Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Down the rails to the Place de Vic



You know – I think I could actually do it! This is one of those thoughts that came to me as a virtual epiphany, but on reconsideration I realized that if they only changed virtually all attitudes that currently exist, it would make the world a better place.

What is it that I could do? I could actually do without a car. Not here, and not now, but with changed conditions I could, and would do so willingly. In other words, I would have the ‘will’ and only if the weasels that call the shots would wake up before an even bigger two-by-four whacks them on their stupid heads, would change the paradigm under which they operate, we could foment a transportation revolution.

Now, get this straight. I grew up in the age of the automobile. Not only the automobile but THE automobile. Great big V-8 engines and four-barrel carbs, Hemi Chryslers and 409s and whatever else was needed to make a mobile erection travel at ungodly speeds at 8-10 miles per gallon.

And, I still love cars I have owned many, and my little Nissan sportscar with lots of power is getting elderly and must go into the shop on Friday, but I still cherish it. I have served it well and it has served me well. And it pumps out a lot of horses but is easy on fuel and, quite frankly, I don’t ever want to get another car. This one will do.

But, the initial moment of revelation – that aforementioned epiphany – struck when we were living in Grenoble, France for a little over three weeks, two years ago. I had no car there. I had to rely on public transit. Wendy asked me one even part way into one of those heavenly mousses that are virtually orgasms au chocolat -- in other words, they’re real good -- if I missed not having a car.

“Not for a fraction of a second,” I replied.

The reason being, Grenoble, like so many other European cities and towns, had transit that is to die for. All I needed to do was go to the ground floor of our hotel; out to the main street that ran by; over to a little island in the middle of the street, and wait for a sleek, space-age looking streetcar to come by. Sometimes I might have to wait as long as three minutes. I’d climb on, and if it weren’t too crowded, I’d grab a seat in this light and airy conveyance and wend my way off to the main downtown shopping area, located in the vicinity of Place Victor Hugo – or Vic’s Place, as we liked to call it, since it made it sound like a sleazy bar.

So, I could go to Vic’s, or to the art gallery, or miles out to the university or I could just joyride. I could hop off and if I got back on a gain within an hour, I didn’t need to pay an extra fare. It was all automated as well, No driver. No conductor. However, you were advised to get a ticket or pass from a vending machine at the boarding island, because inspectors hopped on periodically and you would be in deep merde if you were minus a ticket. On the other hand, in all the times I rode them, I was never asked. No wonder France is broke. Oh wait, so are we.

Then, when the weekend came, we would hop an incredibly fleet and frisky train and head off to Annecy, or Geneva, or Avignon, or Lyons and be there in a brief period of time, having ridden in much comfort. No traffic. No gridlock. No carbon monoxide fumes. No looking for rest areas if somebody had to go potty, since there would be a toilet in the coach in which you were riding. It was blissful.

Car. Pshaw.

And, no car would mean no maintenance costs, no insurance, no threat of highway accident cause by some drunken asshole, no congested cities, and no frustration. Wouldn’t it be grand?

So, my mantra now is, I will not support any politician who doesn’t fully buy into the concept of creating, upgrading or restoring rail transit in our cities, towns and countryside. I only want to vote for guys and girls who have moved past rapture with vehicles and roads and freeways but are instead looking to get those monster and lethal semis off our roads and cargoes into freight trains. Stop depleting international oil reserves and push for sleek and lovely electric trains and trams.

I’ve mentioned before about my cherished E&N Railway on Vancouver Island. OK, overpaid, underworked and largely uninspired politicos, push to expand that line and really make it work and I shall want you to bear my metaphorical children.

Oh, and what could be grander than a nice road trip? Well, many things. But, I like a good road trip. If I was able to deal with a good transportation grid (not bloody buses; they’re loathsome at any level) I’d be rid of my car, and then would rent one if I wanted to take to the highway.

Would love to hear your thoughts.





Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Yes.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I agree completely - although I have to say that tram system sounds surprisingly good- I have never lived anywhere myself with such an admirable transport system. I can't drive (to my eternal chagrin) so road trips with someone else are a real treat for me; and I love trains, although it's impossibly difficult to get to my family in Suffolk without a car... we need truly energy efficient cars as well.

2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I loved somewhere with decent public transportation. Actually, I wished I loved somewhere with ANY public transportation. Then I'd be fine without a car - maybe just a rental for trips out.

3:08 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

You make a very valid point Ian. I think the Western world would be a lot healthier too if they didn't rely on a car so much and did a little more walking instead :)

8:05 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

So basically, dear one, you'll never vote again.

The transit situation in Montreal is ridiculous - service just keeps getting poorer and prices keep going up. No wonder people don't use it if they have a choice. BB touched on the situation here

At one point, they set up a new train from a station about 15-20 minutes by car from where we have our cottage. We figured, damn we could use this. All excited we were. Turns out the cars didn't quite fit the rails (which had been there for years and years) and thus the trains couldn't travel more than 30 km/hr or so. It was quicker (and cheaper if you had to buy two train tickets) to take the car...

Morons. They're all morons!

Sorry this turned out so long...

8:09 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

I'll vote for that. When we were in Paris it was the same thing... a great metro system along with a well integrated system of trains and buses. There they go for efficiency and their system is probably running at a loss with government support. Here they try to make it self sufficient, hiking ticket price, charging a hefty price for parking at the terminus of metro stations, cutting back on service, etc etc. All those cost saving measures that turn people off of public transport and send them to their cars.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

I'm very supportive of public transit. However, my city's metro system needs serious expansion. I could use a good road trip about now. Nice post, Ian.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

I agree with you. It is ridiculous...people driving around...one person in a Hummer or big SUV. I am not sure why so many folks seem against public transportation.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

I, too, find it sad that after such herculean efforts were made in my country to build railroads from coast to coast, those same rail lines are now rotting away while giant trucks clog our highways.

I'd love to give up my car, too. I waste an hour every day staring at blacktop and tail lights -- think how much reading or cogitating or snoozing or socializing could be done if I were on public transit.

Sadly, public transit barely exists in my part of the world.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home