Monday, January 26, 2009

Ain't your fault, Ma, it's all in that old cellular memory


Last week I had one of those revelatory moments. Almost an epiphany in the sense it explained so much and left me with a bit more understanding about who I am and why I have done some of the things I have.

I have always had a memory with great longevity. To a degree I have a photographic (not to mention highly photogenic, my dears) memory. Not totally photographic but significant enough in impact that I see everything in pictures in my mind. That doesn’t mean, by the way, that I was a brilliant student. That was impeded by a strong element of lazy bastard-ness in me. I only remembered what I wanted to remember. And, that’s not really the subject of this essay, except in a peripheral way.

I also have a memory with great longevity. I remember back to the age of 2½ and not just as sporadic images but even sequentially to a degree.

Now, an attempt to tie this together. Last week I attended an afternoon long workshop for counsellors, social workers, shrinks and other such persons offered by the rather brilliant Dr. Gabor Maté, He is a man who tends to the wants and needs of the inhabitants of what is considered the ickiest bit of real estate in North America, Vancouver’s drug-wasted and tragic Downtown Eastside – a few square blocks of horror and tragedy that you will not find in any tourist guide. It’s a scary and sad place and that’s where Dr. Maté finds his client base.

Anyway, I was familiar with this dedicated man, and had interviewed him for an extensive newspaper article last spring. And, I had read his book. But, I hadn’t heard him speak and he was one of those speakers who was, in a word, riveting. The three hours passed like minutes.

Now, here is the revelation that ‘riveted’ me. He pointed out that we are all victims, more or less, of what we remember from our past. But, the information that took me to a place of revelation was that what we remember is different from what we recall.

Recollection is our conscious memory. You know, when I was five I had a red wagon. True memory is at a cellular level and begins, quite literally, at birth. We remember being thrust from the womb, as it were, but we are not conscious of it. And, what happens immediately after Mom’s final grunt to expel us sticks with us for the rest of our lives. And, if it’s not an ideal situation, for various reasons, then there is a penalty.

I have been bothered for many years by the fact I did not grieve for my mother when she died. I felt little emotion, but assumed it would come later after the news had sunk in. It never has. I have never, I am almost ashamed to say, missed her. I mean, yes, she was an alcoholic, an aloof and not demonstrative woman, she was immature, infuriating and all those other things. But, you know, she was my Mom, and that usually excuses a lot of stuff. Yet, when my grandmother died when I was 14, I was devastated. I still miss her. If there is a big reunion up in the sky after I leave the worldly scene, she is the person I want to see again.

Dr. Maté explained why. And the why is, my grandmother, as far as my little cells are concerned, was ‘my mother.’ Not as strange as it seems. Immediately following my birth, Mom came down with scarlet fever. She was put under quarantine for six months and my grandmother leapt into the breach. So, it was with her I bonded, imprinted, if you will and she was the one who in my vitals always filled the motherhood role.

I have written elsewhere that the happiest time in my very young years was when the family lived with my grandparents for a few months when they were building what would be our family home. As far as I was concerned, they needn’t have bothered because at my grandparents’ I was home. It was where I was ‘meant’ to be. The essence of my being told me that and I had no control over it. If my natural mother was anything she, through no fault of her own, was my adoptive mother.

It all explained a lot, not only my lack of grief for my mother, abandonment issues, and a seeking of numerous female liaisons throughout at chunk of my life, though not in recent years. I am with somebody whom I trust implicitly will not abandon me like my cellular memory told me mother had, even if she had no control over it.

Thanks, Dr. Maté for clearing that up for me. Makes it easier to move on with a little understanding and less guilt.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those early "memories" form us, even though we don't consciously recall them. Patients have asked me what is the point of doing good things for their very young kids if they are not going ot remember them anyway, and I alwys say that those happy expereinces are vital, that they shape who a person becomes.

3:15 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Being kind & loving to a baby is NEVER a wasted activity. This post is so interesting.
The sad thing is, so often, the mother has no control over what happens to her or her child. The child certainly has no say, & carries the 'burden' for life.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

That's pretty deep, Ian. I'm so glad you had your grandmother there to step in. There are so many children who do not have anyone to step in and they never feel grief over anybody's death.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

What a shame no one told you this years ago and saved you a lot of heartache - but then it may bot have been known at that time. We never realize how deeply children are affected by a parent's actions.

5:37 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

my mother was divorced by the time i was 4 months old and my gran more or less raised me too.. when i was a little girl i used to say to gran,, "mama here comes noreen and i am not going home with her... "

as a result i guess i have never bonded as well as i would have liked to have with my mom... but i do love her,, and will be a basket case if and when she passes....

5:41 PM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

This makes a great deal of sense and explains much.

I'm glad there was at least some positive (and hopefully affectionate) female figure in your life. It's funny, this business of trying to figure out invisible patterns. Although they're invisible, they have profound effects.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

You were so lucky to have a loving grandmother to nurture you in those important early months.
Inhope your revelation brings some peace along with the clarity.
V.

8:43 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

That's deep. And did he go further as to suggest that maybe in turn, you were cold to your mother and she, out of hurt, became aloof and turned to the bottle? Just a thought.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

This is fascinating Ian - thank you for this. It's amazing what must stay with us all that time. I think it might be possible that my mother being out cold after the caesarean when I was born, and my father bottle feeding me my first meal and holding me for the first day led to me feeling more affinity with him than my mother. I would be devastated if she died though, so it's not something as profoundly affecting as your situation.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

This does make absolute sense to me. Thank goodness you had such a kind grandmother. I am glad you had someone who was for you. You truly have been through so much in your life haven't you? And yet here you are...resilient, compassionate, and giving. You are quite remarkable Ian!

4:48 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

What a revelation and thank goodness someone helped you to see it. I'm sure it lifted a burden, even though you probably tried not to acknowledge it as such.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

What an interesting post! After I read it, I had an "ah-hah" moment. By sharing your personal experiences, you provided a great public service. Janice Thomson is right: "We never realize how deeply children are affected by a parent's actions."

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home