Monday, December 29, 2008

Oops -- hold your water, dear


Regardless of how you look at it, all it takes is one little glitch, a tiny bump, to throw your life into complete disarray.

Wendy and I were snuggled all comfortably in our bed on a Sunday night (yesterday, in fact), and she was reading “her Emily Dickinson, and I my Robert Frost”. Well, not really those tomes, but it was pre-lights-out reading time. It was all ever so nice. Then, Wendy said she could hear a hissing. It sounded like water running, she said. Normally I might suggest she was imagining it, or just hearing a night noise. But, this time I could hear it too.

We arose and went through the house checking all faucets and turn-ons and nothing seemed to be amiss. Then, on a hunch, I lifted the trap door to the crawlspace. And there it was. It wasn’t a hissing sound like a lady having a pee; it wasn’t a trickling sound like a babbling brook, it was a bloody torrential, Nile cataract sound. Uh-oh!

We went down and it was pouring out all over boxed papers, old computer bits, chairs, items of cabinetry currently redundant, and other stuff that had been stored away. It was a low-grade disaster to punctuate the end of our weekend.

I called an emergency plumbing service number. I was told I’d have to get the town to shut off the water before he could do anything. I called their after-hours number and a guy came out. And, in one of those rare happenstances, this fellow was a gem. He was wonderful, conscientious, caring and rapidly became a god in our books. I want to leave him something in my will, so impressed was I. How often does a body get that from a civic employee, especially when the time is nearing midnight in raw weather? He looked through everything, got thoroughly soaked, realized he had to go to the street and find the main shutoff. It took ages for him to get there, and he had to dig down close to the netherworld before he actually found the shutoff. But, he did. And we were able finally to hit the sack for real.

Fortunately, we did have the foresight to plan ahead before the water was shut down for the night. We filled a bunch of buckets and the laundry room washtub so that we could dump buckets into the potty tank and avoid that disagreeable inconvenience. We also set the coffee maker up to go in the morning, and filled a pitcher with drinking water. Very clever we were.

This morning a plumbing guy came and rectified the problem. The water was turned on. It was a return to paradise, we could shower, use the toilet, and so forth. It was all a reminder of how much we come to count on relatively simple things – simple things that would be regarded as a luxury in many parts of the world.

At the end of it, we were kind of grateful for a number of things. As said, we weren’t away from the house at the time, and we were served well by a couple of really thoughtful guys, one from the town and one from a plumbing company. We’ll now have to see if our insurance company is as obliging.

And my shower this morning was heavenly.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Sugar. said...

Holy cow! That's a terrible thing to have happen, good thing you were at home though. Can you imagine the damage if you were away on holiday? Yikes! Lucky break on getting two nice repair guys too. Don't hear of that too often. It is funny how we take things like indoor plumming and hot running water for granted. They truly are luxuries. Good luck with the insurance people.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Happy Christmas Ian! Wow, what a palaver, but I have to say, I was totally with you on this- although it was totally my fault as I left the bath running at my parents house and flooded their safe, to which they then couldn't find the key so we could just hear everything getting soaked in there! We had to get someone down (on Boxing Day) to drill through the lock. And our loos weren't working either. We had a bucket by them too- it wouldn't be a true Christmas without these things!!

1:16 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

:( and :)... all in one night

glad you had the foresight to store some water, but then, i'd expect that from any smart canuck ;)

2:27 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Oh gosh how awful - but how wonderful and unusual to find such accommodating and helpful repairmen!

3:51 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

You know I can relate to this. I hate these types of things. The only advice I have is if you have already used your howeowners insurance this year, especially twice, don't report it at all - just swallow the cost. If you haven't made any claims this year, you should be fine.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

I can relate, except for us it was water coming from the ceiling. A very disagreeable adventure but the guys that fixed the roof and the guys that repaired the ceiling were very professional and nice. It makes the disaster easier to take.

7:04 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

One of those 'what bad luck' 'what good luck' stories Ian. I hope there was nothing irreplaceable ruined by the water.

We once had a flood through our rented garage & it ruined papers & photos that were irreplaceable. I have tried to console myself with the thought that perhaps they needed to go from my life for some reason.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

I hold my water very dear.

4:17 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Wow, how awful. This on top of the snow!
Some great people still exist and lucky you came across some of them.

Happy New Year to you Ian.

4:22 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Ouch. I keep my paintings on the basement floor so that sent a chill down my spine.

Happy New Year, Ian, and I hope you have a dry 2009. xo

6:41 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

When I grow up, I want to write as well as Ian.

I feel your pain on the plumbing issue. I'm glad you found two wonderful guys to assist you.

1:13 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I'd expect the insurance company won't be so nice. Insurance companies are evil spawn of the devil.

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home