Friday, February 27, 2009

Maybe we should go back to calling it 'rasslin'


I find the idea of wrestling as an entertainment (or activity) completely repulsive. The idea of being up that close and personal with another male’s sweaty armpit turns my stomach. The fact that he would be perpetrating personal mayhem on my while my nose was stuck in his pit, or someplace even more repulsive really does make my gorge rise.

Maybe I could wrestle a girl? I have wrestled girls, in fact. But that was when both had an entirely other objective in mind. Enough smut. Let’s move back to the whole wrestling thing.

I have never been a fan of wrestling. I think it’s all fakery and despite arguments to the contrary its defenders’ll never convince I I’ll never be convinced it’s anything but a sham sport. Indeed, as a sport, I would put professional wrestling on a par with roller derby. Entertaining in its way, but still just an entertainment.

That is why professional wrestling has superseded real wrestling. If you were to watch true wrestling of the sort they do at the Olympics you would be comatose with boredom in short order. It’s all about assorted holds, and nothing much more. There is no yelling of epithets, no challenges to the spectators, no garish costumes. Just holds.

I used to watch wrestling when I was about 12, when we first got TV. We knew it was fake even then, but we were 12 and we found it a hoot. This was in the glory days of Gorgeous George with his peignoirs and blonde ringlets. There was also Mr. Moto, who was a Japanese guy who really played dirty pool in the ring. The war was still within living memory of the adult audience, so the rotten little (you’ll pardon the expression) ‘Jap’ was fair game as a villain.

Then there were also the midgets. They weren’t called ‘Little Persons’ wrestlers, just midgets. They were fun. And sometimes, just to confuse us, the lady wrestlers would come out. That was a whole different thing, and we found ourselves diverted, to say the least. But, as I said, we were 12. And 12 back then was 12, not something ‘going-on-25’. We knew nothing.

So, the movie The Wrestler was a big thing at the Oscars this year. I’m happy for Mickey Rourke. I used to like him as an actor in conventional vehicles like Diner, long before he went, shall we say ‘eccentric’. Then something happened to him and happened to his pretty, rather feminine (back in the old days) face. I don’t know what, but he looks entirely different. I don’t follow this stuff so closely so I can tell you no more than that.

Anyway, evidently he excelled in The Wrestler, and I am happy that he seems to be getting his career back on track, although I gather from my Perez Hilton that he is still a trifle on the bizarre side at all levels.

And that’s about all I have to say about wrestling.



Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Warty Mammal said...

Evidently I'm more out of touch than you. I thought it was still called 'rasslin.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Queen fLee said...

I'm a fan of Mickey Rourke as well and am excited to see The Wrestler when I have a chance.

His face looks different because he was a boxer in the '90s and had facial surgery to correct the damage. He also has brain damage which may explain his strange behavioral change.(IMDB)

Another thing you might want to do some quick research on is that modern women's roller derby is a real sport. There is a governing body called the WFTDA (Women's Flat track Derby Assoc), with tourneys, rankings stats, etc. They require leagues and skaters to abide by specific rules, one of them being "no fighting" and other spectacle-like behaviors. These women are real athletes.

Read this: Roller Derby Not a Sport?

And then drive to a Canadian Derby bout....then tell us if you still think it's on par with pro wrestling.

Peace and Derby,

-fLee
DerbyGirl.Org

8:27 PM  
Blogger French Fancy... said...

Thanks DerbyGirl for the explanation of why Rourke looks so unusual these days. I did wonder - but not enough to Google it.

I hate wrestling, boxing - anything like that.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I hate wrestling ...with a passion. :)

4:50 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

I am thrilled that Mickey Rourke is back. In my family, the love for this 'rasslin began with my grandfather, who passed it on to my brothers and young sons (to my consternation). Dad has never been impressed.

I share your repulsiveness about wrestling, and I'm amazed at the following "WWE Raw" has on TV.

8:31 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

I can't handle watching any kind of fighting. No boxing, wrestling, extreme fighting. They now have extreme fighting on regular tv down here. I am not impressed. We are now letting little kids know it's ok to beat the crap out of anyone they want.

So I am with you on this topic. As for Mickey Roarke. I am glad he seems to be back into acting. But doesn't he make enough to hire a personal shopper, dresser , hair dresser. Something. He looks seriously greesy and unkept. Yuck.

Have an awesome day.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrestling is appalling. So violent. I don't care if it is fake, it's still disgustingly aggressive.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Even my 22 year old son finds WWF repulsive. Nuff said!
V.

8:10 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I hate most sport, so I don't qualify to comment.
I remember Mickey in his best role ever- Barfly. Wrester was just the same but in a different costume.

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home