Wednesday, February 11, 2009

That's me. Ian Lidster, 'thousandaire'


Pity the poor banking weasels who are now going to have to subsist on a mere half a million a year. What must that be like? I suppose if your sense of fiscal responsibility and entitlement is stratospheric, it must be a very bad thing to be forced into such penury.

But, it’s all relative. In the (unlikely) mind of a Paris Hilton, I suppose the thought – she has them, they say, though they often conflict with considerations of appropriate nail polish hue – would be a sympathetic one for those who will now have to struggle so.

I do not live in such exalted realms. I’m also a tight-fisted bastard. So, when I accrue a few dollars, I detest spending them. I like getting bank statements showing four (sometimes even five) figures. I detest debt and attempt to scrupulously avoid it. Right now Visa owes me $11.35. How cool is that?

So, by this stage of my life the only thing I want to spend money on is (aside from the obvious like mortgage, food, cable and transportation) is travel. That is never money badly spent.

So, you can imagine the joy in my acquisitive soul when blogger Leslie offered me a cool five grand. That’s right. In her tagging of me she said $5,000 would be laid on me; my personal bailout, if you will. All I have to do is respond to a simple question: What would you do if given $5,000? A nice little sum that. Not a half million, but tolerable. So, when she tagged me you can imagine how jubilant I was.
All I have to do to get my five grand is suggest a worthy use for it. Excellent.

It was only a while later that I realized that the sum was strictly symbolic and that no filthy lucre would change hands between her and me. I thought we were friends but I guess we just weren’t as close as I’d imagined.

Nevertheless, I want to play. The only criterion in my response is that my answer has to be sensible and worthwhile, not $5,000 worth of M&Ms, which was a concept she toyed with for a while.

So, here are some possibilities I might consider:
I rejected my initial response which was to lay the money on a friend of mine who is in the process of opening what she hopes will be the first legal brothel in Canadian history. No, my friend is not a ‘lady of the evening’ but she is an advocate for them. Well hookers get a lot of bad press, their lives are often wretched, and some of them can be very nice (don’t ask me how I know that), so the idea wasn’t a bad one. But, I pulled back on the idea because I think there remain too many legal hurdles. So, I move on. OK, now these are my serious suggestions:
1. I have a friend who operates a halfway house for recovering alcoholics/addicts. So often people complete a rehab program but end up having to return to some dysfunctional and shitty dive once clean and sober. This puts them in jeopardy. So, I would happily give my friend some of that largesse.

2. Leslie mentioned her husband suggested investing in solar panels. Brilliant. I could see doing that. A number of years ago when we were in the Cook Islands we noticed that many of the dwellings had solar panels. It made so much sense, and I could only think, what the hell is wrong with us that we’re not doing likewise? Those people are supposed to be primitive. We’re just morons burning up hydrocarbons like there is no tomorrow. Guess what? There isn’t.
3. Provide hypodermics for Type I diabetic children of poor families. In this weird society they give out free syringes to junkies. Yes, I know, it is to thwart the unwanted spread of HIV and Hep-C. Fair enough. Yet addicts are there by choice. Diabetics have no choice. And have no freebies.
4.Donate the bucks to the Island Corridor Society. This is the group that operates the little railway on Vancouver Island. They get little help (other than from loyal passengers, and there are many) from officialdom and deal with governments who want to pave the world into freeways and ignore the highly viable option of rail transit. The Asians and Europeans are about 200 years ahead of us in this regard. No wonder much of the rest of the world thinks North American attitudes are pretty pathetic.
5. Send Ian and Wendy back to Kauai (or the South of France, either will do nicely). You know, just to clean out our psyches so we might continue to contribute to society. Just consider it a body and soul investment. Well, it was worth a shot. The first four suggestions, by the way, are absolutely serious.

Who would I like to see do this? Well, absolutely anybody who wants to give it a shot. It truly does make one think. But specifically I will look for comments by:

Thailand Chani
Merely Me
Cs

Heart in San Francisco
D. Sistrunk
Acuity Todos

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Vic said...

