Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Musings on the Eve of 2009

Myself and Colin (at the dawn of time) being smart and good looking

While 2008 has had its up-and-down moments; my particular annus horribilis was 1996.

Lost loves are meant to stay that way.

If there were a single word essence to my philosophy it would be ‘forgiveness.’

In one of her drunken rambles my mother once said in reference to two of her sons (both of whom were present): “You were always the smart one and Colin was the good looking one. Thus damning us both. Forgiveness still comes hard for this one. Maybe someday.

I love my brother, Colin, dearly. And he me. We both cherish that and need it.

Ants are intriguing
. They ‘speak’ to one another. There are more of them than there are of us. They are likely more important.

Because I was ‘too talkative’
in my third grade class the teacher banished me to sit on the ‘girls’ side of the room I was in heaven. I suspect that was where it all began.

Maybe I was a class clown, but never thought of myself as such. But I was funny. I know that now.

A kid in junior high once asked me how I knew a particular fact. I said I had read it. “Is that all you do is read?” he asked disdainfully. He became a plumber. He probably made more money than I ever did.

The stupidest waste of a year of my life came when I, after I got my degree, decided to take secondary teacher training. It was all inane. You either are a teacher or not, and no half-baked pedant can teach you to be one.

I was a good teacher and a popular one. I hated it. In retrospect those eight years were not happy ones.

Good reporters follow the wisdom of the old guys. Read some H.L. Mencken and Ernie Pyle and you don’t need much more.

In loving ‘more’ is not necessarily ‘better.’

Every man should someday meet with a femme fatale. You learn from that – if you survive.

Drug addicts have found their ‘happy place’, but it is a brief one punctuated by depravity, dishonesty and despair.

I believe in God but I don’t need somebody in a white backwards collar to interpret God for me.

A friend went on three spiritual pilgrimages to India in vain attempt to find his true spirituality. Eventually he found it was inside himself all the time and he could have saved the airfare.

Vancouver
likes to sell itself as a ‘world-class city.’ It is nothing of the sort. True world-class cities (and there are others) that I have spent time in include London, San Francisco, Montreal, and Dublin. Dublin may seem like a bit of a backwater, but there is more history and soul (albeit often misguided) on a single block of O’Connell Street than in the whole of Vancouver.

The best Chinese restaurant
I ever visited was in Honolulu’s Chinatown.

I got Griffin, my cat, at the beginning of 1997. He is now old and spare of shank, yet he somehow seems wise. I don’t know how I’ll take it when he goes.

I rarely cry. I mist, but rarely cry. But I did in early 1997. Great racking sobs that lasted hours. I think it was needed.

Love may keep us together, but money seems to be a vital part of the equation, too.

I’ve had many crushes in my life. I always remember them, and sometimes they have lasted down the years. They must never be realized. That destroys the mythology.

I don’t do New Year’s Resolutions, but I do ‘intentions’, as in this might be attainable or not. But at least I’ve tried. Each year we write out our intentions on a sheet of paper, and as the new year comes in we take them outside and burn them; turn them over to God, or whatever cosmic muffin might be listening. And, I believe He/She/It is.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Forgiveness is often easier said than done. Well done for mastering that. I'm sure you are a better person for it. I hope you have a most wonderful New Year.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Sugar. said...

All the best to you and yours for 2009, may it be full of love and laughter. Happy New Year Ian!

10:48 AM  
Blogger vivavavoom said...

I do intentions too! love this list/glimpse into who you are. Glad I came upon your blog in 2008...one of the highlights. Many blessings Ian in 2009.

10:48 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

happy new year to you and yours, ian :)

11:12 AM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

The plumber may have made more money, over the course of a lifetime, but I'll bet he's also handled quite a bit more feces.

I think you got the better end of that situation.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

Thanks for sharing. It's been nice keeping up with you for another year. :)

1:01 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Another tidbit from the inimitable Mr Lidster.

I thought Vancouver deadly dull when I moved here from Sydney via two years in London. It still is in so many areas although better. But it is a beautiful spot.

Happy New Year Ian.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

Wow. Deep. I love the photo of you and your brother, and share your sentiments on forgiveness.
I smile as I imagine you on the 'girls' side of the classroom.
Happy New Year, Ian.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Adele said...

happy new year, i hope 2009 is a good one.

8:15 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

I love this post. Love it. Ian, if you were to compile a book of tidbits like these, I would buy it. I can only speak for myself, but I think a lot of other people would buy it, too.

I'm just saying.

Happy New Year to you and Wendy, and I'm looking forward to a coffee and chat sometime very soon.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I totally agree with Kimber - this was a fantastic, witty and wise post. Hope 2009 proves to be a memorable year for you Ian.

1:17 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Happy New Years Ian to you and your family.
I don't do new year resolutions either.
May 2009 bring you health, happiness, peace and prosperity.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think reflecting on your lige is important with the dawning of a new year, but I also chafe a little at the idea of resolutions. Happy 2009!

7:48 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

You sound as wise as your cat. I hope Colin eventually felt smart and that you felt handsome.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Lady Fi said...

Love your reflections. And you're right - forgiveness is key!

3:58 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I hope 2009 holds much that is good, & some that is great, for you & Wendy, Ian.
Happy New Year.

2:53 PM  
Blogger DianeSchuller.com said...

I don't do resolutions either, just intentions (but I do annual goals for my writing and photography).

Diane

9:45 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I was constantly singled out by grade school teachers for being "too talkative," too. They didn't send me to the boys' section, however, but to the Principal. And they sent notes home to my already chagrined parents.

I outlived them all and am still too talkative.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home