Saturday, June 23, 2007

There's just something about a woman in uniform

In a cap she looked much older,
And the bag across her shoulder
Made her look a little like a military man …
Lovely Rita
The Beatles

It has long been known that a man in uniform can evoke attacks of the vapors in females. There is something about the regimentation of the uniform that gives the impression of authority and huge masculinity.

It’s a lesser-known fact that women in uniform can have similar effects on males. Certainly on this male they can. I suppose the ultimate costuming appeal for men comes from the obvious ones, like the traditional white nurse’s garb. Be still my heart, and shades of Florence Nightingale. Nurses will attest to the fact that a guy can be 96 and minutes from death but he will still attempt to make a feeble pass at this vision in white.

Stewardi (flight attendants) have also been forced countless times to politely thwart the pathetic advances of creeps into their fourth martini (since boarding), and that too has something to do with the uniform and the certain authority that comes with it.

Women in the military, too, are regularly having to confront the sometimes distasteful attitudes of their male comrades-in-arms and this has caused no end of trouble – mainly because the men are chauvinistic creeps and the women are, well, there. In a morally-bankrupt ‘superior’ this is sometimes seen as licence to exploit. Despicable behavior for which there is no excuse.

But, I am not immune to women in uniform and all that they convey. I wish nurses, for example, would go back to ‘Nurse Betty’ garb, and flight attendants can make a long overnighter ‘interesting.’ There’s a personal story there, but I won’t elaborate on it here.

But, for me, it was a police uniform that besotted me. Explicitly, a red-serge 'Mountie' tunic. Yes, I confess, I once had a crush on a cop. Oh, don’t worry, it was a purely innocent schoolboy crush (though I was long past the age of being a schoolboy) revolving around a very pretty female who happened to be a member of the RCMP.

It began when I took some photos of her for a newspaper article. She was indeed bedecked in Red Serge, with the wide-brimmed hat and all the trappings of the uniform. I took a bunch of conventional pictures and then I took one of her standing up through the sunroof of a VW a local dealer had donated to the area schools’ DARE program. She was doing a Queen Elizabeth wave. “You didn’t take a picture of me doing that,” she squealed. I laughed.

The next day the paper hit the streets and there, in full color and large size on the front page was my crushee with her queenly wave. It turned out well and, I began to wonder what she would look like with the red serge tunic above, and black lace garter-belt and hose below. Oh, and of course, she would also have the gun-belt on. It’s OK. It was just an idle thought, and you can bet Dudley Do-Right had had similar ones in the past.

“You’re going to be in big trouble,” said her superior at the daily police press conference later in the day of the paper. “You’ve pissed somebody off and she’s going to be looking for you,” he said, albeit with a twinkle in his eye. “Just remember two things: she’s a woman, and she’s armed.” I gather she’d been razzed royally.

Anyway, the end result was that my cop and I became quite good friends, since her sense of humor was as good as mine.

A few years later she and I professionally interconnected at another level. She was about 8 months pregnant and was serving on a committee in the community concerned about fetal alcohol syndrome in children. She was on leave from the RCMP, but could share a certain amount of expertise. Anyway, her particular area of concern was whether nursing mothers should consume alcohol and, if so, in what amounts?

So, there we are. My crushee and I at a table in a coffee joint, she with pregnancy bosom swollen talking about nursing and whether she would abstain during the process. I formed images in my mind, and worked to dispel them – not always successfully.

But, as I said at the outset, it was all in innocence and, eventually she got transferred from the area (which happens with the RCMP) and I’m sure she’s evoking ‘copper-crushes’ wherever she is.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Your pregnant Mountie reminds me of the Frances McDormand character in Fargo. She was brilliant.

10:34 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

This reminds me of something that happened to me a long time ago. My husband and I came across a woman who had fallen and broken her ankle on a hiking trail in Banff national park. I sat with her while he went back to get help. After several hours, up the trail came a gorgeous male Mountie, in full dress uniform (as they always wear in Banff, for the tourists, followed by two medics with a stretcher. It was like a scene from Rose Marie, even the woman with the broken ankle appreciated the sight. But he must have been boiling in his red serge jacket.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

I do love a man in uniform ;)

12:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I guess I'm outside the norm on this one. Uniforms do nothing for me. They slightly revoltl me and I don't quite trust those who wear them. I always wonder what their motivation is. Why do they need all those trappings? What are they like in regular clothes?

12:28 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

I'm not crazy about uniforms either, sister. Unless there is a kilt involved. The Seaforth Highlanders in dress unis. make me weak in the knees.
V.

7:46 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

the same goes for me as voyager and seventh sister. a uniform makes no difference to me. at least i'm not alone here.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Loved this little insight to your past Ian!
I have never been affected by uniforms but I do remember one time a gentleman in shorts who obviously worked out at the gym coming through one of those revolving doors and without even thinking, in reply to his hello, I blurted out 'nice bod' much to my horror and embarrassment. He laughed and returned the compliment but by that time I just wanted to crawl into the nearest gutter. :D

7:15 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Interesting post Ian, Women in uniform must be why I was so taken with Mrs. BB because we met in the army. The first time I saw her was on exercise and she was in combats. ;o)

8:25 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I also have an instinctive fear of uniforms, even though very often, those wearing them are perfectly helpful and friendly.

But why is anyone still debating the merits of consuming alcohol while pregnant? Ditto smoking. I really get angry when I see a pregnant woman doing either of those things because it seems clear that she can't be bothered to give her child a healthy start in life.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home