Friday, July 20, 2007

'And that's fer damshur'

While I still earn a penny as a freelancer, I toiled in the regular newspaper trade for a great number of years as a staff reporter, columnist, editor, etc., and during those few decades I managed to earn a few awards for writing. I don’t mention this out of vainglory, but as a statement of fact. Albeit a fact I am rather proud of.

In some respects, the award that gives me the greatest pride is one called: “The ‘Ma Murray’ Community Service Award,” that I received in 1998. When I heard my name in connection with the award I sort of wanted to think that maybe old ‘Ma’ herself would have approved of my being the recipient. But, since she died in 1982 at the grand age of 94, her approval didn’t come into the equation.

Now, I am not about to go into the details of Ma Murray, but I will suggest that I felt honoured to get the award because she was a hugely colourful BC figure that I’d heard about since I was a kid. I’d heard about her because I was always a newspaper buff. And Margaret ‘Ma’ Murray had a rather amazing career that she persevered with until she was in her mid 80s. Most of all, she had guts. And even more than that, she was, as Sinatra once called certain women who had cojones, a ‘great broad.’

Born into an impoverished Catholic family in rural Kansas in 1888, Margaret Murray (who left school at 13) decided, when she was in her teens, to head ‘west’ to meet some real cowboys. Ultimately, arriving in Vancouver, via Seattle, she applied for a bookkeeping job at a small newspaper that was run by a guy named George Murray. The rest, as they say, is history.

Rarely has there been such an unlikely coupling. George was quiet, reserved, well educated, almost scholarly, and a devout Protestant. Margaret was fiery, a bit profane, ill schooled, and staunchly Catholic. Yet, this oil-and-water blend worked amazingly well. And, of course, there was one thing they shared – intelligence. George thoroughly respected Margaret, and that was all it took.

As I said, colourful. Once, with a group of dignitaries in Victoria in the 1940s, when George was running for the provincial Legislature, the two found themselves at a stuffy reception. At the time George and Margaret were running The Alaska Highway News, out of Fort St. John, in BC’s Peace River district. Truly the back-and-beyond in those days. It was suggested by somebody present that maybe the Murrays were, in effect, just a little too big for their britches. At which point, Margaret leapt to her feet, thrust her 44-Ds out in front of her, and noted “They grow them big in our part of the country.” Poor George slumped in mortification. At another, similar meeting, Margaret once opined that people in the hinterland are strong and resolute because “Under every man there is a good woman.”

Anyway, her career continued for many years, and her editorial columns served to tweak the sensibilities of politicians and other knaves, cant spewers and poltroons, because she never censored her thoughts. Nor used a dictionary, much to the chagrin of George, it might be added, since he had to ‘proof’ her rantings.

And, every column she ever offered always closed with this salutation: “And that’s fer damshur.”

So, thanks Ma, and that's fer damshur, too.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Brown said...

This is a marvelous yarn. And yep, I can see how this award would be one of the most satisfying.

10:20 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

That gave me a warm fuzzy and I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of her. (And, speaking of her 44Ds, methinks George was well aware of more assets than her wit and intelligence.)

11:23 AM  
Blogger Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Ian,
Congratulations! You richly deserved that award. I'm sure there will be more awards forthcoming too. Please continue writing articles that are very worthwhile and thought provoking.

Thanks again for the wonderful post.
God bless you with everything that is good and marvelous in life.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I must say Ian you sure come up with some damn fine tales. Ma Murray sounds like a feisty and unique person worth knowing. Love her closing line. I see the same colorfulness in your own writing. One can always count on being entertained when reading your posts whether you agree with them or not.
Congratulations on the award and thanks for giving us this tidbit of BC history.

4:45 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Congratulations on winning that award. Ma Murray was indeed a remarkable woman and still stirring things up when we came to Vancouver in 1961.
I also saw Joy Coghill portray her in the stage play Ma by Eric Nichol.
jmb

9:53 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

yup, i wrote a weekly column for the nelson daily news, on ndu activities, back in the 60s... and was well aware of ma murray... grats on the award

4:50 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

Congratulations on winning that award. I can see why you would be so pleased, reading about what a wonderful character Margaret was!
Thanks for sharing a little of her story.

3:51 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I think she would make for a good movie!

1:38 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

She reminds me of one of my personal heroines, Alice Roosevelt Longworth, who once said, "If you can't say anything nice about a person, sit right here, next to me."

Many American citizens wrote to their President, Theodore Roosevelt, and urged him to "do something" about his daughter, Alice.

He replied, "I can be the President of the United States, or I can do something about Alice. I cannot do both."

She was a woman after my own heart, and that's fer damshur.

10:12 AM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

ops, i missed this Post.

yes, i too would feel greatly honoured to receive an award named after 'Ma Murray' -- i think she is a true example of the saying: "a quiet woman will never be remembered in History"

3:46 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Was George elected or was having his good woman Ma under him enough to ensure defeat?

8:32 AM  
Blogger CS said...

I can sure see where you would treasure that award, and I think it is well-deserved.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home