Thursday, January 08, 2009

Or, I could just bang on the drum all day

“Are you one of those guys who plans to work until he’s 80?” asked a friend the other day. She asked because I told her I wouldn’t be able to meet her for coffee the following day because I had to work. As to her entreaty, I suggested that if she would like to lay some huge sums of money upon me I would happily retire tomorrow – I think.

So, I still work. Albeit on a part-time basis, and that is reality. The people of my age who don’t work are those ‘elites’ like politicians and bureaucrats who take full-advantage of an odd dichotomy in our society that deems that some – in the employ of the government, hence those who make the rules – are worthy of handsome pensions. Others, like the rest of us, are scum and unworthy of public purse supplements. We only get to pay for those pensions for the elite via our taxes.

About that two-tiered society, all I can say is WTF? How did that come about? How was it deemed that a collection of drones who probably don’t provide so very much get to spend their later years in luxury?

Oh, don t worry about it. I’m not bitter. I mean, when I got divorced the first time I was fully entitled to attach half my schoolteacher wife’s pension (she retired at 55, BTW), but pride forced me to refrain.

God, I’m a noble bastard.

Since my second wife had scarcely a pot in which to wee there was nothing I could attach from her. In fact, she still owes me, but that would be quibbling on my part. See ‘noble bastard’ reference.

Whew, now that I have that off my chest, let’s go back to the whole retirement thing. On this particular day, February 8th, 2009, I am too young to be retired, and have nothing but contempt and pity – yes, pity – for those who embrace that Freedom 55 myth. You people have lots of talent and education and if your health is good, get your asses out there and do something useful. Wandering a golf course all day, every day, just to put in time until Happy Hour does not qualify as useful.

Am I disparaging these people? You bet I am. I have the right. It’s my blog and I don’t get one of those big pensions.

I used to have investments for my ‘golden years’. I mean, I still do, but I’m afraid to ask what they look like. So, I still work at both counseling and freelancing, and frankly, I like it. Part time gives me freedom to work on my own stuff and, considering the state of the economy, Wendy and I are still swimming in good fortune -- as long as she keeps working, that is. But, she's a whole lot younger than I am, so you see that was part of my retirement plan, too. I didn't suggest I was 'completely' noble.

Yes, that is the truth. I am either very warped or utterly conditioned, but I like suiting up and getting out once in a while. It keeps me vital. And, the fact that there are those who still believe I have marketable skills – and I do – validates me.

I don’t mean to disparage all of those who get those big, fat %$#@&& princely government pensions. I know of people, and respect them hugely, who have taken those pension bucks and run off, no not to the south of France or Tahiti, but to Africa and other third world spots and are giving of themselves unstintingly to better the lives of those in need. One woman I know (and I think she and her husband should be sainted, and could be since they’re both good Catholics) uses her retirement resources and her husbands Air Force pension to finance her work in orphanages in Romania and the Ukraine. She is in her mid-70s.

What I do mean is that life is not over at a certain age, so I, as long as health permits, will be happy to do a bit of work. I also want the freedom to also head off to the south of France, should finances permit. God, that big pension would sure help there.

So, back to my friend; she suggested that she too would likely be working until she was 80 then, when she retires, we’d finally be free to have coffee whenever we chose.

“You’re 20 years younger than I am,” I said. “Will you help me get to the coffee joint? Provided I’m not still working, that is.”

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Vic said...

You echo my views on the amazing lunacy of having those who work for secure government jobs (the oxymoronic "public servant" phrase comes to mind) continuing to collect at the public trough - index-linked even - while we suckers, who attempted to do innovative things, watch in dismay as our savings are sliced and taxed to hell. Is this Monday, as it feels like a good rant!

As for continuing to work after the magical "retirement", I too pity those who can't think of a better way to spend their lives than aimlessly hitting poor defenceless white balls around a course all day. I just want to be able to work because I desire to do so, not because I will be thrown out of my place and have to eat poor quality dog food if I don't.

End of rant.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Good rant, Vic. I so concur.

1:54 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I could work up a good head of steam about public "servants" with cushy "jobs" who retire in great luxury, but what's the use?

I can't imagine retiring to crochet doilies, but my husband's early-onset Alzheimer's forced him to retire at 50, and I must also stay home as caregiver. I also had to give up various volunteer activities like the Humane Society.

We live on a fixed income, which is difficult and frustrating because I still have the ability and desire to work.

In an ideal world, someone would pay me to write, which I could do from home. But then, in an ideal world, Flip wouldn't have AD, would he?

2:33 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Both my husband and I got sent to mandatory pasture at 65, not on fat cat pensions but ones we paid for ourselves.

He happily hits golf balls around in the summer and wastes his time generally in the winter. Whereas I am the one who still has to be involved in all sorts of things.

Unfortunately our identities seem so much tied up with our jobs that many people do not find retirement easy at all. How many of us describe ourselves as retired whatever it was that we did.

It sounds like what you have is perfect for you, well maybe a bit more play money would be nice.

4:28 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

We look on in disbelief, as the Aus govt pays the bonus handout to some Kiwis who spent 3 years working & travelling here, then returned to NZ. How come??It seems unfair, given that they got all their super returned, all their taxes back, & yet they still get a handout?

Politicians do nothing, get caught in fraud over cars, interfere with young girls... but do they get punished? O hell yes, with a huge fecking pension for having been a politician, even if it was briefly!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Funny, I'll have no problem leaving my job behind if ever I can afford to retire (I don't have the cushy pension plan).

There are so many things I want to do before I die, so many places to see, so much to experience that leaving the job behind won't be a problem at all.

And nary a golf ball will be seen.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

I completely agree with you on this. I've been officially disabled since late 2000. The boredom has been more than I can bear at times. But then, I was a workaholic multitasking sort.

Now, I do what I can when I can. I founded a national non-profit for my rare disorder. I help others. I don't get paid for any of it but what it gives me in self-esteem is priceless. And helping other people like me is the absolute best work I've ever done. I've never enjoyed something so much.

I have no clue how people retire and sit around. I'd rather do something, even if it's not a lot by most people's standards, than do nothing and just exist.

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My drem is to get to a point where I can gradually cut back to about 1/3 time - maybe three mornings a week or something like that.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

My Dad is almost 65 and says he probably won't retire. One, he loves what he does and two, he says he can't really afford it. He always tells me that retiring at 65 is a myth of sorts and that if Christopher Lee (the actor) can still work, then he can too!

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home