelous posts.

Office parties - feh! I've no interest in participating in the gatherings "below stairs" that the master has put on as a special treat for the servants. Also, as you have alluded to, such parties are too often an opportunity for drunken misbehavior followed by regret, as well as learning things that lessen one's respect for one's colleagues.

Where is it written that we have to be friends with our work colleagues or be "one big, happy family"? Isn't it sufficient that people act professionally and cooperate during business hours?

I think ThailandChani has the right idea with getting sick.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I work by myself, having a solo practice, so I get out of the Holiday Party too ;)

I'm shy and tend to like more quiet affairs.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Couldn't agree more about the boringness alleviated only by too much booze! So funny how everything seems totally pointless when you don't drink- it gives you the push to do something worthwhile with your time instead.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

oh my...i totally agree with you on this one. i loathe work holiday parties. i went to one once where they actually had a fake elvis show up. it was...memorable in a bad way.

sorry i have not been here in awhile. i shall make up for it now!

12:32 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

What a great post. Brought back some unhappy memories of office parties! I was always very careful not to have more than one or two drinks, bearing in mind the hideous behaviour of others- plus the fact I had to drive myself home.
Seeing things, & overhearing other things, I would have to remind myself on the next working day, that those acts, & comments were probably alcohol fuelled.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

Hey, Ian, be glad that you are not in charge of PLANNING the damn party for your colleagues.

As I am.

Annual nightmare.

Call me Carrie Nation if you will, but one of my prerogatives as the planner is to leave alcohol out of the event. If people don't like that, they can stay home. I don't care to read the next day in the paper that some teacher got sauced and ran over Grandma on the way home.

I gave up years ago on Christmas carols and other warm fuzzies. All these people want to do is dance their %%$#&* off, so I hire a D.J. and let em.

3:42 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

then there's the guy in van, friday, who decided to kill someone at the xmas party, presumably pist he was fired the day before?

4:37 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

No holiday parties for me, either. As for your former assistant and her grinding - ewwww!

3:41 AM  
Blogger Lulu LaBonne said...

It all sounds so exotic, I've never been to an office party.

3:51 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Sounds a nightmare to me!

I am so gretful i dont work in an office!

4:13 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

How do I hate office parties? Let me count the ways!

2:39 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

there are times being rather weird pays off... i get invited,, but noone ever really expects me to come.....

6:21 PM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

I saw this slideshow and thought of your essay:

http://todayspictures.slate.com/20081216/

Just what you always wanted. Photos of people making drunken asses of themselves at the office party.

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home