Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Oh all right, whatever it will be. Satisfied?


My times they are a-changin’.

Of late I have been working diligently to follow the premise of ‘letting go.’ It’s working OK. Not perfectly, but it’s still better for me, and so much more logical. It’s a big and nasty world and there is little I can do to fix it. It’s not always easy, but in that I go back to the remarkable wisdom of the Serenity Prayer: About 20 times a day when things haven’t been going right.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I can.
And the wisdom to know the difference
.

If that isn’t sufficient for you, I can give you the same thing in Hawaiian, in case you’re feeling in a certain vacation spirit.

E ke Akua Mana Loa, E ha’awi mai I ka maluhia
E ‘ae m ai I na mea I hiki ‘ole ai ia’u ke ho’ololi,
Ka ikaika e ho’ololi ai I na mea hiki ai,
A me ka na’auao e maopopo ai ka ‘oko’a.

Cool. Now I feel better in two languages, my at-home one and my vacation one.

So, what are the things I cannot change and therefore should not be lying awake or dealing with a zero libido, loss of appetite, plumbing distress, palpitations, prickly heat or diaper rash over? Why, damn near everything. But, specifically?

- the economy, other than my own sensible regard over my resources


- international politics. The bastards will do what they want to do regardless of what I might think, and regardless of how senseless and even suicidal their behaviors are.

- Domestic politics. Currently, despite the boneheadedness of Canadian politicians of all stripes – and may they all go to hell in my esteem for not having even the slightest inkling of what democracy actually means and what a vote actually means (hey, we voted for these guys because we hate your guts) – I have done just one little thing. I sent off a letter to the Governor General requesting a general election. Other than that I can do no more.

- The plight – deserved or otherwise – of the Big 3 automakers. Quite frankly I don’t really care for their travails except for the fact we’re talking jobs and local economies here, folks. Then I could, if I let myself, get all Michael Moore-ish.

- The impending demise of the Spotted Owl. Haven’t ever killed no spotted owls, and that’s about the best I can do.

Now, the courage to change the things I can department. That I can do if I choose to. If any of those elements that follow are causing me distress then it is my call to rectify them. If I don’t, then I have no right to whine and I equally have no mandate to blame anybody else. So, what are those?

- taking care of my health and making whatever changes might be needed to continue to thrive.

- Extending gestures of love and affection to those nearest and dearest.

- Doing what I can to give back to my community which, for all its flaws, has generally treated me well.

- Letting go of people and practices of my past if there is no reason to continue with either.

- Coming to realize that just because I wouldn’t do a certain negative thing to another, it doesn’t mean they won’t do those things to me.

- Accepting that.

- Letting go of guilt.

- Letting go of things that might invoke guilt, including the fun things. Realistically those fun things are the most guilt-inducing.

- Not internalizing imagined slights from people I might cherish. Could be they’re having a bad day.

- Or, it could be they don’t love me as much as I might fancy I love them.

- Keeping c’est la vie, que sera, and shit happens in prominent places in my working lexicon.

I plan to have a good day. Hope you do as well.



Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Leesa said...

Very interesting. I have been thinking about writing about this for a while. Guess you beat me to the blog entry.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

That's what I say!
Off With Their Heads!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Christ, not another election! Between the feds and the provincials, we've been having an election every two months in Quebec.

I understand that people who voted conservative aren't tickled pink about the idea of a coalition government, but at the same time, the majority of Canadians voted against the Conservatives.

Personally I think they're all boneheads. And trading an asshole for a dishmop... there really isn't much point is there?

As George Costanza's dad would say: Serentity now, serenity now...

1:15 PM  
Blogger Wenderina said...

It seems these days you must actively make that choice doesn't it? There are so many things we cannot change, that those we can seem miniscule in comparison, and those two facts together definitely undermines the courage part. Wisdom? Yeah...never claim to have that in any quantity.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

Don't be shy. Say what you really mean! LOL

5:54 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Aaah, I wish I could be so serene. Watching the shenanigans in Ottawa is making me ill and my blood pressure go up. Watching the sinking ship that is the stock market gives me palpitations. My husband said I should disconnect from tv and internet for a month (cold turkey)to rest my brain but all kidding aside, I don't think the GG will give us a new elections so I propose the three bimbos should be forced to live at 24 Sussex together with Harper at butler, he he... ciao

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this is so timely for me. I just posted a sticky note on my mirror that says "Let it go." I'm hoping that it will sink in.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

One of the things I love about reading your blog is that you are SO darned reflective! It's wonderful to see such a list where you're really bringing yourself to account for both of these categories of things. Thought about you today too because I saw that movie, Rachel Getting Married. Have you seen it? AND, I tagged you for a meme.

11:33 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I've condensed it to just:
And the wisdom to know the difference.

That's all I need and it's like deep cleansing breathes.

Get your deep cleansing breathes in whatever form you find them and smile.

12:21 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

the current fed choice [was]: one stooge, or the 3 stooges... won't know now til late january, but i hope it's a general election, too... did we not just have one?

11:57 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Hi Ian,
Thanks for stopping by.
My life sure is interesting right now for sure.
I know that mantra well.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Great thoughts here Ian. I'm with Geewits - "the wisdom to know the difference" is what I'm hanging onto these days.

3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home