Friday, November 28, 2008

Lying awake at night, fretting over Jenny's plight

“It’s for you,” Wendy said, holding out the telephone handset in my direction and rolling her eyes heavenward, “It’s Jenniferrrrr – again!”

I also rolled my eyes, but took call.

“Hi, Rache,” I said. “S’up?”

She hates me calling her by her Friends name, but let’s face it, that long-running TV series was her brief moment of glory.

“So, hon’,” I said. “Yes, I’ve seen all the tab covers about poor you versus that bitch Angelina. And stop reading Perez Hilton. Actually, ‘read’ is too approving a word in the case of his gossip-mongering, but you get my drift. “He is obsessed with so-called ‘Brangelina’ and there’s nothing you can do about it. His readers are OC 17-year-old girls who fail to appreciate that Brad and weird alien Angelina are the same age as their parents – and about as exciting.”

The foregoing is, needless to say, a representation that doesn’t reflect any sort of reality.

But, it struck me yesterday at the supermarket, as I scanned the tabs that despite the fact the world’s economies are going to hell in a handcart, Jen and Angelina still make the preponderant copy. in those rags.

Even Canada’s self-christened ‘National Magazine’, Maclean’s – for readers outside Canada, Maclean’s is a north-of-the-border equivalent of Time and Newsweek as they were back in the days when they offered a little more reading than a Denny’s menu – has an article inset (and accompanying ‘analysis’ story inside) title Aniston’s fall from sweetheart to spinster. How that must sting. ‘Spinster!’ Spinster connotes hair-in-a-bun, sensible shoes and knees always held always tightly together except during private communion with the commode. Good thing there is about as much likelihood of Jen actually scrutinizing Maclean’s as there is of her browsing through Plato’s Republic.

It must be a galling thing for a public personage to find themselves an object either of derision or, worse yet, pity. ‘Jenny the loser’ is the underlining message. Dumped by her hunky hubby and left to while away her tabloid fodder by getting ‘involved’ with one nonentity dude after another, it must ultimately make it difficult to get up in the morning. How did it all go wrong? I mean, aside from that incursion by that bitch Angelina who, while she is out saving all the children in the world, seemed to see nothing morally offensive about trolling for other women’s husbands. Oh well, none of my business.

Jenny reminds me of those sorority chicks in my university days, much as did Meg Ryan before she astonishingly decided to trash her own lovely face in some sort of bizarre ‘enhancement’ process. You know, the sort of sweetie who would respond with a “Hi – whoever,” when a downmarket guy like me had caught her eye. She was too busy checking out which frat-rat was drving the hottest car that corporate daddy’s money could buy.

But, maybe I sell her short. Maybe she has more depth than a sheet of paper. Maybe all the silly stories about her pining away for her erstwhile Muffin Man are just that, silly stories.

Finally, though, she should probably grow up and face the grim reality that maybe “he just wasn’t all that into you.” We’ve all had to do that at one time or another, hon’, so this time it’s your turn. And, you can take a little solace in the fact that your straying former spouse actually has to live with and be ‘nanny’ for a woman who once carried Billy Bob Thornton’s blood in a vial around her neck.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Daisy said...

Er, how did you know I'd be the first to comment on this one?!! A tirade after my own heart I must say - the media is just so ridiculous trawling all this up the whole time- the fact is Jen has now just joined the ranks of rather lovely LA types who have a hard time finding a decent guy - whether she used to be married to someone with the acting ability of a frozen pea is beside the point! Brad deserves his crazy-siren-lady and Jen just needs to get out of LA and meet a down to earth type. Or come to Paris and be my best gal-pal?!

12:23 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

My informant in Hollywood swears that Brad is ready to leave and that Angelina says, "Give me the kids and get out of here" to her troop of nannies the second she spies a camera so she can pose as Mother of the Year yet again.

Jen is deeply insecure and has serious body issues, which is why she was unwilling to give birth.

Why any of this should take precedence over the financial downfall of the world is beyond me... comic relief, maybe?

8:59 PM  
Blogger vivavavoom said...

oh please....jennifer aniston opened up the can of worms to a magazine about her life with her ex because she has a movie coming out...that is the deal, that is how Hollywood works. and she is now on the cover of every magazine and being discuseed in blogs. publicity good or bad is still publicity and she makes lousy movies and depserately needs some publicity. I find it rather sad and telling that in the magazine she of course talks glowingly about her ex but thinks Angelina is the person in the wrong. ummm... he is the one who possibly cheated and left you. Sure Angelina is not a saint and certainly was and still is bizarre, but c'mon, she needs to move on. they now have a continent of kids, they are saving the world and who cares that Jennifer and Brad didn't make it...shit happens. girl needs some therapy and a better agent.

9:38 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

We get items about movie 'stars' on our national news! WTF?? Who cares what some ditzy twit is doing in their life?
No wonder I rarely watch the TV any more, nor read the papers. What ever happened to important things, & true 'reporting'?

2:37 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

It's amazing how these stories take on a life of their own and just go on and on. That said, the publications only sell because we consumers buy them.

I am so sick of the Brad/Angelina/Jen covers. Yawn!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

LOL, the phone call is funny, Ian!

After I saw Mr. & Mrs. Smith, I found myself thinking that I might leave my husband for Angelina too... but then I came to my senses, thank goodness!

Jen just keeps doing the same role over and over. Not really a risk taker as an actress. She can't even change her hair for a role. It's weird. And now she's with John Mayer??? Eww!

Ok, I am waay too into this mess!

1:39 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

knees always held always tightly together except during private communion with the commode.

Priceless.

Without people like that, I would have to live without nuggets like this. The trade off, I think, is worth it.

5:20 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

moncler outlet
kobe shoes
jordan shoes
converse outlet
air max 90
air max 270
supreme
nike air max 270
golden goose
balenciaga shoes

4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home