Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My 'just for the sake of argument' rant on arts subsidization

Do I value the guys who pick up my trash and recycling every Tuesdsay morning more than all the artists and writers (real as well as self-described) in my country?

As the late Dick Martin was wont to say, you bet your sweet bippy I do. I also value such things as health care, adequate policing, school crossing guards, and providing our troops in Afghanistan with absolutely everything they need, more than every painting or written screed I’ve ever come across in this land of ours.

I’d rather see a kid in a village in Somalia or in Nunavut in Canada’s far north get a few good meals than to see some painting or other subsidized via my tax bucks.

Does this make me a philistine? I don’t think so for a moment. I love the arts and hold them in great value and esteem, be such arts painting, sculpting, prose, poetry, or theatre little and big. We are surely the sum of all our collected creative forces.

But, I also believe in something else. I don’t believe taxpayers should subsidize the arts past a certain point. Consequently I do not buy into the big foofrah about the current government of Canada purportedly stiffing the arts in the country. The argument is all bloody politics, no more, no less. In point of fact the current government actually gives more to the arts than did the previous Liberals, despite M. Dion’s protestations to the contrary and attempts to make it an election issue – as if Joe Lunchbox could really give a shit. He’s more concerned about Dion’s avowal to slap a carbon tax on everybody across the land.

By the way, there is absolutely no truth to the rumour that Stephane Dion is Celine’s brother -- is there?

Now, for fear of appearing Neanderthal about all of this, let me clarify. My point is that while I revere the arts and firmly believe the world would be a worse place without some of the magnificence that has come our way via the brilliantly creative, I happen to hold to the antiquated theory that the arts should pay for themselves via purchasers, patrons or whatever. That worked well in the times of Shakespeare and Mozart, and I suspect it does now. For example, the corporate world is awash in money both legitimately and ill-gotten. Let them pay for the arts, too..

For one thing, what is deemed ‘art’ is a matter of taste, and I don’t think any artist, musician, writer or whomever should have to go cap-in-hand to some gormless civil servant to seek approval. The approval is up to public taste, and the work should rise or fall on its own merit, or lack thereof. If there is a bureaucrat who happens to fancy madrigals sung in the Ojibway language, that is jolly nice. But, if there is little demand for such an obscure offering, then I am damned if I want to pay for it.
Anybody who has ever applied for a Canada Council Grant knows well the hoops that must be conquered to receive a nod, and those nods only come if the flavor of the moment is adhered to. The joke used to be that if you happened to be a bipolar, aboriginal lesbian, double-amputee writing in a native Canadian language of which there were only two known speakers, you were in. If you wrote a ripping yarn in English you were hooped in the old CCG department.

For another thing, I am just not all that big on creative nationalism in which a work is deemed worthy only because it is Canadian in both theme and in the origins of its creator. Art to me is a universal thing and can possible get more out of a book translated from the Slovenian than I can from something written by a poet living in Moose Jaw, Sask. Or not. The Moose Jaw verse might be wonderful and inspiring, in which case thousands will flock to buy it. Frankly I did that there now is or ever has been a poet who could put a meal on a table by dint of his or her efforts at versification. Most teach, or sell used cars, or wait tables. The sensible ones marry rich. It’s in the nature of the calling. At the same time, most poets don’t give up their passion just because big government doesn’t cough up.

“That’s it, I’m out of the poetry racket. The government either gives me a grant, or I’m pulling the pin.”
“Wow. That oughta bring the bastards to their knees.”

In earlier times, and certainly in many other countries, the artists rose and fell on both the talents of the artist and, if he or she was lucky, he or she managed to acquire patrons to back their efforts. Either that, or they managed to capture the public’s affection.

Some societies were known for fully subsidizing the arts, provided a national flavor and state-deemed acceptability were in place. The Soviet Union and Nazi Germany come to mind. Oh, and don’t be citing Solzhenitsyn or Pasternak to me. Both were rebels, of course, and received no state support whatsoever. Yet, funnily enough, their works survived and gained universal appeal. Might be something to do with the fact they were brilliant.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

You have some excellent points here, Ian. Please illustrate with photos of the art you've bought.

10:15 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

agreed, but don't forget the moneys the italian government spent, still does, on the arts over the millennia...

