Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I'm pickin' up good vibrations


I have been tagged by Heartsinsanfrancsico to list five ways in which I raise my vibrations. Oh, there are probably more ways than five, and some of them might not even be suitable for my (recently) PG Rated blog, but I am up for the challenge, and here I go:

1. Writing: Aside from the fact I write to earn my bread-and-butter, I also write compulsively and feel a certain sense of exultation at a well-turned-phrase – or in receiving a sum of money from someone who happened to like that old well-turned-phrase. Honestly, if I don’t write for any extended period of time, I even go through a withdrawal of sorts.

2. Painting: This is my other creative outlet. I don’t know if I am a good, bad, or indifferent painter, and the quality of my artistry is of no consequence to me. Unlike my fellow blogger, Andrea – at whose artistic shrine I worship – I paint because it takes me away from my writing, and sometimes I need that. It allows me to drift off into a world of my own making. I like that.

3. Snorkelling: As a Piscean, I love anything to do with water, be it swimming, boating, water-skiing, sailing, canoeing, kayaking or cruising. Most of all, I love snorkelling. About 20 years ago I was in Hawaii, and was feeling stressed with overwork and other things – go figure, I was in Hawaii, but was feeling stressed. My wife and I decided to go up to the north shore on Oahu and find a place suitable for snorkelling. And so we did, and after just a few moments of immersion with the fishes and other creatures, my depression completely slipped away. Since that time I have snorkelled many more times in Hawaii, and also in the South Pacific, and even around here in the North Pacific. This is an activity that assuredly raises my vibrations.

4. Reading: From the moment I could read, by about age five, I have never looked back. I can read anything, and indeed I must in order to feel centred. I hate being trapped using somebody’s bathroom and finding there is nothing to read. How can somebody have ‘nothing’ to read in his or her potty? So, I will read shampoo bottles, tampon boxes, and foot powder containers. You can learn a lot in somebody’s can. But, seriously, I cannot fall asleep without reading, and can’t really enjoy ‘down’ time without having something to read.

5. Being in love: I absolutely love being in love. It is the most positive and life-affirming emotion we can have. I’m not talking about making love – which is pretty darn nice, too – but feeling that sense of rapture, almost unworldliness that comes from being smitten with somebody, and then watching that initial rapture of ecstasy evolve into a genuine and mature love. Fortunately, I love my wife dearly, and that makes life much better. But, in years past I have been in love with many females, and I cherish each and every memory of those bits of bliss.

By the way, I couldn’t squeeze travel into that list, but that is more than just a matter of good vibrations, but has always been a way-of-life for me ever since I became an adult. Therefore, it’s kind of a norm.

Now, according to the rules, I have to choose five bloggers to tag. This is the hard part. Not because I can’t think of five, but because there are many more than five. Anyway, if you are not chosen, I’ll catch you next time. My five are as follows:

1. Andrea: I love her blog, her wisdom and her artistry. We think in similar realms, but I don’t choose her because she massages my ego in that regard, but because I always like what she has to say. And sometimes she doesn’t ‘say’ but just presents an example of her work. If you haven’t been there, go and look. You won’t be disappointed.

2. Jazz: My soul-sister and Evil Twin, as she puts it. The times we evolve to the same conclusions, about damn near anything, are so commonplace it’s almost uncanny. And she’s funny – funny tempered with a lot of intelligence. A lethal combination.

3. Voyager of Spindrift and Dreams: If you haven’t been there, go. Again, wisdom and wit – delicious and irreverent wit, which is the best kind. I found Voyager a few months ago and I never miss a shot of her.

4. csl: Travels into realms geographic, domestic, and psychological and takes her readers with her. She’s also a fantastic photographer and obviously a gourmet cook. A very multi-faceted person whom I also enjoy visiting on a regular basis.

5. Janice Thompson: A poet par excellence. There are few poets around these days, which I think speaks ill of our society. And no, in my biased view, rap-music is not poetry in the true sense of versification. I like visiting Janice’s blog because so many of her bits of brief verse make me think, and ponder, and reach conclusions that maybe she never even intended. That’s exactly what true poetry should do.

So, if you didn’t get included in the list, it’s only because I had to limit myself to five, and could easily have added five more, and five more after that. Cheers.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger CS said...

Thanks for the kind words, and I'll work up my list and put it out there in the next few days. #4 made me laugh because that is such a male thing to need to read in the bathroom.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Ian,
You sure have very inspiring ways to raise your good vibes. You are indeed a professional writer and as such you are also a voracious reader. Painting and snorkeling are very good alternatives to while away your time. Of course, falling or being in love will always result in good vibes for everyone. You have a very healthy routine in life. Very balanced and encompassing. More power to your work and lifestyle.

God bless you with all the wonderful things in life.

6:15 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

gave up reading in the 'library' years ago... i'm there too brief a time any more ;) lol

one of your links is NOT to cs, rather to csl... another takes me nowhere :(

5:50 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Thank you Ian for your kind words. I need a few days to work on this as I am a little slow in this heat. Our lists are going to be nearly the same..except Piscean that I am I don't do snorkeling...well actually I can't swim at all.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Yes definitely reading... reading on the potty is an essential. There is even a whole series of books just for that, the Bathroom Reader series of trivia and stuff. Reading material of just the right length. ;o)
Snorkling is also good, you should try scuba diving, snorkling with a longer time limit. But what gets me is trekking to the summit of a mountain above the tree line, with a 360 view, the wind and the solitude (unless you chose a popular mountain).

8:51 AM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Ian, I am blushing, thanks for the tag. I enjoy your sense of humour too, we laugh at many of the same things. Reading your blog gives me good vibrations! Vibrations post coming up.
V.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Thank you everybody oh, and csl and voyager, I fixed the badly executed links to your two blogs. Sorry. Technical wizardry is not something I can list along with attainments or elements of good vibrations.
Ian

3:39 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Geez, Ian -- I could've written this post. If I take up your challenge can I just plagiarize you instead? :) Let me think on this a bit and if I can come up with something suitably different I'll give it a go. Thanks for the kind words; you're a prince.

8:42 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Excellent post Ian.
As my daughter says, "For me reading is like breathing, both necessary for life." True for her mother too, who gave her the reading genes.
I can't go to sleep without reading either.
My SIL, who is not a big reader has fly fishing magazines in his loo. Very boring for me.
regards
jmb

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home