Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Maybe there was a health advantage to being po' folk

Read a feature story yesterday concerning a 15-year-old kid who has recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.

He is a bright and articulate lad who, refreshingly, blames nobody but himself for having come down with an ailment that has absolutely skyrocketed amongst the young in recent years. It's a story that might, however, inspire others to mend their ways. In that I commend both the boy and his parents for going public.

He told his tale of eating massive amounts of junkfood – he’d skip breakfast and then head out to the golden arches during a class break mid-morning. He also spent most of his free time on his computer and virtually never took exercise of any kind.

I don’t remember any kids with Type 2 diabetes when I was growing up. In fact, I don’t believe diabetes had even been placed in sub-category at that time. People would mumble about somebody having borderline diabetes (there is no such thing) and it wouldn’t get any more attention than that.

In reading the story (and I wish the boy well in his quest to radically alter a lifestyle that has potentially lethal consequences) I came to the conclusion that, despite all the awful stresses it invokes, there may be one advantage to our current recessionary time. The advantage being that we will not have the money to waste on crap. And we will not have the money to hand out great big sums to our kids on a daily basis so that they can indulge themselves on dietary crud.

Actually, the tale left me with a kind of wistful nostalgia for an earlier time – my own childhood and youth.

And what sticks most prominently in my memories about those times was that we never had any money. I mean, my father was a relatively well-paid professional, but not of that aforementioned relatively good pay came in my direction. If I wanted money, I had to earn it somewhere. My friends were no different. Parents simply didn’t fork over cash. They didn’t have it to spare. Kids understood that.

I did get a paltry allowance when I was in elementary school. I got enough money on a weekly basis to buy a comic book (for a dime) and some penny candy. Or, as a special treat, a store near my elementary school sold nickel-bags of French fries. Little brown paper bags that would be dredged, prior to consumption, with malt vinegar and salt. It was a heavenly treat.

I recall an incident when I was a senior in high school in which three buddies and I were out cruising yet again on a Friday night – determined to end our chronic ‘no action’ status and, of course, being unsuccessful – when we ran out of gas. Happened a lot in those days. So, we pushed my pathetic excuse of a car to a service station. We pooled our resources. Between the four of us we were able to muster 76-cents. We bought 76-cents worth, which was enough to get us home. We found nothing odd about the situation.

This dearth of largesse continued right through high school and into university. In university I had a good four-month summer job in a mill, at which I received union wage. But, all the money went to tuition, board and eating for the ensuing term. Not a lot of mad money.

Something else struck me about the diabetic boy’s story. He spoke of heading out to the ‘Big M’ for crappola during a class break (he would buy more rubbish at lunchtime. We couldn’t have done that. Mainly because it was a stricter time in which we were not permitted to leave the school grounds without good reason. We resented the hell out of this but there wasn’t much we could do. Anyway, if we did leave and head out to the store what could we do? We were broke.

Our broke status was something our parents believed was “good for you.” The girl who lived across the street (my age) came from a filthy rich family. They lived in a kind of antebellum mansion, had a maid and groundskeeper, hunting dogs, horses, 17 cars, the whole array. Gayle (my friend) never had any more. Her parents didn’t believe in simply handing out money. In her teens she got a part-time job like the rest of us. Smart parents.

There was a final thing. The kid spoke of hanging out in his room all day on his computer. As if that would have happened when I was a kid. Well, OK, we didn’t have computers, but what we did have was a parent who would say, “What are you doing hanging around in your room on a beautiful day? Get outside and do something. You can run to the store for me, and then you can rake those leaves on the back lawn. You’re not an ornament around here.”

Maybe being poor and unindulged was just a lot healthier.


Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Jocelyn said...

Great post! It's an unfolding tragedy, growing out of off-kilter values.

My worry is that, if a kid today has just one dollar for the day for food, it will still go towards crap.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I definitely spent what little pocket money I had on things like sherbert fountains and black jacks - 100% sugar and E numbers. It's scary that most children will buy sweets and junk food with whatever money they have. I guess it's really the food companies who should make things more expensive?

11:47 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

i agree. the only diseases children got when i was growing up were measles, mumps, and chickpox. i don't think i ever heard of diabetes until i was much older.

this 12-yr old boy died here earlier this year or last year because his teeth were so rotten, he had gotten an infection.

times really are different now for children--they hardly walk anywhere because buses pick them up for school, parents drive them everywhere, money is forked over for whatever. a lot of a parents work and are too tired and busy to cook, so lots of fast food. and the tech toys--ipods, computers, PSP's keep them from being up and active, but the fingers get a good workout.

thanks for your kind comments and words of encouragement. i'll still visit your blog.

