Friday, November 21, 2008

To pee or not to pee. That is the question

19 November is World Toilet Day – a day to celebrate the humble, yet vitally important, toilet and to raise awareness of the global sanitation crisis.

Missed it by a couple, but the above is, of course, not a joke. WTD is designed to bring to our attention that while we might take the right to ‘spend a penny’ in surroundings that range from the palatial to downright disgusting, there are those in much of the Third World who have no access to sanitary facilities whatsoever. The subsequent result is rampant disease epidemics, vermin, parasites and every other bit of hideousness you could imagine.

The vilest public facility I ever visited was many, many years ago in the Belfast Bus Station. Yet, I am sure there are those in many parts of the world who would find it heavenly. That notwithstanding, I was almost pleased to learn that a couple of years later that same bus station was a victim of an IRA petrol-bomb and burned to the ground.


Anyway, my point about WTD was to just bring it to your attention and to suggest you might find out more about it and how you might help in this regard. The rest is up to you.

My other point in this screed, however, is to look at a human functioning aspect a little closer to home. So, at the risk of being indelicate – and I’m not indelicate; I am one of the most delicate guys you might happen across; really – today I want to talk about peeing.

I don’t mean the function of peeing. We pretty much all know how that works. No, I want to talk about access. It has been said that people under the age of 50 – except pregnant women – pay little attention to where the public facilities might be located in whatever journey they have to make. Those over 50 know where they all are. They sometimes need to.

I once kept brief company with a young woman who had a bit of a ‘control’ problem. It was good because I learned where virtually all the potties were in this community, some of which I had no idea they existed. For her, however, it was essential so that she could avoid discomfort or, worse, humiliation.

Personally, I find, especially with an aging population, that too little thought is given to public access. Many businesses do not want the pubic using their facilities unless they are customers. I can understand their displeasure about granting access, because bathrooms end up being trashed. At the same time, it is a bit heartless.

I saw an incident once that proves my point. A woman entered a shop with a middle-aged mentally-challenged man who was obviously in extremis. She asked the clerk if the man might use the restroom.
“No,” said the clerk, entirely too curtly, “The bathroom is for paying customers only.”
“Sorry,” said the woman who had taken the man under her wing. “That won’t do. I am not going to see him embarrassed in public, so give me the key, please.”
The clerk grudgingly forked over the key, muttering under her breath. I made a mental note to not do business with those guys again.

And, while it is tough enough for prostate encumbered men of a certain age, it is even more difficult for women due to the logistical nature of their micturitions. Men can, as irritated women often point out, simply step behind a tree. I mean, they risk arrest for indecent exposure, but they can still do that.

Urinals, such as we have them in the west, at least, are not available or practicable. Consequently, at any public event like a concert or game, the queue outside the women’s biffy is 20 times longer than the men’s. I know women have railed about this injustice many times, but they should not give up the fight for more equitable access. It is the fact that an inadvertent public wetting can be, for many, traumatic enough that it can lead to agoraphobia.

I can suggest no immediate solution for this other than to suggest that communities have an obligation to make certain there is adequate access to bathrooms.

And maybe one step in the right direction is to get over our prissiness about this function that we all, both sexes, do. Back to the line up outside women’s restrooms, I have often invited women to come in and use the men’s. Even if there is a guy standing at the urinal, the interlopers cannot see anything – as if they were interested in any case. Likewise, a couple of times, at dire moments, I have used the women’s.

So, maybe we should be more like the Europeans who are more comfortable with ‘one size fits all’ public peeing. Having traveled a bit, and having shared public facilities with members of the opposite sex, I can recall no discomfort. So, maybe it’s time we grew up on this continent.


Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger Janice Thomson said...

"It is the fact that an inadvertent public wetting can be, for many, traumatic enough that it can lead to agoraphobia."

I for one can certainly relate to this Ian as my own life is a tad bit restricted because of kidney problems. Long trips and public functions are curtailed for the reasons you stated. I know it is equally frustrating for older folk.
Your last paragraph is so very true. Even Basho the great Haikuist talks about peeing as if it were a normal fact of life. How sad we make such subjects so secretive that agoraphobia can be the end result.

10:35 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

The most vile toilet I ever experienced was in a village in Thailand. Now.. you know.. I love the place.. but those toilets were awful!

I don't have strong knees.. and having to squat over it was absolutely terrifying, afraid I'd fall in or lose my balance.

Oh. Ugh!

Janice is right. Peeing is a perfectly natural function. Puritan culture has turned everything into a trauma.


