Wednesday, October 29, 2008

No-no-no, it ain't me, Babe


I’ve had a borderline exhausting week so far and it’s only Wednesday. I think today is going to be devoted to ‘me’ if all goes as it should. I need and want that to be so.

On Monday evening at dusk I looked out the front window and saw a sky that astonished me in the power and impact of its beauty. I truly realized what a blood-red sky – un ciel ‘incarnadin’ – could look like. I rushed to get my camera, assuming that my little digital could never do the job of actually capturing this. To my delight and gratitude, it did a rather fine job. Voila!

Viewing that sky also did a rather fine job on me, soul-wise.

Back to the beginning. When I say the week has been exhausting, I don’t mean it’s because I’ve had to “tote dat barge” or “life dat bale” except, perhaps, metaphorically.

The key to successful counseling – a fact to which other counsellors, shrinks, etc. can attest – is to take no ownership of the woes of the one seeking your professional help. I’ve done this gig off and on for nearly a decade and I think, ahem, I’m pretty good at it. But, this week involved a couple of people that tested the limits of being dispassionate and sitting back sage-like rather than saying: “What in the fuck do you think you’re doing to your life? Stop whining and start working to fix what has to be fixed rather than wallowing in ‘poor me’ stuff!”

Of course, I did none of the above, but assumed the nodding-knowingly pose as a relatively young lady told me the tale of a 15-year addiction to cocaine that is effectively ruining her health and could lead to an early demise. She is frightened, and I understand why.

Anyway, I shall tell no more about her for the sake of protecting her privacy, but it was one of those things in which I had to think: “There but for the grace of God, etc.” Her world is closing in and she doesn’t really understand why. I do, but I can only suggest. The rest is up to her. It’s up to all of us to do likewise with our own lives.

So, back to my sunset and my delight in that simple manifestation of power. There was a time in my life where I never truly noticed such things, so caught up was I in ‘me’. I might have given a glance, but it would have assumed no magnitude.

Yet, the time came, albeit through a lot of self-work, and a little help from others, that my perspective changed. I think part of what happens is natural. As the years pass many of us develop an ‘I don’t give a damn’ attitude to the greater world, and an appreciation for the more natural manifestations of life. Human affairs are something over which I have no control. In the US you are having an election next week which will impact the well-being of the globe. It might be a good impact, or it might not be. Furthermore, I know how I would like to see it come out. But, the fact remains, I have no control over the outcome, so I won’t get exercised about it. At one time I would have raged if what happened hadn’t been to my liking. But, no more. What’s the point? I have (I hope) learned to ‘accept the things I cannot change.’

The economy is currently tanking, largely due to greed and human frailty. What is happening to my meagre retirement investments? I don’t know. But, I have no power to control an economic debacle, so all I can do is cherish what I have and know that I am better off than many.

Meanwhile, it is autumn. As I have recounted before, I don’t much like the fall in that it leads to winter. But, the Japanese Maple on the front lawn is superlative this year, and that means a lot to me. That says so much.



Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

Those are both beautiful pictures!

Somehow we have to be able to detach from outcomes. It's hard for a lot of us but ultimately leads to a lot more contentment.

Detached from outcomes doesn't mean the same as indifference. It's just perspective.


~*

10:42 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I like your post - would that all could enjoy the simple pleasures right under our very noses...but I guess to gain a little wisdom one has to battle all of life's temptations first before realizing happiness and peace can really be found in a sunset or a lovely autumn tree.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Wise and calming words, Ian. And great photos, I have never seen a sky so red... does that mean the shepherds are going to be incredibly delighted tomorrow?!

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I care fiercely about thgis election and live in a part of the country that seems hell-bent on elcting folks who will contribute to the world's ongoing ruination. But, I think that as I"ve gotte older I bot care more deeply about that osrt of thing and also am more appreciative of the everyday beauty of this planet. A gorgeous sky, a brilliant tree - gifts from the universe in my book.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

What a gorgeous sky, lucky you. We had snow, yuck. Your right there are things we can't change so it's best not to get our knickers in a knot. Americans will get the government they deserve if voting goes according to the polls. Hopefully they won't regret it. Me I could care less...ciao

5:28 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Gorgeous photos!

I can't imagine how one manages to do counseling without having one's emotional energy sucked dry or without becoming hopelessly worried. Counseling takes a special character, it seems.

As for the election, I have cast my vote and I devoutly hope that the next four years will be, if not perfect, at least reasonably sane. These are "interesting" times.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

That is an absolutely beautiful picture. So rare to see a sky that color.

So sad about that young girl. I doubt she can appreciate such a lovely sky. All she can appreciate is the drugs.

Detachment from the things of this world is such a difficult thing to master. I need to work on it more.

9:39 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I've got my head in the sand too Ian, waiting for things to recover although it may be quite a while this time.

The Fall colours are fabulous this year and giving us all pleasure. The pampas grass next door is looking pretty fine too.

12:14 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

That is quite the sky shot! And your garden is beautifully manicured. Our neighbours have that exact same Japanese maple bush (or whatever it is) on their front lawn and theirs overachieved this year, too. I love watching our Crimson King maple (it's huge) actually lighten up in autumn.

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home