Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Much ado about deli

Some people just don’t ‘get’ gallows humor. Not only do they not get it and are resolutely offended by it, they fail to understand the motivation behind a wisecrack as applied to a tragedy.

In other words, they shun God’s greatest survival gift to folks – an ability to laugh in the face of adversity. No other animals can do that. The ability to give the finger to the forces of evil and horror keeps us from going mad, in my esteem.

Currently there are masses of ‘sensitive’ lynch-mobs calling for the demise of Canadian Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz for uttering what I thought was one of the best bits of gallows humor to come along in quite a while. Indeed, for a political party, the Conservative Party, which is noted for its humorlessness, to make an utterance like that gives me some hope for the future of a society that is fraught with tight-lips and sphincters these days.

Ritz’s gaffe was in reference to the recently tragic ‘listeriosis’ deaths of a number of Canadians who had partaken in a particular brand of deli meats. A horrible situation, and an inexcuasable one in the sense that it was preventable via proper controls and inspections.

Ritz, however, had the cheek to refer to it as “death by a thousand cold cuts.” The results of his so-called gaffe were predictable, and politicized all to hell. Interestingly, the people to rise to his defence have been journalists and columnists. That is because ink-stained wretches are wont to keep their sanity via black humor.

Do I think there is anything inherently funny about somebody dying from eating tainted meat? Of course not. It's horrible, and it was inexcusable at many levels. At the same time, it happened and steps must be taken to see that it doesn't happen again. Ritz's comment had nothing to do with disrespecting those who died. It was instead an attempt to defuse the passions around it so that sensible solutions might be found. Wailing, hand-wringing and rending of garments never succeeds in getting things done. Histrionics don't get the story written, but a wisecrack just might help. As I suggested, I see this as a kind of divine providence in enabling us to move on.

It makes sense. Maybe it doesn’t make sense for politicians (and I’m not suggesting I support Ritz or his party politically, for I never declare myself in terms of my own politics. That’s another hangover from my newspaper days) to wisecrack over a tragedy, but it’s not the end of the world, either. If you think of the awfulness that politicians of all callings get up to, then the Ritz crack is really small spuds, just a little slice of pastrami.

So, journalists speak darkly and profanely on a regular basis. That is because they deal with a great deal more tragedy and wretchedness on a daily basis than does the average person. Most journalists are more sensitive than a layperson might suspect, and we are as capable of being sickened by fatal fires, traffic accidents, murders and other bits of horror as anybody else. Yet, we still have to keep our wits, ask invasive questions of survivors, and write stories that are as accurate as possible. To combat the trauma scribes either take to the booze and nervous breakdowns, or they crack wise and inappropriately amongst themselves.

Other professional callings that deal with the icky and tragic sides of life do likewise. Indeed, journalists must definitely take a secondary place when hearing the ripostes of cops, for example, or firefighters who refer to victims of conflagrations as “crispy critters.”

The black references used by doctors and nurses would horrify the average patient and leave him or her wondering whether they should trust their health to such crass boors. Yes, we should. It is the boorishness that enables them to carry on and deal with death and suffering every day of their working lives.

Even schoolteachers, it must be realized, don’t refer to little Jason and Chantal in the terms they write on report cards when they are sitting in a staff room. If a teacher suggested that she really regards Jason as a “rotten little shit,” on that report card, then you would call for her head, much as people are calling for Gerry Ritz’s head.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Adele said...

lmao!!!! ok, I know it's tragic but that is funny!

11:01 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

LOL... well, I think it's pretty funny. If you ever want to hear plenty of gallows humor, listen to a bunch of cops! :)


~*

11:30 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

It's SO true. Teachers say all kids of things. I remember one of the questions on the cumulative file report asked about the child's behavior. I wanted to write all sorts of things like, "Juan talks to himself on the playground," but instead, I almost always wrote, "Seems normal," or "Age-appropriate." Anyway, folks need to get over trying to "catch" politicians in a gaffe. It's tiresome.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

What does it say about me that I can't stop laughing?

12:56 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I thought it was hilarious. But then gallows humour and I are well acquainted.

People are such morons now, or maybe they have always been

1:13 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I agree that we have the ability to defend against such difficult people, experiences and things with humor. In my book, as long as something is not really hurtful (ie, racist, etc) I can find humor in it. Without humor, I don't think I'd be able to cope with all that gets thrown at me.

Great post. Great writing. As usual ;)

2:49 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

You are quite right Ian. When I worked in an institution of mentally challenged persons (I'm sure that's not the politically correct words nowadays) the horrors seen created one of the largest turnovers of staff of any business I know. In private, after hours, we often made jokes or else we would have ended up in institutions ourselves (and some did actually). Humor was the only thing available to take away the many scenes of horrible deaths we encountered. Our hearts were full of compassion but that does not alleviate the pain of watching children and adults die in your arms. After the tears one learned to make use of humor to be able to face another day, another week, another year.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

I have been in school staffrooms. You tell no lies here. Punks.

8:34 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Is Ritz crackers? Sorry couldn't resist. We have Cracker biscuits here, & they are branded Ritz.
LOL at his gaffe, & you added touches. You are quite right, laughter is the best medicine to dispel bad anything.

12:27 AM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

Very well said. While I agree with you in theory, the reason this bit him on the butt was because he said it as the deaths were occurring. Also, it was viewed as indicative of the callousness of the party he represents. Who wants a government that hates it's citizens and wants to ruin or kill them? Not me.

Christie Blatchford wrote a column in the G&M about this. I've never been a fan of hers but gave her the benefit of the doubt. Now I detest the woman. She wrote that when Terry Fox was doing his run across Canada, journalists had bets on when he would die.

The point is, we all enjoy dark humour. We all laugh. But there is a time and place for it. And there is also a reason why doctors and everyone who uses it as a coping mechanism do not share the humour with victims they are helping or supposed to be helping. It compounds the grief and pain. I use dark humour a lot myself but I'm not part of a government running this country. And I rarely put it in print.

Besides that, this isn't even what ticked me off about it all. What got me was that he privatized food inspections without telling the Canadian public. That's the important part of this issue, not what he said, but what he did to cause the deaths.

Just my opinion. I'm a little peeved about this whole thing.

7:51 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i thought it a good line, and when he heard someone on pei had died, ritz quipped: let it be wayne easter! [i hate that pompous easter, so loved that, too]

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in a profession where gallows humor is absolutely necessary. SO I get it, I think its funny. BUT I also know you have to be aware of your audience. So I might make a joke about something awful in treatment team or to another health provider, but not to the family of the patient. And I think teachers, cops, journalists and especially politicians also get the distinction and should be careful.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Teachers are a law to themselves.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

Oh, you took me back to my journalism days, Ian.

So very true.

I love the story of how, during the very tense crossing of the Delaware River during the American Revolution, George Washington jovially told one of his overweight companions on the boat, to move his fat a$$ before the boat tipped over.

Such a crack would have people in a lather today and would have been the end of a modern Washington's career.

Back then, it relieved the tension of the mission and all ended well.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home