Friday, February 20, 2009

See the pyramids along the Nile, see the sunrise on a tropic isle

I have a birthday coming up. Tomorrow, if memory serves. Can never be too sure these days. Just checked. Yep, I’m right. Tomorrow is the 21st. so please feel free to wish me Happy Birthday. I also want cake and ice cream and lots of hugs and kisses and large denomination crisp bills. OK?

I am being silly about my birthday because it is my little way of avoiding lapsing into profound depression at the unspeakable passage of time, or paroxysms of screaming-meemies hysteria at exactly the same thing.

But, I just read something that made me feel better. For years now I’ve been suffering from the realization that the incessant foreshortening of time is invariably going to preclude me attaining what I want in the days I have left. In that, I hope they are many, but ‘one never do know, do one?’ as the inimitable Fats Waller once said. In his case he only made it to 39, so I have a few years up on him. On the other hand he wrote and performed ‘Ain’t Misbehavin’ and that is accomplishment in life enough for any 10 people.

But, I digress. Last year there was a film called The Bucket List in which a couple of old farts, Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, who knew they were dying attempted to get in whatever they had not yet done before they kicked the proverbial.

What they did involved all sorts of activities, some tasteful and some distasteful and considerable travel, too. Their quest was to fit it all in.

Now it is understandable to people past a certain age that youth is truly wasted on the young, and that if I were magically transformed to my misspent youth for another try, there are things I would have done differently. What might have been different were I operating from what limited wisdom I have acquired?

- I wouldn’t have married until I was at least 35.
- I wouldn’t have allowed myself to get stuck in a career that was ill-suited.
- I likely would have had children.
- I would have traveled, traveled and traveled some more.
- I would have pushed my creative endeavors to the hilt.
- And (perhaps this is the most important one of all) I wouldn’t have been afraid to do any of those things.

I had coffee yesterday with a young female friend with whom I have a slight mentor role. She is smart, pretty, ambitious and has the world at her fingertips at age 25. My basic message to her was, go for the gusto, girl, and don’t be afraid to do so. Don’t be limited by convention or the expectations of others. Be your own person and your life will be blessed. She agreed fully; verbally at least. I do hope she acts accordingly.

Back to the article I read that gave me a certain peace-of-mind. What it suggests is, ‘bucket list’ notwithstanding, a body cannot do it all. The writer said that he realized that he would never make it to Japan, for example. “Japan has gotten along fine without my presence for hundreds of years, and I think it will have to continue to do so.” He said he felt likewise about Egypt and Morocco, despite having in the past thought he would like to go to those places. So would I. But what he said was that when he came to that realization that he could not visit every place on his list, he felt “a great liberation.” He was free. Free of guilt and free of a sense of obligation to do it ‘all’.

I think his point is well taken. I asked myself if there is any place ‘new’ I would go to in preference to places I would rather re-visit, and the answer is ‘no’. Not an unqualified no, but a no after due consideration and qualification.

So, I would rather go back to England and Ireland, France and Italy, Belgium and Holland rather than go to Spain, Portugal or Scandinavia, and assorted other European spots that I either haven’t been to, or have no desire to revisit. I would always go back to Kauai because it’s a kind of spiritual home for me. I love the desert southwest of the US and would go back there again. San Diego is always on a ‘must’ list as is the Oregon coast.

But, I have never been to Asia, Africa or Down Under (except for the Cook Islands, which I adored and would go back to), and I just might not make it this time around. That’s OK. I can handle it. Thus far my life has been a good adventure and I hope it continues to be for some time to come.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger SSQuo said...

Happy Birthday!!! HOpe you have a wonderful day. It's never too late to do the things you want to do, and the things you CAN still do.

I like your advice. You have to do what you want. Whenever I am faced with fear, I think 'its ONE life' - if I don't do it now when will I?

2:10 PM  
Blogger Suzy said...

I come armed with cake and drink and pressy .....Happy Birthday to You!!!

Looking back on my life I have very few regrets and my future? Well I am trying to achieve the real wants on my 'bucket list'. Loved the post.

3:04 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Happy Birthday young man (and, may I add, I've noticed what a huge fan you are of personal lists!).

7:31 PM  
Blogger French Fancy... said...

Happy Birthday Ian. It's mine in ten days and I am going through the same sort of feelings. I'm going to be 51 which is quite a funny looking number. Not as neat as 50 or 55.

My regrets are all to do with wishing I'd not done certain things as opposed to wishing I'd done others.

I still get quite childlike and excited about my birthday though - I think I always will.

Anyway I hope you are spending today doing self-indulgent things that bring you pleasure

3:00 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

Many Happy Returns Ian!
I don't have a Bucket list really. Though there are many things I would still love to do.

3:06 AM  
Blogger Vic said...

Happy Birthday, Ian!

I wonder if you would do things differently if you were magically transformed back to a younger age? The perspective from early years (without the spectre of imminent obliteration)surely modifies thoughts of going for gusto and living life as if it were finite? And the alternative, of being an old guy in a young body and amongst young people, would be quite depressing (how many "friends" could you have amongst peers?)

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that for the most part, no one can learn from someone else's mistakes. When you are younger, the word just looks different. And besides, hindsight is so much clearer. BUT, one of the beautie sof aging is allowing yourslef to acknowledge that tehre are things you will never do and just let them go. I no longer feel like there are books I MUST read, places I MUST see, and so on. I'll just do what I do, find adventure as it comes to me. That's not so bad.

ANd a very lovely Birthday to you, dear friend.

8:50 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

yappy barfday, ian... i know, you no longer imbibe, but at least you can have a virtual single malt :D

1:08 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOYOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR IAN
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!!!!

On my birthday I always do what I want. It always involves some sort of exercise. Usually the gym, roller blading, running. You get the idea.
This year was my 50th. The gym, the beach (naked) with a very good friend then out to dinner with my kids at my favorite restaurant, not theirs.
When we got home it was a home made birthday cake of my choice. I do believe birthdays are special. It's our one day of the year that really matters to us. So do something you want all day and enjoy yourself.

Happy Birthday!

3:08 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Happy Birthday Ian. I hope it was a good one (it's after midnight now, so it's over).

It's true, we can never do it all or have it all, but many have never been anywhere at all, so relish that you have travelled as much as you have.

Just go where you want and if it happens to be somewhere you have been before then if you enjoy it, what does it matter? You can always check out those other places on TV or with a DVD.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

Oh my goodness! HAPPY BIRTHDAY IAN! I am so glad I didn't miss it. What kind of cake do you like? I love birthday cake myself so I try not to eat it all for ya.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Sugar. said...

Happy birthday Ian. Hope you had a wonderful day!

2:06 PM  
Blogger VioletSky said...

Happy Birthday to YOU (belated).

A card with unmarked orange-y coloured notes is in the mail.

(you can return them to me in three weeks)

4:04 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Happy Birthday Ian!!! Unfortunately cyber hugs are all i can manage, but I'm sending them all your way.

I'd also give you those crisp high denomination bills, but damned if they aren't all decidedly uncrisp. Sorry.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday weekend. I really like your advice.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

Happy birthday! A bit late, but I don't surf on the weekend. Happy belated b-day. My post today is a gift for you.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Asphodel said...

Happy belated birthday to you

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home