Wednesday, November 19, 2008

This is the nadir of the Age of Aquarius

“Don’t be discouraged by a failure. It can be a positive experience. Failure is, in a sense, the highway to success, inasmuch as every discovery of what is false leads us to seek earnestly after what is true, and every fresh experience points out some form of error which we shall afterwards carefully avoid.”~ John Keats


I read recently of a high school in Saskatchewan of which the principal has decided that the institution will no longer hand out Fs for failing a course, but will substitute Is for Incomplete.

How sweet.

Yet, I didn’t even need to go to second glance to realize that there is a flaw in this metaphorical ointment, in that a letter is just a letter (and a kiss is just a kiss, but that’s another matter) and whether your slacker boy or girl out there on the bald prairie has an I or F on that report card, they will still need to repeat the course. This, of course, means that your kid FAILED!

The very caring principal (as opposed to the very 'I don’t give a shit' principal that I had) felt that the symbolic power of that F stood in good stead of utterly ruining your spawn, and possibly turning him or her to a life of depravity and/or crime.

To this I say ‘meadowmuffins.’

It is not uncommon for the more sensitive of pedants to have a very skewed view of life’s realities. I should know because I once worked with a few examples. When you through in an overweening political correctness, not to mention a desire to never offend a parent, you have a recipe for disaster. You have also shovelled a good dollop of coal onto the fire of an adolescent sense of entitlement. A sense of entitlement that is bound to get mighty short shrift in the more pressing financial and employment times we will be facing.

“Hey, dude, I didn’t flunk because I’m the best. My Mom said.”

What I don’t understand is how this prissy headmaster thinks what he is doing is a favor to a kid. You are, my pedagogical friend, denying the young slacker a specific right, which is the right to fail. I think that is written into the constitution. If not, it should be. Of all of life’s lessons, abject failure brings forth survival skills so that we have ammunition against ultimate failure.

Hey, here’s a thought, Mr. principal-man, we ‘learn’ from our hardest lessons and failure happens to be one of the pivotal ones.

Look at John McCain, he just failed. You don’t see him whining or feeling that he now must hang his head in disgrace. Look at Richard Nixon. Naah, maybe not. OK, Sarah Palin., Oh, right, her failure was 10th grade geography, the Africa chapter. Well, OK, maybe we don’t all learn, but you get my drift.

I failed senior math in high school. I failed senior math because I literally never cracked a book on the subject from September to June. I think it was something to do with the angora sweater person sitting across from me. So, I flunked. There it was. Great big F. No semi-neutral I on the card my folks had to sign. So, I didn’t officially graduate high school because of that one intercoursing course.

I had to repeat it. Fortunately in BC in those days they had such a thing called senior matric, or Grade 13. It was really freshman college in terms of credits, but a body could take it and make up for a failure. Well I, grudgingly, yet having no choice, took grade 13 and repeated my math course. The failure, and the mortification made me want to apply myself. I did. I ended up with the highest grade in the school in senior math.

From that point there was no looking back. Academically, at least. There was a certain amount of looking back in other realms. But, at least I’d learned how to handle failure and truly, despite what the principal believes, no stigma of failure has followed me in my assorted professional callings.

Flunk the little bastards, I say! It’ll do ‘em a world of good.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Hermes said...

Any comment on a report card is fair game for me. I have never made a teacher change a grade unless they have not followed ministry guidelines. But I do want teachers to be informed about the consequences of their comments. I want people to know that they are inviting hostility and possibly condemnation. If they feel strongly about the comment or grade they have given, I will stand behind them and use the contoversy to raise awareness of an issue. But some teachers have given me a hard time and have written some pretty stupid things on report cards just because they were having a hard time or were in a bad mood. I can see the logic in what this guy wanted to do, avoiding pitched battles over respectful vocabulary and self-esteem damaging grades. But, you are right. Its the wrong call because the grade isn't what matters. The motivation does matter and it is likely to be different for everyone.

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The difference between a fail and an incomplete is that when the class is repeated the incomplete disappears, but a failing grade is averaged in to the GPA. I think there sould be a consequence to failing. (Incompletes are for illnesses, deaths in the family, and other things beyond your control.)

And now, go to my blog to pick up an award. Please.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I am so glad I'm not still in school! Report cards were the bain of my life, but you're right, it did teach me to buck up and get on with it!

12:08 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

As a teacher, I am in complete agreement with you. As educators, our job is not to just stuff the students with knowledge, it is to prepare them for the future out there in the cold, cold world. We are having an educational "reform" here at the moment and one of the stupidest things we were told was that the student could not get a failing mark for not handing something in. You could not give him a failing mark because you had not evaluated his work... I'm sure that later on in the marketplace his/her boss will not take that attitude and the young person will have a much harder lesson to learn... AKA "You're FIRED!!!"
In doing the politically correct thing we are doing them no favours... pisses me off big time.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

We have a lot of that in Quebec. Don't ever fail them, don't let them feel bad about themselves.

What are these kids going to to when they enter the workforce and no one will do them any favours?

I remember once I was punished at school for something I didn't do. When I complained to mom she said: "Well, that's as may be, but your teachers considered you needed to to those lines, I'm ok with that. Life isn't fair, there you go."

The lesson served me in good stead, sometimes you just gotta suck it up 'cause no, life ain,t fair. Deal with it.

But if you have to learn that lesson at 25 it won't go over well.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

The "I" should be substituted with an "M", for meadowmuffins.

9:29 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Educators have often passed failing students who were terrific athletes "for the greater good," winning the next basketball/football/baseball game.

I don't think it did them any good in terms of character-building, although many of them are now earning 8-figure incomes.

I had to repeat Plane Geometry in summer school because I never opened the book. It was so unpleasant being in school when I would have preferred to be swimming and hanging out with my friends that I never failed a class again.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

I agree. Flunk them.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Sugar. said...

I think the "I" is kinda dumb. If a student hasn't put in the effort, they should fail and receive an "F". Especially if all attempts have been made by teachers and parents to support that student to succeed and the kid still refuses to put in the effort. Who are we protecting? When that "I" student goes into the workforce and doesn't put in the effort at work he/she will see another kind of "F" - as in Fired. I think the time to learn that stuff is while they are still in school.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

Let us know how you REALLY feel on this issue. LOL!!

From this camp, you get another YESSSSSS.

This post is a keeper, Ian.

2:34 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

That's just silly. I get not wanting to give a letter grade but you have do something evaluative regardless. Otherwise, how does the teacher really measure mastery of the content?

2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home