Friday, January 23, 2009

What if the 'Reaper's' not grim at all?

So, what are you afraid of?

- Flying?
- Relationships?
- Sex?
- Sharks?
- Poverty?
- Climate change?
=Loneliness?
- Illness?
- Humiliation?
- Beaking wind in public?
- That you’ll never catch up with those episodes of Lost that you missed?

Life on this planet can be a formidable challenge, even in good times. And fear is an element that dominates life so profoundly that some people are rendered immobile, and sometimes even invalided by their overweening sense of doom and destruction. Not that there is anything wrong with a slight sense of doom and destruction – it tends to keep us from making bonehead decisions. It’s all a matter of fight-or-flight survival.

But, at the end of the day, despite all our conglomeration of fears both big and small, there is one fear that overrides all others. Indeed, some schools of psychiatric theorizing maintain that ‘all’ fear boils down to one thing – fear of death!

Even our tiniest elements of trepidation ultimately flow through and pick bits of refuse along the way until they become cluttered with conditions that become increasingly life-threatening.

Death comes to us all and, no matter how much we might try to protest to the contrary, it scares the bejesus out of us. No matter how spiritually attuned we are, no matter how churchy we might be, it’s the end of that long and winding road that invariably gives even the strongest pause. We hesitate and are gripped with negativity because we don’t know what it looks like. Myth or even ‘belief’ to the contrary, nobody has really come back, as far as we know.

This blog was not prompted by the recent death of a friend, I’d actually begun it a couple of weeks ago. Mind you, his demise adds a certain poignancy to it all.

Nor is the blog intended to be dreary and depressing. Come to think of it, why do we consider death a depressing thing? Of course we miss those we love, but in a broader sense, why is it a depressing thing? I mean it happens to absolutely everyone, sort of like adolescent zits.

We find it depressing because we don’t understand what it is. I mean, we absolutely don’t understand what it is other than the cessation of life.

So, during our lives, and out of fear, we endeavor to keep death at bay. Sometimes we do it in inappropriate ways, like lots of boozing and doping and screwing and overworking and watching American Idol. Or, we do it in ways that we think are wiser, like taking real good care of our health and cutting back or eliminating our bad habits and watching PBS. Or, we pray our fool heads off thinking God will intervene and give us an understanding. Some even attest they have gotten that message. Maybe they have, but they’re still frightened, I've noticed.

So, that junkie or street rummy who keeps indulging in practices that will guarantee an early demise, why do they do it? Because, ironically, they’re afraid of dying.

I have no answers here. If I had, then it would mean I’d solved one of the universe’s great mysteries. It's not referred to as the 'Great Unknown' for no reason.

The only thing I can say is that as your cat or dog ages, that pet never thinks about death, nor is it afraid. The fools. Too bad they're not smart like we are.



Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Dumdad said...

"- Beaking wind in public?"

Yep, I'm afraid of that. That and misspelling things!

(Sorry couldn't resist; feel free to point out my mistakes!)

8:44 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

Dumdad just took all the "grim" out of it, didn't he? :) Funny!

I could never get grown ups to talk with me about Death. I was full of questions.
Then again, it must have been just a bit intimidating to have a little girl approach and try to engage in a serious conversation about Death.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

The one thing that I am NOT afraid of is death. I like your creative approach to this topic.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I try not to think about it, but it does catch up to me now and then. A friend of mine once said that the only way you live on after death is through people who remember you. When the last person who remembers you or knows of you is gone, so are you...

I think it would be much easier to deal with if I believed that there is something after, that something lives on.

Or if I were a cat.

12:44 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

i dread the loss,, the being left behind is almost to much for me at times.... but i am not afraid to die.. i am curious.. i wanna know where i am going from here.. sometimes it seems like where ever it is it would have to be better... after all... i didn't ask to come here either did i??????

here's a fun site that offers a place for commenter to add what they are afraid of... just found it yesterday..... scary place

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"All our times have come
Here but now they're gone
Seasons don't fear the reaper
Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain..we can be like they are"
(Blue Oyster Cult)

2:02 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

The older I get the more I think about it. But I am sure I would be happier if I were like those animals.

You are right. All the speculation, faith, or whatever, we cannot know for sure until it happens.

No avoiding it so let's make every day here count.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I'm not the least bit afraid of death but do hope there's not a heap of pain involved.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Eric Valentine said...

Thinking about dying is a funny thing for me, I have COPD.

I just want to last until the things I feel I have still to do, are finished. :)

Nice blog BTW

7:24 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

In my 20's the death terrified me. I wondered how old people get through the day knowing how numbered are their days. Now, I don't fear it. Maybe it's because a few years ago I came way to close to shaking hands with the grim reaper after 4 heart surgeries in 7 weeks. I'm all healthy now, but never have lost the gratitude for each new day I get to be here. Great fodder for thought, thanks Ian.
V.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

There is always something to be afraid of, but we should not let it dominate our lives. Let's stay positive and strive to look for the good in life to celebrate.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home