Monday, December 01, 2008

Or, should it be Dr. 'Whom'?



For the legions of Dr. Who fans worldwide this is a stressful time. The angst arises with the sure knowledge that the charmingly flamboyant David Tennant is leaving the role (by his own choice) and there will yet be another actor to pick up the ‘screwdriver, board the Tardis and gallivant through the universe, time and space with possibly another charming female in tow.

Who will it be? Rumors abound. I mean, this is something like the 273rd or incarnation of the Time Lord – or it seems like that – and the assorted Dr. Whos through the decades since the 1960s have all put their own imprint on the character. The fact that so many have played the lead character in a series makes Dr. Who unique in this respect (and in so many other respects, as well). It would have been like allowing various actors to play Captain Kirk or Mr. Spock. It really wouldn’t have worked. Granted there have been assorted James Bonds over the years, but that is in films.

Of course, there was the matter of the 2nd Darren in Bewitched. No explanation was given, yet suddenly there was another guy playing Darren Stevens, getting to snuggle-bunny with the luscious Liz Montgomery and it was assumed nobody would bat an eye. They did. Darren #2 just didn’t do it for a lot of us – like me, for example. Nope, I was a ‘good’ Darren (Dick York) buff all the way. Evil Darren (Dick Sargent) didn’t even look like Good Darren, as you can see from the accompanying photos. Anyway, back to Dr. Who.


In the rumors floating around it has been suggested that it isn’t essential, what with changing times or mores, that the doctor needs must be a regular old Anglo-Saxon sort of bloke. He could be another ethnicity, for example. Why not a black Dr. Who? Would work fine for me. Maybe a rasta-embracing Jamaican to represent the changing demographic of the UK –Mon?
Or, a female? The name of the toothily toothsome and utterly gratuitously yummy Billie Piper has been vouchsafed. Why not? The comely Ms. Piper bopped around the universe with the doctor, so why couldn’t his soul morph into her. My heavens, makes me feel weak-in-the-knees thinking about that possibility.

I suppose we’re just going to have to wait to find out. Anyway, as it has stood over the years, virtually all the choices have assumed their own imprint and the fan base has never been hugely impacted. I suppose in the spirit of democracy, the Daleks, too, should have a voice in this, but I say to hell with them. They’re nothing but trouble, sort of like the Canadian Liberal Party.

I first happened upon Dr, Who when I was living in England in 1980-81. Stanley Baker was the personage at the helm of the Tardis back then. For some he was sort of a prototype of what the doctor should be, but I beg to differ. There is no prototype. He must be whatever personification he might assume. He is, after all, the Time Lord – literally a man for all seasons from the Alpha to the Omega.

In writing this I am probably sounding like a sci-fi geek. In truth I am not. Have never been much of a fan of the genre. I’ve read the odd book over the years and have seen a few films. The overblown Star Wars was fun the first time out, but it’s not really science fiction but a tale of knighthood not far removed from Camelot. Star Trek? Well, not a ‘trekkie’ here.

My point of departure lies with the whimsical and I still the brilliant Douglas Adams and the Hitchhiker series. All the sci-fi elements are there, but in sardonic vein. Dr. Who is a bit similar. It has never been a follower of convention, so it works for me. Sometimes it’s funny, sometimes it’s even romantic. But, it can be horrific and nightmarish to the degree that lesser offerings pale in comparison.

So, all I can say is may Dr. Who go on and on in whatever form he/she/it might assume. But, I will miss David Tennant, I must confess.





Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger jmb said...

When I first heard the suggestions that it was time for Dr Who to be a woman, I was a bit shocked but some of my UK blog friends have definitely been touting it so maybe it is time. It might give it new life.

6:07 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

Let me flout my geekiness by saying, Joanne Lumley played the Doctor in a 1999 Comic Relief sketch, and she was delightful in the role. I'd have her back as the Doctor, any old time.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Ms Ab-Fab herself! I'd have Joanne L. back in many incarnations. But, do you remember her when she was 'Purdy' in the New Avengers? Probably not as you would have been pretty young at the time, Kimber. Anyway, she was quite delicious in those days. Still is, in my esteem.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

will you hate me if i tell you i have never seen Dr. Who? I have seen Samantha who. I do agree with you that darren number one was the very best darren.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

Gee, I guess I'm a geek. :-)
I enjoyed reading this. I definitely agree with you about the Darrens.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Doctor Who????

5:14 AM  
Blogger VioletSky said...

Yay, another Dr Who fan! I was going to write a post on the delicious DT leaving and the possiblities of the luscious BP replacing him (hoping not - she will forever be Rose) but thought too many people would just bypass and it would fall on blind eyes.

And since Douglas Adams wrote some episodes of Dr Who, it should not be a surprise that we both put The Hitchhiker and The Doctor in the same categoy of brilliance.

Darn, and I do remember Joanna Lumley in the New Avengers (not because she wasn't good, but because I am that old!). I also remember her in Coronation Street.

4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home