Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Sometimes it's just too damn much



Fatty-Fatty Two-by-Four
couldn’t get through the bathroom door.
So she did it on the floor.

This verse was followed by much back-slapping merriment and giggling by mean schoolboys after it had been directed humiliatingly at some poor oversized girl back in my schoolyard days.

You could get away with calling attention to somebody’s adiposity back in those days and not suffer much more than a frown from a teacher. It was kind of an insult to refer to somebody as “fat” back then, but not a serious insult. After all, if the kid (or adult, for that matter) was fat, that was what he or she was.

Reference to bigness was even used, almost affectionately in nicknames, like Fats Domino and Fats Waller. I went through school with a porky kid who was called “Tubby”. Everybody called him that, even teachers, even himself. No insult intended. He was, after all, tubby. And, there simply weren’t that many fat kids in those days. I can look at my class photos and see a plethora of youngsters who are lean to the degree that some of them seem to have come out of European refugee camps post World War Two. So, the Tubbies of the group stood out.

A friend and I were having coffee one morning and a family walked by the bistro. The family consisted of two highly obese parents, and three dangerously overweight kids. All of them were sucking on slurpies.

“Those parents should be charged with child abuse,” my friend said. “I don’t see any difference between that behavior than if all four of them were smoking cigarettes, with the kids having the butts supplied by the parents.”

I took his point.

My wife attended a session yesterday to upgrade her first-aid status for the workplace. In conversation afterwards the EMT mentioned the huge increase in incidents of folks collapsing due to diabetic shock. Big demand on the ambulance service, she said.

“It’s because so many people are so overweight,” was her considered opinion. “Type 2 diabetes has just soared.

The medical community would agree with her.

And since there is a genetic component with Type 2, there is a possibility of the gene multiplying in exponential fashion. We could, theoretically produce a generation in which diabetes is the norm. Along with other things that are scary for the human race, this could be a further one.

What must be considered in this regard is that overweight – other than very rare clinical exceptions – is a matter of lifestyle choice, like smoking or drinking too much. It can be controlled if we have the will to do so.

We live in a society that has become motivated by greed. The stock market meltdown can attest to that. We all want more-more-more, even when we can’t afford it. This applies to governments, the corporate world, the homeowner (or purchaser) and the consumer. And it applies to the person who eats.

I can go to my supermarket or a 7-11 and can watch kids buy masses of crap and hand the clerk folding money for that same crap. Where did they get the money? From their parents, of course. If I’d had the money given to me when I was a kid, I’d have bought crap, too. But, I didn’t have the money. Not that we were poor by the standards of that day, it was just that my parents didn’t hand out money. If a kid got an allowance, it was for a minuscule amount.

To deal with the onslaught of juvenile obesity and its health consequences, many schools have outlawed vending machines that sell crap. Good for them. Though there is nothing to stop the kid going to the corner store and buying that same crap-crap-crap.

I have no answer for this other than the recessionary times in which we live are going to force a lot of people to reappraise their spending priorities.

Or maybe we should go back to insult. Bring back Fatty-Fatty Two by Four and see if the humiliation might work. It’s a modest proposal but it beats stomach-stapling, in my esteem.



Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

I can't even believe you would suggest such a thing as an option.

I am appalled.


~*

2:48 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I think that nutrition should be a required subject in high school, maybe even grade school, so that people would know how to make more responsible choices for themselves and later, for their children.

I assume you were kidding about using humiliation as an engine of change because you are too kind to seriously suggest such a thing.

Sadly, with less money to spend, more people will buy empty, filling carbs which are generally cheaper than high quality produce and whole grains.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Please, please, please dear and well respected friends, I was only joking about my 'modest proposal' (a la J. Swift). I'd never really dream of such a thing, but I do think it's a terribly serious problem that must be addressed.

3:50 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

I hear an awful lot of hue and cry about 'childhood obesity' yet I can't think of a single obese child of my aquaintance. Even seeing overweight ones in my neighbourhood is rare. Where are they stashing them?

6:40 PM  
Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Unfortunately processed crap food is MUCH cheaper than fresh vegetables. Get everything you need to make a "punched up" salad for a family of four can easily run you $25. Mac 'n cheese for the same 4 folks? What? $2?

I was a "fat kid" and teased mercilessly. My father died of a combination of diabetes and congestive heart failure, and I always felt like I watched him eat himself to death; it's much like alcoholism.

Scary. It's scary.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

I'm looking for a link to something which speaks to this sort of. Over consumption of America which also applies to Canada.

Good post and I agree with it, except the name calling. That will never work and will just perpetuate the behaviour.

Ok found it, interview on PBS with Andrew J. Bacevich (Parts 1 and 2)here:-
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/09262008/watch.html

7:56 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

Things that cause me to shake my head in wonder: people who buy double cheeseburgers, extra large fries with dipping sauce, and then a large DIET pop, and wonder why they aren't a healthy weight.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I think the fact that schools are cutting way down on phys ed classes as well as serving crap food is a huge factor. When I was a kid we had phys ed three times a week. And our parent shooed us outside to play - there was no nintendo baby sitter.

The fact that people simply no longer exercise (escalators rather than stairs, driving to the corner store, etc.) makes for a lot less energy expended in regards to the calories taken in. Over time, it shows. Big time.

Apparently, according to an article I recently read, even using that handy dandy remote has an impact. Before you had to get up to change channels and sound levels on a TV. It adds up.

Foodwise, we went out to eat maybe once every 3-4 months, takeout was unheard of, candy, coke and chips were for special occasions only.

Besides, it's tough for a child to stay thin if they get no reinforcement and example from their parents.

If we North Americans just got off our asses and moved and cut the high fat meals, we'd be a much lighter society in no time.

But that ain't gonna happen.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I hear you, Ian. The weight thing is such a huge health problem. We're conditioned to believe we should get what we want whenever we want it and so we eat (or drink) dessert every day of the week.

When I was in elementary school I was friends with a very very heavy girl whose mom in 5th grade sent her to a fat camp over summer vacation. She came back normal-sized and then it was amazing how the same girls who'd been teasing her mercilessly for the past three or four years (the ones who teased me for being black) were suddenly nice to her. She gained all the weight back in a heartbeat.

It was always uncomfortable at her house to see her stuffing herself with Oreos while her mom would throw up her hands over it. Even back then I knew that the daughter wasn't the one going to the store and buying all the food.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I suppose it would be wildly inappropriate to thank you for teaching me the end of that verse? I only ever heard the first two lines.

Meanwhile, I have a kid who's in the 25% percentile for weight and 95% percentile for height, and he eats like a bird and my worries are quite the reverse of his being fat.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

I am a proponent of "lip stapling".
Lots of the worlds' problems could be solved with this modest proposal, eh?
(said in jest, of course)

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home