Humm. I have to avoid the urge to be shallow (or at least show that I am).

I would want to do something that acted as a seed for even more good things. $5000 is quite a lot of money, but it could go very quickly.

How about prize money for the best business plan for a new business in the Comox Valley that will employ young people?

Or a prize for a competition for the best marketing campaign to attract new business here?

Or severance packages for the current Business Development Council (or whatever it calls itself!)

Or use the money to fund a campaign to restore cut Arts funding to NIC?

Or I could use it to replenish my chocolate reserves (which make me a happier person, thereby decreasing misery in this world)?

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I'm going to have to give this some thought. I have a rough few days coming up, though, so it will be after that.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

Kiplinger Magazine each year has a contest like this. The best idea to spend $1,000 instead of 5Gs. And the magazine gives people the prize money for their ideas. Sort of cool.

I like the solar panel idea, though I have heard that the cost might be more towards 18G. For a new house, geothermal water heater costs about 6G. Or so I have heard.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

5G isn't enough to do any real, lasting good for anyone. A drop in the bucket. So you shold spend it on you. It will have meaning to one or two people. Not to an institution. My school has 35 students. Very small, but five large would make no difference at all. With our isolation, I can't even do a field trip for five large. You take it. Enjoy the South of France.

But if you ever have an extra million...

6:31 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I just wrote a post about this - but it won't be published until 2/23 (I have been a bit busy with posts lately). Interesting thought . . . and I think I could make $5K make a difference.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Good thing you didn't choose me; I'm not that good at philanthropy.

Me, I'd dump it straight into my retirement fund since I don't have a big company contributing for me. It's all on my head. Course I probably won't live to an age where I can actually afford to retire.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

These are all worthy efforts, including the "body and soul investment."

I jumped when I saw your message on my site. Dang! Now I have to think!
Well, I guess I'd better get to work.

9:02 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I agree with some of the comments~$5000 does not go far.
On the other hand, it depends whose currency it is using... is that American $ or Canadian, or ??
I would probably use it to plant trees. Or create a garden somewhere.

10:00 PM  
Blogger paisley said...

since i have never had $5000.00 to give away,, i never really thought about it,, but i am thinking about it now.... what an interesting predicament....

2:51 AM  
Blogger French Fancy... said...

I'm in Jazz's camp really. I'd dump it in my dwindling nest egg. Selfish cow that I am.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

Thank you, Sir Ian, for playing along so nicely. And tagging, too. Perfect.
You got my curiosity going about who that is on the 5 Thousand $$ bill.
Madison.
Now that would buy a lot of ice cream, Dolly.

3:43 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

atm i have only one place i'd put $5k, toward my older daughter's student loan... she'll grad with her master's in library science and information from dal in may :D

4:52 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Maybe I can approach this backwards, by eliminating some of the things I would NOT use it for:

1. Octuplet implants
2. Jehovah's Witnesses
3. That guy who Madoff with everybody's money
4. Tobacco Industry Lobby
5. Sarah Palin's Greed Fund

Ok, I feel better now. I would give it to a no-kill animal shelter. Their needs are great as they provide food, shelter and veterinary care, and there is never enough money to adequately provide for all the abused and abandoned animals in need.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Well Ian, if I had 5000 bucks to spare I'd be taking myself off to a German or American eye clinic and have my eye operated and fixed...ciao

7:09 PM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

Perhaps some could be spent on sanitary napkins or washable pads for adolescents in certain regions of Africa? It turns out that without them, many girls have to miss school while they're menstruating, and are more likely to drop out of school than their male counterparts. That in turn decreases the number of options they have as adults.

Cardboard box-based solar ovens would be another thought.

Or, hell. Let's throw a party and get name brand chip dip for a change.

9:37 PM  
Blogger maria said...

I would have to be selfish with this one.

I need a new roof and it's going to cost about that much...so ROOF it would be.

Maria

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home