Friday, June 29, 2007

Oh, please, stay by me -- Diana!

There may be three or four Taliban bandits in the back-and-beyond near Kandahar who might not be aware that this is ‘The Summer of Diana.’ For the rest of us it’s merely going to be a matter of deciding just what festivities to take in. Those heading to the UK might want to take part in the commemorative fete being hosted by her sons; for the rest of us, it will be a case of picking and choosing just what you wish to do to mark the 10th anniversary of the death of the martyred Princess of Wales.

I don’t mean to be crass and unfeeling about any of this. The death of the exquisite Diana was a tragedy to be certain. The divine creature had her life unfairly cut short via either misadventure, or just sheer lousy luck. It was very unfair. At the same time, however, it was a decade ago, folks. Don’t we have some other things to concern ourselves about 10 years later? Since I was never one of Diana’s 25,000 intimate confidantes, I know that I have been able to move on to concerning myself about war, deprivation in Africa, and why my &%$# property tax tab was so high this year, since I haven’t noticed any remarkable improvement in the services I’ve been getting.

Of course, to mark the anniversary of the demise of Diana, many publications are being demoted to her being either a reincarnation of the Virgin Mary (kind of a stretch), a naïf abused by the callous House of Windsor (closer to the truth), or a randy slut (not entirely fair but fun to think about.)

First off the mark in the publisher sweepstakes is Tina Brown’s bio. You remember Tina; she’s the one who ruined the New Yorker. Well, she’s sort of a British Kitty Kelly who once suggested that somebody else had suggested that she looked sort of like Diana. In yer dreams, sister. Anyway, Brown’s book is bound to be a big seller. Wish I’d written it but, as I said, I wasn’t one of Diana’s ‘intimates’ at any level, including real interesting ones.

I actually fell madly in love with Diana when first I gazed upon her and, even though I was quite prepared to plight her my troth (whatever the hell that means), she had nobler ambitions than taking up with a colonial boy hack writer. But, God knows, I did try to make myself known to her.

Truly she was one of the most serenely exquisite creatures of the last half of the 20th century. Gorgeous, graceful, fantastically pretty, with eyes that could knock a body dead and legs like a gazelle’s. What’s not to love? Unfortunately, according to those who knew her, she also had a brain kind of like a gazelle’s, too. Great on wit, I understand, but not necessarily deep enough for a boring old fart like Charles. Charles, who seemed to like his babes ‘seasoned’ and with a few miles on them, it seems, so dear Diana was left in his wake. The less said about such a choice on his part, the better, but the idea of leaving a nation and Commonwealth in his hands when the time comes is kind of scary.

I make a bit light of something that really was tragic, no doubt. But I do so because I grow weary of the leeches that would capitalize on her icon status for self-gain. Let the girl rest, finally.

I like my image of Diana as the unsophisticated girl from the wilds of Norfolk as she was in 1980-81 when I lived in England not too far from her home turf. I liked her fairytale wedding, and I didn’t much like anything else that happened to her life after that. It should have been better. It should have been more like that fairytale, but life rarely is, now is it?

I also like the fact that Diana in the last months of her life devoted herself to such serious causes as landmines – and she didn’t do so for the sake of cheap publicity, but because she really believed in the cause, and actually became extremely knowledgeable about it and too great risks to go to sites where landmines proliferated. If you doubt how astute she was on the subject, just ask the International Red Cross.

But then, in the last few weeks of the summer of 1997 she went back to good-life slumming among the stinking rich and tiresome and those bad choices took her out much too soon.

Amen

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger jmb said...

Well you're dead right. She was beautiful and all the other things that you said, but to celebrate the 10th anniversary of her death is just so bizarre. With a concert no less. What on earth are they thinking? I hope at least they give the money to some charity.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I'm with Jmb about Diana.
I can't figure out what the fascination about people from the past is all about. I don't celebrate funerals, birthdays and anniversary's. I get tired of hearing about John Kennedy, Diana, Elvis and more importantly the World Wars. I agree 100% that many gave their lives for my benefit and for that they have my utmost respect; but that's all we ever hear - and the world is still at war somewhere or another.
Why instead don't they talk about the mistakes that were made, the power and greed that was involved and how we could learn from this...then I'd be interested.

Diana, Elvis and JFK were all great PEOPLE but that's it - they were just people who had their dark side too. My neighbors are the kindest, gentlest and most forgiving people I know but you never hear about them - nope...not ever because they aren't rich nor are they celebrities.

Sorry Ian but this hits a nerve with me and in light of the fact I have a very painful abscessed tooth topped by the fact that Shaw's new upgrade blocked half my websites/poetry sites - including yours, I guess I just needed to get that off my chest...promise it won't happen again LOL.

