Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I guess the beat still does go on

In the Palm Springs air terminal there is a commemorative bust of one Salvatore Bono. That’s kind of nice. Sonny Bono was, of course, mayor of that lovely desert town for a while, then he went on to be a congressman. While his DC gig was was still in place he, sadly, lost an argument with a tree when he was out skiing.

I’m put in mind of this because a friend just took off today for Vegas.

“I’m not much for gambling,” she told me. “But, Cher’s performing and I’d like to see that.”

She probably wasn’t born in 1965 when Sonny and Cher’s signature song, I Got You Babe was a huge hit.

“How were Sonny and Cher?” I asked university commuting passenger one Monday morning in about 1966. She had just been to see them in concert in Vancouver that weekend.

“They were OK,” she replied. “But who I really liked was their opening act; two young guys named Simon and Garfunkel. They were really good.”

So, I was thinking about I Got You Babe and what a silly little song it was and who would have thought it would have become some sort of vintage offering that a person would still be hearing 44 years after S&C brought it into the world.

I think part of it is, it’s a likeable song. It makes no demands either musically or philosophically. Kind of in the realm of the Beatles’ All You Need is Love. Silly throwaways both but they evoke a kind of youthful enthusiasm. Compare them with the netherworld junkie realm of the Velvet Underground’s Sister Ray, or the Doors’ Light My Fire.

I Got You Babe
is a 'ditty', pure and simple. A ditty performed by a couple of sweet kids at the time who were nutso in love with each other. That put me back in thoughts of the Sonny memorial at Palm Springs. For a kind of goofy little guy the man did well, and served both his town and ultimately his country well. And that’s a good thing. And Cher, well Cher has always been Cher in all her incarnations and God love her for that. Glad my friend is going to see her. If I were in Vegas, I’d go too.

On an entirely un-Sonny and Cher-ish
matter, the lovely Vivavoom accorded me this award and I am flattered and humbled to be held in such regard. Very thoughtful of a very thoughtful lady in all her Wonder Woman-ness. Thank you.

The Lemonade Award is for sites, which show great attitude and/or gratitude!

Rules for the award:

1. Put the logo on your blog or post.

2. Nominate at least 10 blogs, which show great Attitude and/or Gratitude!

3. Be sure to link to your nominees within your post.

4. Let them know that they have received this award by commenting on their blog.

5. Nominate your favorites and link to this post.

I need to nominate the blogs I find deserving of the lemonade award. But, this is a random choice because there are many others.

Here they are...in no particular order:
1. Jazz
2. Geewits
3. Get Off My Lawn
4. Deborah Sistrunk
5. Andrea
6. Leesa (told you I’d get you next time)
7. Leslie
8. Daisy
9. CS
10. Merely Me

I hate choosing names for awards because right now I could easily find 10 more and another 10 after that, and so on. So, if I didn’t choose you this time, I will next time around.




Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Warty Mammal said...

Holy cow. They're both practically children in that photo!

1:19 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I loved I Got You Babe. Although I did not hear it when it first came out, I have vague recollections of their variety show in the 70s. Or did I dream that? And I remember the Jackson Five as well, before the single careers and wardrobe malfunctions.

1:26 PM  
Blogger vivavavoom said...

Sonny and Cher hold a special place in my heart because it is the first record (yes LP) I remember as a kid that I played over and over. It was the one with them in a green house. They had on jeans with all these bedazzling beads and jewels on them. But the song I loved the most was 'The Beat Goes On'. I didn't agree with Sonny's politics, didn't like all of Cher's music (hello Peter Cetera/bagel boy dating era) but that girl has staying power and a good plastic surgeon so more power to her.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

1. I love I Got You Babe!

2. Thanks so much for the award. How sweet of you! I will be happy to nominate other blogs and link back to you.

2:45 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

You're a prince, Ian, maybe in the mold of Sonny Bono? But I'm probably a cad as I know myself to have the best of intentions and the worst of follow through. I want to follow through, though, just to give your blog a nod! (Don't hold your breath, though...)

3:34 PM  
Blogger Wenderina said...

I'll go you one further...more than a ditty, it's become a jingle! And it got new exposure in the Groundhog Day movie a few years ago too. New life for a light-hearted sound.

Remember the vamp/tramp song? That really takes me back.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks!!

Boy, they look so young and Cher is far better looking pre-surgeries in my opinion. I remember watching the Sonny and Cher show as a little kid. But it must not have been in 1965, because I would only have been 3 then.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Cher is Queen of the Damned. Her gaze petrifies, milk curdles in the breast at the passing of her shadow. You just wait. She'll be recording songs in three hundred years, trying to convince everyone that its healthy living and surgery. Like I believe that. Vampire!

Thank you for this award. I hope I didn't shatter the attitude thing with this comment.

6:23 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Congrats on the award.
Oh, it makes me feel old to realise I have seen the rising stars of Sonny & Cher from their humble beginnings.

7:57 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Congratulations on another award!

Cher is one of those people who has become a caricature of herself, yet there is still something affecting about her.

Now if Jim Morrison would come back from the dead, I might consider going to Vegas.

9:18 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Thanks for the award. When I was a kid, we always watched the C&S show. I think my Dad (who controlled what we watched) liked the "outfits." Just like he liked Barbara Eden's outfit.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Thank you Ian, how exciting, I love lemonade.I do love Sonny and Cher too, I loved I Got You Babe, I used to sing it with my brother on karaoke!! Those were the days...

12:50 AM  
Blogger French Fancy... said...

Cher looked older when she was young and natural than she does now - well, in a dim light. I also would go and see her if she was appearing at a show in the French countryside - yes, like that would ever happen.

Talking of Las Vegas I know lots of people think it's cheesy but I loved the place when I was there about 12 years ago. claim to fame - Siegfried spoke to me during their act.

1:39 AM  
Blogger sally in norfolk said...

Ive not visited for a while so have enjoyed catching up with your blog posts :-)

9:14 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

Great.... guess what song is in my head now....

9:31 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

Ian, I went ahead and completed the meme/tag today. I did not follow the rules. Guess it is my 'tude.

4:24 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I dislike choosing names too as they are so many blogs I enjoy.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home