Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Go ahead and vent, compadres, it'll do us all a world of good

The joke question once was: How do you tell a Canadian? He’s the guy who, if he bumps into a coffee table, apologizes to the table.

Too often I tend to agree with sentiment of the gag, and it depresses me to know that it’s true much of the time.

Americans are accused of being brasher than we Canadians are and certain Canadians (I stress ‘certain’) use this misapprehension to give themselves a sense of moral superiority rather than a perceived wimpiness.

Invariably I have found the Americans with whom I have dealt in my travels and assorted interchanges to be polite and gracious. The difference, however, is that those in the US are less inclined to take crap from people – especially people in power.

In my experience I have always found the English to be much blunter and more forthright than Americans, to the extent of being downright rude on some occasions. Usually charmingly so, but rude nevertheless.

The point remains, however, that Canadian politeness and resignation over decisions made by our politicians, bureaucrats, plutocrats, judges and all other manner of poltroons has been significantly self-defeating and shameful. In that I have periodically voiced the sentiment that: “It’s too bad we’re not more inclined to adopt the fine old American custom of political assassination.” I say it waggishly – somewhat.

But, last week and through the weekend my compatriots did me proud. Finally, finally Canadians were pissed off enough to let others know they were MAAAAAD! It was heavenly to see. I am not about to get into sides on the issue. I have my beliefs and others have theirs and probably never shall the twain meet, but that’s OK. That’s democracy. And Canadians stood up to unmistakabley let the players in the nation's capital know that we consider them 'all' to be talentless bozos having no right to be exercising their will over a people who had heretofore trusted in you. Yes, your 'all' might be different from mine but, like I said, democracy in a free nation.

How dare the political bosses and their minions? For shame all, absolutely all of you, regardless of your party affiliations. For shame for the hubris that led you to say “Fuck you” to a nation.

I say this in a non-partisan manner. I have my beliefs as I suggest and possibly think that some players are more sinister (and stupid) than others, but nobody comes out with the fragrance of roses in this other than the put-upon and formerly too trusting Canadian public.

From coast-to-coast during the weekend Canadians on both sides of the equation attended rallies and demonstrations stating their case and their belief that no politician has the right to tamper with this democracy. It was heartening and I hope the message was clear for the inhabitants of the Corridors of Ineptitude, Hubris, Self-Seeking and Divisiveness. The crap you foisted on us all will not be easily forgotten.

Over the last month Canadians have looked southward and have marvelled at both the success and fence-mending skills of your President-elect. May he succeed in all he is trying to attempt for he sets the watermark of what voters should be seeking. It’ll take Mr. Obama a while to offset the ghastliness of the Bush years, but most Canadians believe it will happen and will take comfort in that right alongside you. May some of that spill over north of the border.

In my pique I’ll also make mention of the lazy bastards in Canada who couldn’t get off their fat asses to vote in the last federal election: In the first place, shut up. And secondly realize that your role in our federal debacle was huge, so learn to live up to your responsibilities. Maybe then our so-called leaders will not get off the hook so easily in future.


Phew, glad that's off my chest. Now I can go back to being polite and apologizing to tables.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

It was heartening and I hope the message was clear for the inhabitants of the Corridors of Ineptitude, Hubris, Self-Seeking and Divisiveness. The crap you foisted on us all will not be easily forgotten.

a) The message will be largely ignored.

b) And the crap will be all but forgotten in a month or so.

Apathy will win out again.

11:22 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

Oh Jazz! Sadly, I think you may be correct.
I have admired fleetingly, some politicians. Until they took office, then it seemed, their true colours came to the fore.

Ian, I nicked your 99. Enjoyed it!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Jazz -- sigh -- I know you're likely right, but I can dream, can't I?

11:56 AM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

May we all spill over to each other, stealing the best customs and philosophies of other countries and claiming them as our own.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Laura Jane Williams said...

*spits at the thought of political apathy*

And yes, we Brits can be quite rude, can't we? We are very good at it!

x

3:09 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

I do blame some complainers who don't understand. I heard this in the news from a person on the street: "I don't think they should be allowed to tamper with our democratic process like that".
Um... that IS our democratic process. It has happened before. It might happen again. It is above board. Read the rules.
But it all takes away from the most important question. Should tax money go to support political parties. If not, how do we keep corporate influence out of government? Isn't that what started all this? Why is no one actually talking about that anymore?

4:34 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Ian, I like you better when you rant. You know how I feel about all this crap. Watching the Peter Mansbridge interview with Harper, I wanted to slap Mansbridge for constantly interrupting him whenever he was trying to get a point across, downright rude...ciao

6:43 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Hear, hear. But as others say, it will all die down again very quickly. There just doesn't seem to be the fire in the belly that others seem to have politically speaking.
No one seems to have a handle on anything in recent years,everyone just seems to bumble around.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I think many Americans are rude and uncouth. My experience with Canadians are that they are the wise, classy and gentle. The US can learn a thing or two from our North American Neighbors. But there is nothing like a good rant now and again.

12:46 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I felt like I had a lot to say but I guess I am not a typical brash American. I will say that I met Jazz and her husband and I really really liked them. As for Canadian politics, like most Americans I am completely ignorant. Don't take it personally, I don't keep up with any foreign governments except the horrible ones. Gotta watch my back, you know.

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home