Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Perhaps hope does spring eternal after all



May I offer my American cousins who peruse this page a great big group hug and wet kiss?

Wow, wasn’t that a show?

Now, as some Canadians say, keep your stick on the ice and move on with hope in your hearts and perseverance as your mantra. For it is, as has been suggested so many times it has become cliché, that what happened yesterday was truly the dawning of a new era. A new era not only in your nation’s history, but a new era for the rest of us too. Provided it is all played as it should be played.

Unlike some of my compatriots – fortunately just a few – I love Americans as a people. I don’t always love your government and some of its attitudes, but neither do you. I have traveled extensively in the US and have never been treated badly. Indeed, I rarely feel I am in a ‘foreign’ country at all.

Anyway, love the US or not, whatever fortune befalls your nation impacts the rest of us to a huge degree, so we must pay attention. In our household we certainly watched the whole scenario unfold. It was a time of epiphany – good epiphany this time, rather than the sort that came with 9/11 in which we knew the world was going to change irrevocably, and not in a good way. Maybe yesterday was the final answer to 9/11 and it’s time to put paid to it and move on. Maybe.

For one thing, George W. staked virtually his whole governance on that tragic event, and acted accordingly. Unfortunately for all concerned. Including the rest of us that share the planet.

Of course the fact that your new president is black is also amazing. Utterly amazing. I mean, I am old enough that I remember the days of Selma and Montgomery too vividly. I had university friends who joined the Freedom Riders. I remember the assassinations of JFK, Robert, and Dr. King. I remember such names as Medgar Evers and Rosa Parks and old Orval Faubus and Little Rock Central High. Wow, again. It almost brings a tear of amazement and disbelief to my eye.

“I really hope Obama wins,” said a counseling client of mine yesterday. A client who, incidentally, happens to be black. “But, I don’t hope he wins because he is a black man, I hope he wins because he seems to offer the promise to be good; to bring about change. Quite honestly, if McCain seemed to me to be a better candidate, I would hope that he would win.” I liked that philosophically, because that is truly relegating race to the back burner, which is where it should always have been.
So, maybe it’s time for the lyrics to the anthem to become: “We did overcome!” And, symbolically, you did. You didn’t overcome everything but we did overcome a particular stigma which often cost the US credibility in the rest of the world.

At the end of the day, what the US and the rest of the world were left with after yesterday was ‘hope.’ And, in truth, hope is all we have in all our endeavors. Throw a smattering of faith in with that and maybe we can all move on.

But, I must grant a concession to the other side. John McCain was immensely gracious in defeat, and it spoke well of him. But, I would have expected nothing less of the man. He fought a good fight, made some gaffes, but was largely the victim of the times and the unfortunate Bush legacy. A Promethean task that circumstances conspired against.

To a degree I’ve admired Mr. McCain for a number of years, especially when I read of his three years of torture and agony in Vietnam. As Obama said in his acceptance speech, my opponent has undergone ordeals of which the rest of us can only imagine. So, all other things considered, I was sad for McCain. I was also said he didn’t get his chance back in 2000 when he might genuinely have had impact. Impact that ‘Junior’ was never able to muster in a positive sense.

And may Sarah go back to Alaska and be the best she can be. Thanks for the fun, babe.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger lady macleod said...

Well saId. And I'm proud of them too! And hopeful, very hopeful.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm proud of us as well, and giddy with relief and hope.

(McCain did conceded graciously, in stark contrast to his conduct througout the campaign. I hop ehe will do what he says and be a help to rebuilding this nation. Palin I have nothing good to say about.)

9:17 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

I feel a great deal of relief.. the whole world seems to be feeling it!


~*

10:19 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Great piece Ian, it is such a happy and hopeful time for everyone, even over here the excitement is palpable.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Lulda Casadaga said...

Ok, now the real work begins...:D

Oh what excitement for all last night watching the tele. Truly historical. Damn, it is sure good to be alive in this century!!

Yes, I do hope McCain will keep his promises...and by the way didn't that Palin b...ch have her best Stepford wife face on! What ya think?! :D

1:11 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I am so glad we collectively got out there and made our voices heard.

1:16 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

America is to be congratulated on doing the right thing, for the whole world.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Good post Ian. I too am most happy Obama won. Let's hope the USA can get back on track and be the truly wonderful nation it is.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

"... keep your stick on the ice ..."

Sure, just as soon as I lose my hangover. I drank an indecent amount of champagne last night. First non-depressing election night in eons.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I'm so happy Ian. I've had to wear sunglasses all day because my eyes are so swollen from crying. I've felt like giving everybody I've seen a big kiss on the cheek. And as a biracial girl who's heard my whole life that we turn out crazy, I'm like, "How ya like me now?"

4:13 PM  
Blogger Wenderina said...

You always say it better than me. And I love your parting shot. I certainly hope the winking devil disappears and doesn't reappear soon. That was the only part of McCain's speech that bothered me his promise (a.k.a. threat) that we haven't seen the last of her.

7:36 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Three cheers and a rah rah for everyone including J.M. who was very gracious.

12:20 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Well said Ian.
I was not a Palin fan by any stretch. Now she's back in Alaska. But trust me she will be back.
As an American I can only say, "Thank God this election is over!!!!"
The negativity was awful and uncalled for. My thoughts on the total waste of way too much money on campaigning don't need to be voiced. Just think of the good that money could have been used for.

Have an awesome day!

6:59 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Wherever she is, Rosa Parks must be proud.

7:57 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

a great post Ian. i really liked it, especially after reading and feeling insulted by some other Canadians. that's how ill feelings get started, and ill feelings lead on to division, strife, communication breakdowns, war, etc. you get the drift. we do have a new hope, and the real work is about to begin.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home