Monday, March 02, 2009

Extra! Maybe you won't be able to read all about it

"All I know is what I read in the papers."
- Humorist Will Rogers

I can go on line and tap into any newspaper anywhere in the world. That is a wonderful thing. If I want to know the local spin on what is happening in London, New York, Paris or Tel Aviv, then I can be there in a trice.

The technology of access today is a marvel. It’s also increasingly exponentially and an almost terrifying pace. It’s excellent at all levels.

Except the consumer one. Especially for a consumer past a certain age who is steeped in habits that while they may seem antediluvian to techno-trendies, nevertheless constitute the person I am.

I mention this because I am aghast at what is happening to newspapers all over this continent and elsewhere in the world. The forces of ‘evil’, both technology and the marketplace, are killing them. This has nothing to do with not being moderately current with what there is, but I’m having difficulty with the idea of the printed journalistic page being relegated to some sort of fashion-dictated rubbish bin.

There are many factors leading to the demise of newspapers, including high production costs, newsprint costs (which are massive), levels of pay, union-dictated featherbedding of employees who should be redundant, loss of advertising revenue to television and the Internet, and loss of readership.

In the last while a number of papers have folded in the US and Canada and I couldn’t begin to list them all, but the 150-year-old Rocky Mountain News out of Denver is publishing its last issue on Friday, the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, nearly as old, packed it in last spring, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer is on its last legs and under serious threat are the Hartford Courant, the Baltimore Sun, the New York Times and the Los Angeles Times. In Canada Canwest News Services, which publishes dailies in Vancouver, Victoria, Edmonton, Calgary and a few other spots is gazillions in debt with little hope of rising from the burden.

At the end of it all, maybe I am a relic of an earlier era. To me my news must come from the journals I browse every morning and night. I want ink on my fingers and I want to read stories at my leisure, in my living room, with a cup of coffee. I don’t want to read news stories of my computer at my fucking desk. I mean, I call up papers for research or information, but not for leisurely perusal. That is a different process.

And, I am old-fashioned in that regard and I resent the fact that a post-literate generation – products of hi-tech, crappy schools with diminished standards and stunningly ill-informed teachers – should be dictating change in society. Do I overstate? Probably. But, it’s my blog and I can do that. I can also say snarky things about teachers, since I used to be one and I know that I am not maligning good teachers, and there are such pedagogues, blessedly.

Yet, how many homes today get a daily paper? I will suggest a fraction of those that did 20, 30 or 50 years ago. And, the kids out of J-school, what are their journalistic aspirations? Television or some aspect of the electronic media. How many kids want to do newspaper work? Not much calling for ink-stained wretches nowadays. I grieve for that.

While not exactly in my dotage, I began my journalist career with a manual typewriter and turned out copy that would actually be proofread by people who knew how to string two words together. IN the papers of yore, not only were the scribes literate, everybody in the place was in pre-spellcheck days. That archaic process was only in the late 1970s, and it continued until the late 1980s, when we go our first archaic and unreliable word processors.

Anyway, cannot stand in the way of ‘progress’. I don’t even want to. Have all your hi-tech stuff, and I indeed have mine and wouldn’t be without it, but I wish you’d had the decency to leave me my newspapers.


Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger Leesa said...

Two years from now, let's see how many papers fold because they can't get ad revenue. This recession will take its toll.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I love the blog world, I mostly don't liek to read on the computer. I like my books, newspapers and magazines in my lap where I can flip through them in a comfy chair.

5:56 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

We also take the paper every day (Fort Worth Star-Telegram) and I check in on the Durham, North Carolina paper online to get the best stories on my team (Duke). While there, I also peruse the obits for some reason and often see relatives of people I went to school with. I love my newspaper and hope it never goes away. Then we'd be left with the Dallas Morning News which bites.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

If only some papers could avoid becoming rags. The Sun is 90% advertisement. I can read everything interesting in it in about five minutes. The rest is fluff. I guess you have to have large ad revenue in order to keep up these days.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

I've been a newspaper journalist most of my life. I started on manual typewriter too.

I love newspapers and always buy the local one when I travel or I am on holiday.

But these past few years my desire to buy newspapers has diminished tremendously. Like you, I read what I need online (Telegraph, Guardian, New York Times etc). The pleasure, though, of reading the printed edition has been eroded hugely by the poor quality of the content and the writing.

So much time is now devoted to the online edition that the printed elder statesman is being poorly served. The managements want to get rid of the costly paper editions and rake in the money from an online version, manned by a much smaller staff.

Let's get rid of sub-editors! they cry, and so it will be done (is starting to be done). The typos abound online but who cares?

Managements think "why pay for reporters when we can use input from bloggers?" It's free. But bloggers are not journalists and writing what we do from the top of our heads isn't news gathering or investigative journalism.

