Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Particular celluloid pleasures

As I was so elated by the findings of a dubious on-line poll conducted by a Canadian magazine that deduced, as a result of e-mail responses that one Pierre Trudeau was the absolutely ‘worst Canadian ever’ in the minds of their respondents, I was going to write a blog that was a long-winded “amen” to such enlightened findings. But, then I thought, such a result was so obvious (especially to those of us in the West) that there was no point in elaborating further.

So, instead I’m going to look at movies. Bubblegum for the brain is always more relaxing than biased political diatribes. People tend to believe what they believe, and there is nothing I can do about it. That’s one of the pitfalls of democracy – not everybody thinks as I do.

Anyway, movies. As I have stated before, I no longer frequent cinemas because the rude and raucous human climate in such places tends to make me depart in a state of rage and disgust. At the same time, I love movies, and there are some that have had huge impact on me as entertainments down all the years.

Rarely do I look at a film twice (much as I rarely re-read a book), but there have been some over the years that (for me) invite multiple-viewings. These are the films that have become part-of-me, and periodically I need to refresh myself with yet another look. They are not necessarily the greatest films ever in the pantheon of such, they are just particular pleasures for me, and that is why I revisit.

Here is my list of films to watch time and again. Do you have films that have drawn you back over the years?

The Caine Mutiny: Bogart’s definitive film and the one for which he deserved the Oscar more so than for The African Queen (which is also a fave). His turn as the war-weary Captain Queeg is nuanced, subtle and truthful. “And then there were the strawberries …” Also worth it to watch weasely coward Fred MacMurray get a drink deservedly flung in his face by Jose Ferrer at film’s conclusion. Never was a more fitting gesture offered.

A Man for All Seasons: Just for the underplaying of Paul Scofield, the wonderful overplaying of Robert Shaw as Henry VIII, and the music and the whole essence of Tudor England with its pastoral beauties and sheer terrors. A tale of a man with genuine courage of his convictions; something that has always been too rare in our notables as well as the common human being.

American Graffiti: The summer of ’62 in a small town in Northern California. I was in those same towns in the summer of ’61. with the same wonderful music, the same hotrods, the same pretty girls, and even the drive-in with the servers on skates and listening to Wolfman Jack on the radio. It was reliving my youth through Ron Howard as he began his transformation from Opie to Ritchie Cunningham, to movie mogul. AG still works. Easy Rider doesn’t, despite Nicholson and superlative soundtrack, it looks cornball and dated.

Born Yesterday: Judy Holliday at her absolute funny finest as Billie Dawn, the bimbo married to the corrupt junk-dealer lobbyist in DC, played by Broderick Crawford. It’s essentially Pygmalion re-rendered, and enhanced by the cast. Holliday won the Oscar for this. She deserved it.

Vertigo: My favorite Hitchcock because it is so difficult to figure out. It actually demands multi-viewings. Jimmy Stewart as crazed fetishist suffering from acrophobia is so far removed from some of his homespun roles that you will find yourself enchanted. Kim Novak. Beautiful woman, never a ‘great’ actress. But Hitch brings out her absolute best in this. Easy to understand why the Stewart character fell for her so profoundly.

Anatomy of a Murder: This one has so much going for it. Stewart (again) back to crusty, as a small-town attorney dealing with a murder in upstate Michigan. The acting is brilliant, and the cast also includes (my often aforementioned) Lee Remick as a charming bimbo military wife given to hanging around bars, who must give certain testimony that includes discussion of her (ahem) undies. Watch Stewart’s lawyer handle this. Cast also includes George C. Scott and Ben Gazzara in their earliest movie roles, and the inimitable Duke Ellington as the bar’s pianist. Stewart is a jazz buff, so he and Duke have a fine bond. And finally, Joseph Welch, the real judge in the Army-McCarthy hearings of 1954 who said to slimy red-baiting senator Joe McCarthy at the hearings’ conclusion: "Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?" Wish somebody would have the chutzpah to say this to some of our current political creeps. Anyway, this non-actor had a brilliant turn as the judge in the tale. Inspired casting.

