Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Modest proposal to end a violent crime wave

My city of origin, Vancouver, has become a bloodbath lately. Needless to say this is not the sort of news to cause a swelling of civic pride or to delight the chamber of commerce. In the last two weeks literally not a day has gone by without somebody being mowed down by one of the filthy drug gangs that has been festering in the place in the last few years. Drug gangs that are thriving thanks to inadequate policing and pathetic courts handing out lame-ass sentences for evil people.

Two days ago a young mother with her four-year-old son in the back seat was ‘executed’ at a stoplight. Needless to say, as tragic as it was, and despite the fact the kid will be traumatized for the rest of his life, Mom was ‘connected.’ You ain’t driving a big pearly-white Caddy in your early 20s unless you are connected. ‘Live by the sword, die by the sword, etc.’ I mean, it’s sad, but come on.

For some reason best known to them, governments at all levels don’t seem to be rising to the occasion. Oh yes, they are “decrying” violence, but they are doing effectively nothing to address the situation in any tangible way. Why is this? Do we wait until we become Mexico before we get off our sorry asses and do something?

Well, it has been suggested that maybe it’s a waiting game. If we let these bastards keep wasting one another then eventually they’ll all be gone. It’s a nice idea, but doesn’t work. Didn’t happen in Chicago in the ‘20s and ‘30s and won’t happen in Vancouver in the latter part of the first decade of the 21st Century. I mean, I like the idea of gangsters killing gangsters. At least it gets rid of some of them, and we can’t count on the courts to do it. We know that.

What will really work is for us to actually countenance the idea of getting tough. And to get tough we have to accept that gangsters are another order of creation and should not have the same civil rights as the rest of them.

Here’s my modest proposal:
- deny bail for anyone changed with a gun crime. You’re packing heat, even if you’re not firing it and haven’t been so convicted, you don’t get bail.
- If you are convicted of a gun crime you automatically get a dime. That’s right, 10-years for a fist offence, and that is even if nobody died.
- If you take a life in a gun crime you get life – full life – no hope of parole, ever, regardless of what sort of a model prisoner you might be, regardless of how many jailhouse programs you take. You are going away for keeps.

Of course we could always bring back capital punishment for such transgressors. But if you suggest that you get everybody’s knickers in a twist. It has been said that capital punishment is no deterrent to crime, and that is probably true. On the other hand, it does effectively get rid of some pretty awful elements in society.

But, and it’s a big one, what if you hang the wrong guy (or girl, we’re equal opportunity in our punishments)? It has happened and it could happen again.

Anyway, if we brought back the ‘long drop’ I don’t think we would be imaginative enough in our categorization of which crimes and individuals warranted summary execution. In the early part of the 19th Century there were more than 50 crimes that could lead to an appointment with the rope. Over the years the rules were tightened up and eventually, for those jurisdictions that have retained it, only murder (and sometimes treason) remain.

In my esteem this is not sufficient.

Sometimes if I’m feeling piqued I’d like to see the following follow the ‘dead man walking’ parade:
- investment fraudsters
- Ponzi scheme perps
- A whole lotta banking execs
- Reps of the petroleum companies who deny there is gouging or price-fixing (an act of penance could save them from the gibbet if they promise to stop lying to the consuming public)
- Airport security brownshirts

And if I’m really feeling cranky I might consider the fact the world would be better off without:
- Drivers who don’t activate turn indicators until they are actually in the turn.
- Drivers who lollygag when the light has turned green and I am behind them.
- People who take phone calls and chat with the person on the other end when I am in their office.
- Neighboring homeowners who operate chainsaws on a sunny Sunday afternoon when I am on my patio.
- Parents that let children run wild in stores or coffee joints.
- Store clerks that are more interested in chatting live or on the phone with their friends than they are in serving me.

Oh, there are more. Many more, but I’m feeling in a good mood today so shall refrain from extending further.




Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Rositta said...

Ian I agree with you, keep em in jail until trial and if convicted lock em up for a long long time. Unfortunately though, there is a "hug a thug" mentality in this country that will be hard to overcome. Toronto has had a lot of gun crime of late and our Mayor's solution to the problem, ban guns in Toronto and shut down legitimate gun clubs, go figure...ciao

7:32 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

Interesting proposals. I'm sorry to hear about the increased gun violence.

As for locking up everyone convicted of carrying a weapon - research in the U.S. has shown that the worst offenders, such as gang members or those who traffic drugs, often put a low value on their own lives. They live for the moment. In those cases, I don't think a dime will do much good.

For-profit prisons are big business in the U.S. Many states have legislated capital punishment. Still, the rate of homicides typically has not decreased.

I hope you'll prove me wrong. Vancouver deserves better.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Harsher sentences. No argument. I'd also like to see the average joe taking alittle responsibility. I have no moral objection to MJ in itself. I think alcohol is probably more destructive. But when you buy a little weed, you put dollars in the pockets of criminals. Plain and simple. Let's not forget that it was getting around prohibition that made Capone so rich.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

My addition to your list: neighbors who stare at you over the privacy/"good neighbor" fence, particularly from distances <= 18" while you're wielding a shovel or pickax. Death might be a bit harsh, but how about a nice plague-like case of boils or seven years of hemorrhoids?

11:41 PM  
Blogger French Fancy... said...

I don't think it's just Vancouver - every time I watch UK news there seems to be an increase in mindless gun or knife crimes.I think it's too big a problem now for the authorities to know how to handle it. Some kids just want to belong to gangs and gangs hate other gangs and want them dead. How on earth do you fight that mindset?

2:02 AM  
Blogger Vic said...

To add to your list: People who design the voice response systems that have taken the place of humans. My "favourite" is Telus - I always manage to get mad at the automated sickly sweet voice that is not programmed to understand English "I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you requested - returning you to the main menu" even though I know it sends me to auto-response hell.

2:44 AM  
Blogger Lulu LaBonne said...

I'd like to add to the death list:
People who eat all the cake before I get there

4:37 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

My! Aren't we grumpy today! And I luvs me a grumpy Ian.

The governments will always favour letting the scum take itself out, simply because it's so much easier for them that way. They just get to sit back and do nothing - as usual. So what if a civilian or two get caught in the crossfire.

And when they do put 'em away, keeping them away too long costs too much, so they put 'em back on the streets and... well, see above paragraph.

As for this: Store clerks that are more interested in chatting ... with their friends than they are in serving me, I saw "servicing" me. So.. Dude! I'm all like huh? And then I'm all like, whatevs... (that would be my impression the chatting teen clerk seeing "servicing").

Don't ask. It's one of those days.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

- Drivers who don’t activate turn indicators until they are actually in the turn.

A hanging offense IMHO.

And people who don't look before they cross the street could bring new meaning to 'survival of the fittest'.
http://www.lesliehawes.com/wordpress/?p=1143

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm absolutely in favor of strict gun control laws, including outlawing assault weapons entirely. I am also in favor of stiff penelaties for crimes involving a gun whether or not anyone gets hurt. I am 100% opposed to the death penlaty in any situaiton - I don't think state supported murder is the answer. As a society, we cannot resort to barbaric behavior to stop barbarism.

4:20 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

I want to add one to your list.

People who talk on their cell phones and cut me off or almost mow me down while I am on my motorcycle. Even though I am on my bike doesn't mean the laws of physics don't apply.

4:11 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

Add to that list 'customer service' personell who look at you as if you are an insect, if you dare to try to interrupt their scintillating conversation with their counter mate, re their weekend/late night plans.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home