Who will probe into the murky goings-on of corrupt politicians and money-grabbing criminal bankers? Already we see journalists have been blocked here, there and everywhere from investigating wrong-doing. It suits governments just fine if there are fewer real journalists around...

... Enough. Sorry, I've ranted on here but journalists such as you and me know the harm that is being done to our everyday freedoms.

I feel sorry for younger journalists coming into the profession - they won't know just how much fun we used to have in the "old days"! And we were paid handsomely too.

P.S. You might enjoy this website where former Fleet Street and provincial journalists reminisce about the old times:

http://www.gentlemenranters.com/

2:36 AM  
Blogger lady macleod said...

I am, as usual, in agreement with you on this one - but my reasons are a bit different - every time I hear of a major newspaper closing and leaving a large city (Houston, Texas for one) with only one paper, only one viewpoint - I cringe. I am of the firm opinion that no matter how biased the news (and they are, that's why you need both sides) or how annoying they can be ( I mean really, Spears and Paris HIlton get more press than the president of any country) we NEED them for a free society. I believe a free press is essential.

And even though we have online news (and as a person often in a foreign country without English newspapers for long periods I love them) it is not the same - it is not in your face, on the street, in your driveway accessibility. So I mourn the loss of the daily news anywhere.

EVen though I am a mostly online girl during the week - how can I live without the Sunday Times (New York or London depending on which side of the pond I'm on)? That tactile experience is not one I want to live without.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Where will I get my comics if there are no newspapers?

6:57 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Nothing will ever replace a Sunday paper.. no matter how much they try.



~*

9:46 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Radio was shaking scared when TV came along, and it has survived with some revisions. Now with the internet, I think that news and magazines will go through a similar trend. I don;t think they'll be gone for good. I just can't imagine not having a paper or magazine to hold in my hand or curl into my handbag for later reading.

12:20 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

I'm sorry your newspapers are disappearing.
I remember working as a bank teller years ago (20) and the local paper had problems with money to pay their employees then.. It was a great local paper.

I am one that reads everything on line. TV news is the Today show in the mornings.

Tonight I am off to see Motley Crew with a friend of mine from the gym. Should be a blast.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

For the past year, I've been receiving such depressing news about newspapers in trouble or going under. Loads and loads of layoffs of veteran staffers.

I used to think that I had to have a newspaper in my hands. Now I have no newspaper subscriptions. I read everything online.

I think it's interesting that newspapers have gotten into producing videos. I spoke about the videos with one friend who works for a daily. His language was not not family friendly, so I can't repeat it here. In essence,he said that newspapers are not TV. :-)

12:13 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I sadly agree.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Pearl said...

As a former paperboy, a voracious reader of print, and generally suspicious person, the demise of the newspaper worries me on a number of levels. The more streams of information that we have, the better; and I am concerned that some day there will be but one source of "news".
Pearl

8:00 AM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Ian, I'm not with you on this one. I almost never read a paper anymore. I get my news from CBC radio, and by the time it shows up in the paper, it's old news to me. For in-depth articles I love my weekly McLeans magazine though. So I am not saving very many trees. But the death of newspapers may mean more trees stay standing, and I'm all for that.
V.

9:06 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

My favourite radio show (CBC's Q with jian Ghomeshi) discussed this very topic yesterday. It does seem kind of a shame that the era of the broadsheet is disappearing.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Parisgirl said...

Like Dumdad I've been a journalist most of my working life and like both of you I started a manual typewriter and carbon paper for the extra copies of any story needed for the newsdesk, the subs, the editor et al. (Don't spread that around, it's a big of an age giveaway!)

As Dumdad says many of the newspapers are their own worst enemy, cutting staff, reproducing agency copy without checking, doing away with sub-editors, chaining reporters to their desks instead of allowing them to go out and get stories...and on it goes. It's common for journalists to think only they had the good times and now they're gone, but in this case it is true.

I would just take issue with your comment on "union-dictated featherbedding". In the UK this ended many years ago with the arrival of Mr Murdoch.

5:51 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I still love newspapers, too, and am saddened by their demise.

On the other hand, it will save a lot of trees, which contribute so much to making our environment habitable.

It seems that the loss of a Sunday paper, particularly, is just more evidence of a kind of grace which has left the world. Few people allow themselves the leisure to read anything made of paper anymore, and for me, a tactile pleasure is missing when I am forced to read the news online.

We are losing so much these days that we once took for granted. It never occurred to me that there would ever not be newspapers.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

There's something wonderful about the "dead tree" versions of newspapers. We've been seeing the local one, which used to be quite respectable, get thinner and thinner and thinner, and including more tabloidesque articles written by the likes of high school students. My husband claims that with the likes of Craigslist, classified sections are obsolete, thus depriving papers of a chunk of revenue. He may have something there.

6:31 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

nike cortez men
kyrie 4 shoes
nike air max 2019
russell westbrook shoes
yeezy supply
kobe 11
balenciaga shoes
vans outlet
golden goose
converse outlet store

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home