Thursday, February 12, 2009

Using that other L-word


What’s the biggest Hallmark seller after Mother’s Day? Of course it’s Valentine’s Day. Tomorrow. Or, today if you are reading this tomorrow. And Valentine’s Day invariably sends one the direction of thoughts of love.

Not love as in lovemaking, although that’s a darn swell manifestation of love, but more ‘love’ as a word and how we use it.

My handy online dictionary defines it thusly:

love
play_w2("L0262400")
(l v)
n.
1. A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.
2. A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with whom one is disposed to make a pair; the emotion of sex and romance.
3.
a. Sexual passion.
b. Sexual intercourse.
c. A love affair

The foregoing definition works for me and covers the amorous ground, to a degree at least. And in looking at love from that perspective, I sometimes worry if we’ve cheapened the word in recent years by being too ready to use it for all occasions.

I was talking to Wendy on the phone and she told me she was going to lunch with a lady friend that day. I haven’t seen her friend for a long time and don’t really know her that well, but immediately said: “Well, give her my love.”

“I didn’t know you knew her so well that you had such an affection for her,” Wendy said.
“I don’t know her that well, and I couldn’t say if I would feel that way about her if I did know her better. But, you know, it’s just a throwaway. That’s what everybody says.”
“I don’t,” she replied. “I say it to you and that’s about it.”
“OK, I get what you’re saying. Uh – just say ‘hi’ for me.”

People tend to use ‘love’ quite blithely these days. Perhaps it is a sign of perilous and insecure times, or maybe it has just been cheapened. Sort of like the ‘F-word’ which hardly works as a curse any longer as it has become so ubiquitous.

I confess, I use ‘love’ a fair amount. I will call females of my acquaintance ‘love’ or ‘my love’ fairly blithely, though never in a creepy way. But, and it is a big ‘but’, I don’t use it cheaply. If it comes into a reference it is because I feel genuine affection for the individual. Not necessarily hearts-and-flowers, or “let’s leap into bed” affection, but human affection. I am an affectionate person and the world is filled with too much pain, torment and anger.

In that context, I am not offended by the concept of Valentine’s Day. I think it’s rather nice to have one day out of the year given over, if not to huge romantic love, then at least to human affection with no ulterior motive in mind. Unless there is an ulterior motive in mind, and that’s fine, too but it is something you’ll have to work out for yourselves.

Love’ in its broader context is like kissing. There are genuine and deep kisses and they are heavenly, and then there are light kisses. Even light mouth kisses. I only kiss three females on the mouth. My wife, of course, and two old female friends, and in their cases it is very light and fleeting kisses that are only set apart from cheek kisses (the next order in the scale) by the location of their destination. Cheek kisses (either given or received) are nice and also only for special people via some sort of mutual understanding.

To closer female friends I close personal letters or emails with ‘love’. Nothing to do with romance per se, but very much a sign of affection and trust. I email an old old friend whom I’ve known since first grade. When we began writing each other a few years ago she asked if I would object if she closed her letters with ‘love’. I said there was nothing I’d like more. It made me feel good.

Enough.

Happy Valentines Day and love to you all.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Voyager said...

Happy V-day to you too! Love is great thing to have a celebratory day for.
V.
P.S. It's a good day to remember, "Love is verb".

8:47 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Happy V-day. Loved this post.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

Happy V-day! May your love bring you chocolate, or whatever mildly sinful treat you're fond of.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

When I was in college, I struggled to figure out what love was all about. Very confusing, compounded by new freedoms, meeting people from all over the country, and those pesky hormones.

4:48 AM  
Blogger paisley said...

happy valentines day ian..... sounds like you have love down to a science!!!!

5:15 AM  
Blogger lady macleod said...

I knew coming over to see you would make me feel better - I love it when I'm right.

Q is a complete anti-Valentine's Day woman, always has been; I am the mushy one, always have been.

I'm very big on Love - of any sort - the type you give children, the joy I feel every time I kiss and hug a squishy ( anyone's), love of pets, love of the beauty and wonder of Nature and Space, I love my Mac, I love my Nano Pod, I love bubbles (especially if I am the one creating them or they are in a bath), I love fairies (all types), ...

My take on Valentine's Day is this (yes, my lovely daughter I get the fact it is a marketing holiday, but just as with my belief in the ultimate wonder of champagne - I don't care)
the more love of any type, nature, extent, intensity, passing fancy, or Universal compassion - the better!
Uh oh, I feel another post coming on....Ian! I think you are my muse "love" :-)
Happy Valentine's and every other single day to you!

5:49 AM  
Blogger French Fancy... said...

When I wasn't in love I didn't have much time for V Day - thought it was a big commercial conspiracy. Now that I'm happily in love I adore V Day and revel in the flowers I am given.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

Happy Day of Love to you, too. By the end of your post, I was getting a bit misty-eyed. Then I read your label and laughed out loud! The graphic is the icing on the cake. Thank you for this delightful post, love.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

And love to you too Ian. Happy Valentine's Day.

1:48 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I use the word for everything. I even love some TV commercials. How bad is that? I guess we should have all sorts of words for all degrees of loves like the Eskimos were rumored to have for snowflakes.

2:46 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I give mouth kisses only to Flip, not to my children, my friends, or anyone else, although I absolutely love my children and some of my friends.

"Love" is terribly overused, which leads to the conclusion that we are all desperate for it in some form, any form, or other. Perhaps if we behaved more lovingly toward all around us, we could then restore the word to its more exclusive and personal use, where in my opinion, it still belongs.

Do you remember the old song, "You Call Everybody Darling?"

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't limit myself to using the word only with the man I love as a romantic partner. I do love him, of course, but I also love my children and tell them. I am comfortable telling some other family members and friends that I love them (even including my ex). I come from a family that is affectionate and believes in letting people you love know it. I see no harm in that.

8:33 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I think love does make the world go round.
Perhaps I use the word too often, but I never use it lightly or to people I dont really feel love for.
Great post.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I think people use the word love way too much too. And also hate. Hate is a strong word that should be used for strong emotions. I very much doubt someone actually hates peanut butter cookies, unless, of course he or she is allegic to nuts.

This comment is going nowhere really fast isn't it?

8:59 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I need to add that I absolutely believe in using the word "love" to apply to all the many kinds of love there are, many of which often outlast romantic love.

I was making the distinction in terms of kissing people on the mouth.

1:22 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

calvin klein outlet
yeezys
nike epic react
supreme clothing
louboutin
yeezy boost 700
off white
yeezy
chrome hearts online store
converse

4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home