Sunday, March 08, 2009

To die, to sleep, to sleep perchance to dream ...

I found this meme at Chani’s thought-filled blog (if you are not a regular reader of hers, then you must give it a try) and since she invited anybody who wanted to take part to indeed take part, I decided to do so.



It’s all about sleep and some of its realities for us as individuals. Here are my thoughts on Zs bagging.



1) How do you sleep at night? Is your sleep affected by the national angst? Do you drop off easily, as you always did? Or does it take a while to get to sleep?



I recite in my mind the Serenity Prayer. ‘Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.” And then, after reading for a time, my eyelids get heavy and usually I nod off to sleep quite quickly. Sometimes I’m feeling more hypersensitive and am impacted by any noise or movement by Wendy. Then I get keyed up. Simple solution, since there are only two of us in the house, is to depart for the other bedroom, which has a beautiful brass bed (headboard and footboard are brass, not the bed itself because that would be very uncomfortable) and a fine duvet, and I usually then go to sleep quickly. As for the national (international) angst, of course it makes me anxious and I feel greatly for those who have been displaced, but I can do nothing about it other than ride it out and accept the fact that a big chunk of my retirement investments have been royally screwed up the backside. C’est la vie. At least we still have our home.



2) What strategies, if needed, do you use to get to sleep?



I read. I must read. Usually non-fiction. Often true crime a la Ann Rule or her ilk. I used to love forensics and detection and the meting out of justice when I did cop work by handling the police beat at my paper. Sometimes we watch TV for a half hour or so before turning to our respective books. To be candid, I used to like lovemaking. No, I still really like lovemaking, but not just before lights out time. The adrenalin rush is not conducive to sleep.



3) Do you wake up in the middle of the night, plagued by obsessive thoughts?



At one time I did quite significantly. I also suffered from bedtime insomnia. Quite frankly I found that cutting out alcohol enabled me to get to sleep more easily and sleep through the night. But sometimes, if I wake up at say 3 a.m. and need to pee I can then have a very difficult time getting back to sleep as daytime thoughts intrude and all my insecurities come to the fore. Indeed, many mornings I end up wandering around the house at 3:30 wondering if it’s too early to put coffee on.



4) What strategies do you have to get back to sleep?



I try to clear my mind. I change rooms. If I go to the other room I sometimes turn on the light and read for a while. If nothing works, I just get up. No point in lying there and getting more fretful. Anyway, an advantage of working from home is that I can always nap in the afternoon.



5) Are your dreams affected? Are they more anxious than before? Do they wake you up in a sweat? Or are they peaceful, innocent, undisturbed by the general malaise?



Not really. I have good dreams for the most part. Sometimes adventurous. I do a lot of traveling in my dreams. Sometimes they’re sexy and I have had amazing encounters with people with whom I have never had such encounters. Sometimes they are nostalgic and will include people like former wives, lovers or friends. Sometimes I am extremely sorry when I awaken to find that the dream was not true. I used to have a lot of such dreams about my stepdaughter in which we were reunited in a warm and loving way. Those aren’t happening as much now. I never really analyze my dreams or discuss them with others. Mainly my dream life is an escape from reality. I like that about the process.



So how are you doing? Tell me your experience. As was the case with Chani, I am not going to tag anybody with this, but would be delighted to read your tale. If you decide to do it, please let me know so I can read your responses.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger French Fancy... said...

Well, Ian, this was a glimpse into your night time world that was fascinating. I'm going to be monitoring the comments carefully to see if I can get some good tips for dropping off again when I -also - wake up at 3am. Why is it always 3am?

12:03 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Dear FF. It's the bleak 3 a.m of a person's soul -- to paraphrase F. Scott Fitzgerald.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

1) It takes a while for me to get to sleep. Always has. I notice that if I read the news or watch the TV about dramatic or traumatic issues, my sleep is more restless.

2) I have a sound machine that swishes softly. Almost beachlike. I've used it so often now that I can't sleep without the damn thing. Soft, clean sheets are a must. And I love to read in bed before snoozetime too.

3) No obsessive thoughts for me. Actually, mother nature bladder issues pull me from dreamland.

4) Sometimes I can't get back to sleep so reading usually does the trick. I keep a big book on neurochemistry near the bed. I sometimes change rooms too, especially if hubby is snoring.


5) I have vivid dreams all the time. They seem to change in content with how I am feeling rather than sleeplessness.

6:25 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Aha! Another Ann Rule fan! There are many of us out here.. but have you noticed that people rarely admit it? :)



~*

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting answers. I have been seeing htis meme everywhere. I have it kind of stored away for the next bout of insomnia!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I am a good sleeper, coffee doesn't keep me awake at night, and my eyes automatically shut if I try to read in bed.I just watch TV and catch up on the news at night.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

I've been suffering from insomnia a fair bit recently. I have a bad habit of watching 24 hour news almost all the time and watching my dwindling funds disappear down a dark hole. I've stopped doing that the last few days, don't blog too much right now, knit a lot and go for walks. Oh yes, I also take a couple of melatonin and earplugs which helps, if not hubby gets kicked to the next room...ciao

6:06 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Now that we are retired it never bothers me if I can't sleep at night. It did when I had to get up & work all day, & drive the car as well.

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home