Monday, July 30, 2007

Finally, a true Homerian epic

I was asked the other day if I was going to see the movie version of The Simpsons. I don’t think so, but that is not a criticism of the film version of a TV series that is better than 99 percent of all TV comedies (the other one percent I’ll give to The Office, if for sweet Pam if nothing else)

It’s just that, for reasons I’ve outlined here before, I don’t ‘do’ movies in movie houses. The last time I went to the movies was either Saving Private Ryan (that otherwise engaging if horrific Spielberg epic that seemed to indicate there were no ‘Allies’ at D-Day, such as Brits or Canadians, and that the US had handled the whole thing all by themselves), or Titanic. I was told we had to see Titanic on the big screen because the effects were tremendous. They were. It was very impressive cinematically. The plotline and most of the acting absolutely sucked (with the exception of Kate Winslet, whom I’d watch reading the telephone book), and it also made me hope somebody might someday put out a contract on Celine Dion, but that’s neither here nor there.

As for The Simpsons, well since I’m used to watching it on TV anyway, I’ll wait for the DVD. I am also wary about any half-hour vehicle being expanded to motion picture length. It never really works. But, according to critics, The Simpsons continues to ‘work’ until about three-quarters of the way through, so that ain’t bad.

I suggested at the beginning that I am a fan of The Simpsons. Indeed I am. I think it is often brilliant, and when it’s not brilliant, it is still pretty good. I wish somebody would encourage Jim Belushi to watch and then say: “Jim, this is what ‘funny’ looks like. Obviously an alien concept to you.”

The Simpsons have been almost consistently funny, irreverent, satirical, buffoonish, sometimes touching (but never enough to get treacly), and an all out blast that is the first thing that has been consistently hilarious since Get Smart went off the air. I say this, and I’m not even really an animation buff. But, all the elements of the finest anarchic comedy are there. The Simpsons are the Marx Brothers in cartoon format, but the difference even there being (and I am a big Marx fan) that the Simpsons are almost always funny. The Marxes sometimes, quite frankly, weren’t consistently amusing. They could actually get a bit tiresome. Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and even Maggie, along with that cast of 'thousands', never get tiresome.

The series was always good, though I’m not so enamored of the early episodes. They were a bit like the early forays into sex most of us had – a bit awkward, cumbersome and ill-defined. They hadn’t yet established their groove. The change came when the focus of the series was removed from Bart and transferred to Homer – that universal schmuck that almost every male (and female who lives with one) can relate to at times. We’ve all had our Homeresque moments. The only difference between Homer and the rest of us is that he feels only a fleeting shame, the rest of us continue to live in agony with our gaffes and awful misjudgements.

So, I raise a glass and toast all the good residents of Springfield (wherever it might be, everlasting tire-fire and all), and all the gang at Moe’s and Kwikee-Mart, may you long prosper. Society needs the likes of you to inject a bit of ‘sanity’ into a genuinely insane world.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger laughingwolf said...

no argument from me on any score, ian

like you, i'll wait for the dvd

11:28 AM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

i've never watched a full episode of the simpsons in my entire life but somehow managed to end up dragged to the movie. and i must say, it's actually very good. VERY good and hilariously funny.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I love the Simpsons too. Every time a new season comes out on DVD Mr. Jazz and I work our way through it 3 or 4 episodes at a time.

I heard a review of the movie this morning on the radio, and though it's unlikely it'll get me into the theatre, I think this could actually be the one to get my butt in gear.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I think The Simpsons has remained strong because it is not afraid to push comedy, politics and social norms to the tipping point. I love it and will probably see it when it arrives on the ol' small screen. And Kate Winslet is such a talent and a beauty.

1:28 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

We are movie goers and love the Simpsons. *Next* weekend methinks we'll go. The thing that most of the politically correct don't understand about the Simpsons is its gentle nature and big heart. The surface is so different from its guts, if you know what I mean. No one is spared but it's only affectionate ribbing -- most of the time.

PS I thought Kate Winslet was brilliant in Finding Neverland. It's one of my favourites and I cried buckets. :)

7:05 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Well, no theatre experience for me...but the Simpsons has managed to hold my interest where no other animated show has.
Guess I'll dvd it. Seems good enough to me!

8:40 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Always enjoy sacred cows getting a gentle boot!

11:49 PM  
Blogger Groanin' Jock said...

I went to see The Simpsons movie at the weekend, and I wasn't overly impressed. Although, as you have pointed out, it's probably still the funniest thing that will be released this year. But it's not up there with the cream of Simpsons episodes.

During my sociology module at university, one of our lectures was on The Simpsons, and how it represents everything in American life. I'd never really thought about it until that point, but for non-Americans, The Simpsons is probably as good a portrayal of small town America as you'll get, albeit exaggerated and sillified.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

I like the simpsons, but I just like Family Guy more, and American Dad was hysterical.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

I remember when parents and teachers were all up in arms about the Simpsons, and that was way back when. A shaw that has lasted that long has to have something going for it. ;o) I'll probably go see it soon. By the way, Get Smart is coming to a cinema near you. I saw the previews the other day. I hope that it'll be as good as the original series in the 60's. Steve Carell is the actor and he does resemble Don Adams. So let's wait and see.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've never seen an episode of The Simpsons so I imagine I'm not going to see the movie either. After reading your post, I feel a little bit like I've been missing out. At least it'll be on TV for the rest of eternity through reruns.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

I love your comparison of the early episodes to sex. So right...so right...

And I love Kate Winslet.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Bibi said...

Remember when The Simpsons first came out and critics said it would never last .... and, of course, the show's creators were told they'd never amount to anything, ha ha.

7:46 AM  
Blogger CS said...

It took me a long time to get around to watching the Simpsons becuase i din't think I'd like it. Turns out, I generally find it very, very funny. But I'll also wait for it to show up on Netflix.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home