7:47 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

i like the answer Jesus gave in the Bible when He was calling someone to service and the person said, "first let me go back and bury my father." the answer was, "let the dead bury the dead." people make idols of people when they're living, and even worse, they make idols of out dead people.

while everyone else will be celebrating her death-versary in august, i'll be celebrating life--my birthday--the whole month of august. i don't think i'm going to do a concert though.

10:41 AM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

it's so weird how sometimes you and i are on the same track...i was thinking yesterday about doing a Post about Diana! i just love her, what can i say. I was in England and watched the Royal Wedding with some very old "Royalists" - old Mr. Baker opened up a huge bottle of Champagne and we had a right royal party...and i guess i followed her through all her trial and tribulations (how cliche)...

I agree with most of what you say, but i think her allure is partly because we NEED to get away from all the horror and sadness that we see in the world. Sort of like the way people liked to watch the Zigfield Follies and those fantastic musicals during the depression and the war years.

Simply put --Escapism....that's what she offers us, even now, so many years after her death.

I don't know about anyone else, but i would rather watch t.v. clips about Diana, than PH...

enuf said!
pj

11:16 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

It seems every age in history is defined by a person. The Victorian era, the Elizabethan age, the Nixon era. You see where I’m going… The 1980s and 1990s were Diana’s era, and will be forever in history. Love her or not, (and I’m not a huge “fan”), her era will always be celebrated as “her era”. She is the mother of princes and kings, and they will not let us forget her. Her sons are producing this concert in memory of her birthday. And, unfortunately, history will not let us forget her.

1:03 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

I think Diana was probably smarter than she's been given credit for. Yes, she was aggressively non-academic and yes, she was more than just a little fucked up, but I think wit and heart go the extra mile in the quality race -- and there's the added benefit of non-stop charisma. But, oh, how I agree with you on the whole tabloid exploitation thing. I'm Diana's contemporary in more ways than just age so I always found her a fascinating character from a purely selfish point-of-view, but for God's sake let her rest! It's not the least bit interesting any more.

PS Your blog is like mine in that there's always great feedback on topical stuff. I always have to read the comments over here which I do with only a few other blogs.

3:00 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Ian, I agree with a lot that you said, but I find your last sentence distasteful at best. I don't think her choice to party with the rich and questionable caused her death.
Part of being (to me) a regular person is being a fan of famous people, and I happen to be a Diana fan. I know she wasn't perfect, but besides Mother Teresa and my daughter's grandmother, very few perfect people ever existed. If we were only to be fans of the perfect, we would not have a lot to choose from. I get that some people do not want to be fans of anyone at all, and that's okay with me, but please accept that a lot of us enjoy being fans.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I also thought she was divine.

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose if it wasn't the landmines, something was going to make it all end. She was one of those rare things that never stay on earth very long. But we were lucky to have been enriched by her existance.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

I never got the public adoration of her. But I agree with you that she was divinely lovely, in a real, flaws and all kind of way. And how would most of us fare if every mistake we ever made was international news?
I hope she has found peace.
V.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Marie-Hélène Raletz said...

I love your choice of labels for your posts :)

11:22 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Strange. I never got the fascination with her (or the whole royal obsession for that matter.) To my way of thinking what she was: an attractive (although I'm sorry, I think that's about it, I don't think she was unusally beautiful) wealthy girl who didn't quite know what she was getting herself into when she married into the family, who was trapped by her circumstances and developed some extrememly unealthy coping mechanisms which were her undoing. Yes, her charity work was commendable, although I think obscenely wealthy people (especially those who simply inherit it) have an obligation to do charity work. Her young death a tragedy? Not really. Sad, to be sure, but not a tragedy the way genocide is, or a school shooting. Her death was the natural consequence of getting in a car with a drunk driver. I think it would have been a tragedy if they'd managed to kill others in the process - as it is is was simply an absurd waste of life. To make a huge deal to commemorate her death strikes me as a little disgusting, but probably not any more so than all the attention we pay to other celebrity excesses. Think I'll be skipping that bash.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I met Diana once in Cambridge during a very sad time of her life and I couldn't help but notice that she ahd a very large nose and very thin legs. I felt so sorry for her, she always gave to much to others, yet longed to be held and loved herself.

The concert was great, I was glued to the TV.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Well, it's generally sad when anyone dies...but as with jmb and janice; that's enough.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I was heartily sick of Diana before she died, and I'm thinking this summer will be an annoying one. I mean, really. A concert?

But at least while they're talking about her they won't be talking about Paris.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home