11:48 AM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Also for the sake of argument: Patronage isn't going to work anymore. Those days are gone. No one is commissioning music except for hollywood or advertising agencies. the Pope is not supporting the art world by commissioning sculptors and painters. We have a different system of economics than we did before. Capitalism makes everything a commodity and we must resist having our collective artistic expression made so. Art is not a matter of taste, it is a mirror to society and it is art's job to reflect, to celebrate and to criticize. Sometimes that means offending, not appealing to tastes. What good is art if it only works if it sells? None. Just ask Van Gogh. Would he have been more or less productive and brilliant if he had had some state support? Perhaps we needed to keep him in misery in order to create. But I can't help feel that the next time Van Gogh comes around, we better be ready to help her/him shed a little light on things instead of letting the market crush her/his spirit and drive her/him to suicide.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I've long held a similar opinion about particle accelerators, even though I was a beneficiary of their funding for years.

Particle physics is nice, but there is only so much money to go around. One must prioritize and make choices. I would like to see more money applied to, say, researching various diseases or dealing with the brain-damaged people who are going to come home from Iraq and less to smacking hadrons and leptons together.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

You do make very valid points. I would disagree in one area only: I wish the Government would support AND ENCOURAGE the arts in very young children - for their sake so that they may grow up appreciating beauty and creative talent as well as fostering their own. I believe this would help make them better citizens of the world. After school they are on their own as is anyone looking for a job or furthering their education.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I'm with you on this one. Like you, I'd rather see a kid get enough to eat or a disease get beaten...

Being a full time artist is a thankless job, which, let's face it most people will never get rich at.

I know a few artists. Most have full time jobs that pay the bills and pursue their art part time.

Only one of them lives from his music, but he spends a most of his time doing studio stuff and composes when he can.

It's a tradeoff most of us have to live with. Even those of us who aren't artists. We work at jobs we don't necessarily like to subsidize what we love to do.

C'est la vie.

6:22 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Come on Ian -- where are pictures of the work of those artists you've bought work from? I totally respect your opinion and you're a good guy -- I would assume that if you don't believe in the grant system in a country where a majority of people don't respect/support the arts that you actively support artists privately, because without financial support of any kind then how would we survive? You don't strike me as the sort of person who would actively and publicly criticize one system without supporting the other. Besides, I'm curious as to what kind of art you most enjoy. It's always interesting (for me, anyway :) to see what people hang walls.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

My brother works for a non-profit art organization. We talked about this yesterday and he shared some excellent info, none of which I can remember now. The point I'm trying to make is that many people in the arts rely on that to live. And art is used as therapy in medicine and with children as a path to healing. It works too.

I have to agree though that the amount of money the government allocates to the arts is too high. Or it was. But I would feel better about the funding they pulled if they had put it towards healthcare - patient care, not research - rather than funding that stupid fake war.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Love that artwork.

9:11 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I wouldn't want civil servants determining what is art and what is not.

I love art, all kinds of art: music, painting, sculpture, theatre, writing, I adore all of it. BUT I reluctantly love garbage collection more because it prevents plagues of typhus and other nasties from decimating the populations and if everyone died there would be no art anyway.

7:12 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

I think there are a lot of ridiculous ways in which the government spends taxpayer money, but supporting the arts isn't one of them. Yes, the media has a wonderful time pointing out when the money has gone towards a flop of a project, but those cases are rare. The grants that are given are often put towards projects that really are enjoyable, interesting, entertaining – have a look for the little symbols which must be included on all finished projects. From museum events to theatre festivals to music venues to books and magazines and all sorts of things, many of these projects would have had difficulty getting launched if not for the support of organizations like the Canada Council.

Of all the CCG recipients I know, and that would be *takes a moment to count on her fingers* eight people, the grant helped them launch their first project, and they are all now making a living at their craft. All of them. They’ve won awards, found financial success, and are able to support themselves using their talents – in short, their arts are now paying for themselves. Each one of them is remarkably talented and driven, and I have no doubt that they would have eventually found art-based careers on their own, but the grant was a boost in the right direction and gave their work the legitimacy it needed to be taken seriously in a cynical market.

Yes, the institution of patronage worked well in the days of Shakespeare and Mozart. So did the tradition of burning witches. Instead of a wealthy benefactor (or corporation) with an agenda, I prefer a representative panel of individuals from across the country who support artistic expression, and who are involved because they genuinely, actively, love the arts.

9:14 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

In case anyone is wondering:

I've worked in four museums, all of which relied on grant money (even the big, nationally acclaimed one, which hosts 130,000 visitors per year) for exhibits, events and general operations. I'm also a recipient of a 2007 CCG grant for Creative Writing.

There. My bias is showing. ;)

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Janice - I'd like to see more funding for the arts - visual arts, music, performance arts - for kids on schools.

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home