~*

10:48 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

What a title!! I'm afraid it brings to mind a friend of my mother's who took her children to the circus. The ringmaster asked for a volunteer from the audience and her children pushed her to put up her hand. She was chosen, and duly strapped into a harness and to her dismay, made to ride a horse round the ring. Suddenly her children saw her lifted up off the horse by the harness and swung wildly around the top hat, over the heads of the audience. My mum saw her friend's trousers "darkening", and, alarmed, she turned to a circus worker in the aisle and asked if he thought she was ok. "Yeah, she's wet herself, ain't she?" he spat. "They all do that."

10:55 AM  
Blogger david mcmahon said...

G'day Ian,

I came here from Daisy's blog. Now this post is what I call SERIOUS toilet humour!!

Well done.

Passed thru BC recently on my way to the Yukon ....

11:25 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

Happy (belated) Toilet Day!

11:56 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Always an interesting visit is had at your blog, Ian my sweet. My grandmaother called it the biffy and the Suzy. Having public facilities available during weekend days is essential to a good soccer game as I need to accompany it with a tall coffee and having two large babies, erm, weakened my system you might say. Ten years and many coffees later, my U17 son plays 45 minute halves and I say a little prayer of thanks at every game.

7:17 PM  
Blogger French Fancy... said...

What a great subject for a blogging. I get really annoyed at the lack of decent public toilets, especially on the long car journey from where we live in France to North London. You'd think you were in a third-world country sometimes - some of the 'facilities' (yeh, what a choice of word for something so awful) even include those toilets that don't have an actual bowl, you stand over a hole.

And don't get me started please about the lack of womens' toilets in London theatres. You can see this is a subject I've had my dealings with :)

10:38 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

I have been known to use the mens room. I have no issue seeing a guy peeing. I go to a nude beach. I am totally unfazed.
I also have a tendency to know where the restrooms are. When I ride my bike, I know where all the clean and nice ones are. It's a must for a female. And the vibration of the bike can make for a really uncomfortable trip if you need to go. My guy friend riders are amazed that I know where they all are.
Nasty bathrooms are not for me.
When I was a limo driver, I used to pull into really upscale hotels and use the facilities. They always thought you were there to pick someone up. I still use hotel bathrooms. Always clean and well maintained.

Have an awesome weekend.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

I was going to link a YouTube Dire Straits Water of Love, but then I thought, "Nahh".

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lack of an equitable men's room to women's room ratio has always been an extreme annoyance to me. If they made the stalls fully private (no cracks between door and wall to see through) I wouldn't care if we had unisex bathrooms. And, of course, as long as they were properly cleaned/maintained.

12:29 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I so agree about having a more 'grownup' or European attitude to a necessity. There is nothing worse than the anxiety that you 'might not make it' if you are a woman. Unless of course, it is that public wetting of which you write!

9:26 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Because I drink beer all the time, I know all about peeing. I know where all the best toilets are in the French Quarter of New Orleans and know which ones to avoid. Like beachgirl I also use nice hotels when they are around. There was a "Seinfeld" episode where George was listing the best bathrooms for any address Jerry could name and I thought, "That's me!" As far as the paying customer part goes, that works for me because I generally use bars for bathroom stops and have a beer while I'm there. I can't remember where the worst bathroom was unless you count dreamed ones. I dreamed of a bad bathroom (whatever that means) that was worse than anything I have actually seen.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

great post! yes as we get older we absolutely need to know where those bathrooms are. i have a son who has special needs so...yes the bathroom access is important for us to know for him especially.

where is the strangest place you have peed? for me it was when i was young and my friend and i were in the back of a pick up truck and drunk. we stopped and peed on railroad tracks. stupid yes? but also memorable.

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear me yes! This is a post long overdue; we are so prissy about this subject which is one that effects us all. Having travelled quite extensively myself I can say that I know the spectrum from luxurious to disgusting.
My tip is to walk into any hotel as if you have the right to be there and use their facilities. I challenged say that you are waiting for a friend from room 240 looking straight at your interlocutor. Works every time.

3:50 AM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

It is about time something was done about the lack of toilet facilities for ladies. I have touched on this subject on my own blog before now.
An aging population where most of the pensioners will be women, needs to be catered for. We need some relief!

Good Post.
Came over via David's POTD.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Mojo said...

I kid my mom sometimes about the fact that she's th eonly person I know who will have already planeed where she's oging to stop to pee on the way back home from my brother's house in Charlotte (about 160 miles away) before she leaves on the trip. Now I know why.

On the other hand, her OCD is legendary in the family, so...

9:43 AM  
Blogger Roan said...

After reading the title, I could not stop myself from having a peek at the story. There is nothing worse than a long line when you're already dancing. I've used the men's bathroom on more than one occasion. It's less embarrassing than the alternative. BJ

3:55 PM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

I support potty parity.

6:05 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

i am so thrilled you followed me"home" from betty jo's... from the sound of things,, you and i will get along famously!!!!!

i have added you to my reader and will have a gander each time you post!!!!

good to meet you!!

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home