12:33 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Did you grow up in my family Ian?

I even had to hand over half of the money I earned as room and board to my Mom to help ends meet. And I only made $1.85 per hour. She was a single Mom of 6. No extras ever. And most definitely no hand outs.
My kids all had jobs growing up. My ex was a med student while they were teenagers. Sorry no money there for anything extra. Now as adults they are spoiled but do have a hard earned respect for money. But they are spoiled.

We were never allowed off campus in any school I went to. Outside was play time always. I did the same to my kids. They are all healthy and gym rats.

Have an awesome day. I love the post.

2:26 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

When I was teaching, the kids with the junk-food lunches came from the 'borderline' families, the ones with the carrot sticks and cardboard bread etc. from the fanatically PC and the ones in between with the healthy, homemade lunches with jjust a little something extra that was a treat to make it worthwhile from the 'good' families. Or as Elton John once said, "Times they are a-changin', now the poor get fat..."

That said, I don't know a single fat child let alone obese and never see them in my neighbourhood. Go figure.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Stick ball. Hide and seek. Pretending to be "The Beatles" singing into spoons and playing drums on the pots and pans. Making daisy chain necklaces out of flowers. Skimming rocks on the bay. I wish for those simpler times.

Great post on a trend that is truly scary.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Health care is the prevention, treatment, and management of illness and the preservation of mental and physical well being through the services offered by the medical, nursing, and allied health professions. According to the World Health Organization, health care embraces all the goods and services designed to promote health, including “preventive, curative and palliative interventions, whether directed to individuals or to populations”.

-------------------------
hesslei...........

social advertising

12:20 AM  
Blogger paisley said...

where as i am living proof that wayyyyyy too much time can be spent on the computer,, sometimes i wonder if having them at home in theri room on the computer may noty be a blessing in comparison to some of the things they might be taking part in,,,,

i am grateful for having had the opportunity to meet you....

2:37 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

How true, your childhood and adolescence rings a bell... we didn't do much because we just didn't have the cash to do it. Strange though my friends and I still found many things to do and I have fond memories of playing all day baseball, building huge snow forts, going into the woods and sitting around a campfire telling stories. :o)

5:24 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I'm sure BB remembers - as I do - allowance and bedtime negotiation each September. It was a victory indeed when we negotiated a 5 cent increase (and an extra 15 minutes later for bedtime).

I was content as a kid to sit in my bedroom and read (things haven't changed) but my mom would come in and order me to go play outside - even in the dead of winter.

Restaurants were for special occasions, as was soda and candy.

We had phys. ed. a couple of times a week, and if we ate at the cafeteria, there was no pizza to be seen.

God, I have to stop this. Reminiscing about the good old days. I really don't need to remind myself how old I'm getting.

This being said, I can't help but notice that nowdays, junk food is cheaper than the good stuff...

11:28 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I think in 'our day' being poorer equalled being healthier as far as our physical wellbeing went.
Now being poorer seems to equal junk food because it is cheaper than good healthy vegetables & decent meals. Plus parents are lazier, or more tired from working, & they dont cook healthy meals.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

A kid diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes?? What a shame. I just learned something new today.

BTW, my childhood was similar to yours. We didn't have a lot of money. For the most part, I was lucky if I ate one piece of candy after school.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I think the obesity rates are higher among the poor because of the wide avaiability and cheapness of junk food compared to fresh, healthy food. And people need to get moving and get their kdis moving.

4:35 PM  
Blogger molly said...

Tanya prompted me to come here...What a great post on a very unhealthy trend. In spite of affluence all around us today, I think we had richer childhoods when we had less. We spent endless hours down in the fields, playing cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, and, sometimes, "doctor" in the bushes!
If we were willing to ride our bicycles across town to the tennis courts [because mom wasn't running a taxi service!]we could play tennis 'til we dropped. [Had to keep a little energy in reserve though for the ride home!]
We jumped rope, and threw rubber balls endlessly against a wall, all the while singing a chant of tricks to perform before the ball came back to your hand......Even if our parents were relatively well off, they had the good sense not to make life too easy for us. Oh dear I'm really showing my age here! Really enjoyed your post....

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home