A Christmas Carol: This one has been watched every Christmas since I was about 12. Alastair Sim as Scrooge? There has never been another version worth watching. He’s like Robert Newton as Long John Silver inTreasture Island Don’t bother remaking either, they’ve been ‘done’ by the best.

Chinatown: Have seen it four or five times, and always find something new. Cinema Noire done in a more modern era but with all the trappings. In my esteem the best Nicholson turn, and there have been many fine ones.

I couild belabor this more, but will refrain. I also notice that all my choices are vintage offerings. Does this mean that movies are worse than ever? Maybe. Maybe it was just that films had more impact on my life at an earlier time. Maybe it’s also because via the blessing of the DVD, I also own the aforementioned.

Anyway, would love to hear about yours.


Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

One of my favourite movies of all time is Blade Runner. Then there's One Flew Over the Cukoo's nest. I must have seen both Apocalypse Now and the Deer Hunter 6-7 times (but then, I was in my nihilistic late early 20s.

I'm with you on Vertigo and American Graffiti. Vertigo is my favourite Hitchcock movie ever. As for Chinatown - Faye Dunaway is absolutely brilliant in that movie.

However, I still find myself wondering, even after writing this comment, what the hell is wrong with the girl's legs in that picture. Looks like they're pillows...

12:45 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I liked Reds, Schindlers List, Shawshank Redemption and most of the ones you quoted too, especially A Man For All Seasons. Then there's a B-grade tear-jerker called Madame X (1966) that for some reason really stayed in my mind...

1:21 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Jazz: I think it was the '50s style slacks she was wearing. Unflattering, I agree.
I totally agree with your list, too, and ran out of space before I could work more in. As for Blade Runner, Wendy has a virtual fetish about that film.
Janice:I like your list, too. Of course, Morgan Freeman makes Shawshankm as he does virtually any film he's in.
Speaking of obscure and B-rated, try 'A Boy and His Dog', starring none other than Don Johnson. It's a sci-fi thing about a dog that can read his master's mind. It's quite intriguing.

Ian

2:00 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

I love movies and nodded at most of those you listed plus a few more in the comments. As a teenager with frequent babysitting gigs in the '70s my favourite watch-again late night TV viewing was Cabaret and Midnight Cowboy. They always seemed to be on. Over and over again. Nowadays the only movie I watch on a semi-regular basis is, I'm afriad, a bit of a female cliche: The English Patient. Loved the book, loved the movie, watch it annually, cry my heart out when he finds her dead in the cave... :)

2:23 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Good choices Ian. My all time favourite, a real ten hanky film, is Dr Zhivago.
V.

4:17 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

From your choices I only would include Man for all Seasons in my favourites.
For my own, Sleuth, The Lion in Winter, Lawrence of Arabia, and the BBC series of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. Yes I too own all those DVD's plus others but these are my favourites.
Good post to get us all going.

6:11 PM  
Blogger CS said...

e worse now, I think movies have an impact at a particular time. In my opinion, American Grifaiit is more a guys' smovie. I didn't like it at all. There are a number of movies that seem to be on other's lists that I simply despise. ("Christmas Story" and "The Graduate" spring to mind.) I looked through my list of favrite movies on my profile page, adn they are mostly either recent quirky movies or kids' movies. I rarely re-watch a movie. "It's a Wonderful Life" every Christmas. Most older movies I am happy to see once, but that's it. But there are several kids movies I never tire of - "Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Iron Giant," for instance. I could see Thelma and Louise many times over. Especially the part where they blow up the leering guy's truck. And I have to admit that every time I see Napolean Dynamite, I laugh myself silly. In general, though, there are too many good movies I've yet to see to spend my time re-watching old movies, though.

6:47 PM  
Blogger CS said...

P.S. I agee with jazz. Those ar some hideous pants!

6:53 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

You have some pretty good picks there Ian. I like a lot of those. We are giant fans of old movies and have quite a collection. There are good modern movies, but the old classics are just that.

12:04 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

some of your's i like, but would add:
once upon a time in the west; on golden pond; alien; gone with the wind; and the lotr trilogy, amongst others....

3:51 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

OMG, how could I have forgotten LOTR!!!

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home