Friday, June 22, 2007

Kind of a 'lo-tech' guy I am, I guess

Sitting across the home office from me is my 1994 vintage Macintosh LC630. It sits there in mute disdain for my disloyalty as I work on my little PC laptop. The laptop is my concession to the modern era. It was cheap; it’s small and light enough that I was able to lug it around Europe with me; and it does many wonderful things. My only quarrel with it is that it’s not a Mac.

The other day I had to fire up my old Mac – it started like a charm; like an expensive vintage car. And when I finished finding what I needed on one of its files, I shut if off. That was it. I just hit the ‘shut-down’ button and ‘poof’, it ceased functioning. Immediately. With my PC and that whole Bill Gates Windows thing I shut down, and then I wait, and then I go and get a coffee, and then I go and complete the crossword, and I would probably have time to go and make lingering love, and when I come back, the laptop is part way through the shutting off process. Why is that?

I don’t know why that is. I am a fiercely non-tech person– not ‘anti-tech’, I might add; if I sincerely need a bit of technology, I will happily get it. I only have two criteria for a computer: Does it work and do what it’s supposed to? Does it not lose stuff? So, don’t be asking me about capacities and megabytes and that sort of crap. I haven’t a clue. I’m not even sure what those things are.

Sometimes I do feel like a luddite putz. I asked a friend the other day just exactly what was an iPod? I mean, I knew it was some sort of recording device, but that was about it. Oh yeah, and it’s made by Macintosh, so it’s probably good. Anyway, she explained all about it, with much enthusiasm and told me how she was going to get a new one with many more ‘features.’ Interesting. I have no desire to get one. I have a nice stereo, and a CD player in my car. Why do I need more? I know I am doing little to bolster the consumer economy with my lack of electronic enthusiasm but I’m afraid I’m of the antediluvian attitude that tells me if the stuff I’ve got does what I want it to do, then why get more? The only reason I’m using this PC is that Mac laptops cost a fortune (good stuff always does), and my old one was too limited for what I needed.

As for satisfying my need for more tech knowledge – I have a young guy to do that for me. He’s great and I really like working with him. He maintains my website, and if I am doing other website writing, I get him to handle the tech and design ends. It’s a good partnership.

I entered the ‘computer age’ way back in early 1984 when our newspaper got ‘computerized’. The aged behemoths were known as Compugraphics (similar to the one pictured above). They were quite terrible. They had a black screen with white printing that flashed in an irritating manner, and probably did untold damage to one’s vision. They also crashed, losing everything, almost constantly. They boasted no such esoterica as ‘spell-check’ or any of the other niceties we’ve come to cherish. This was long before Internet connectability, so you couldn’t even play solitaire or surf dirty sites if the day got dreary at work.

But, one thing we could do, though only a few of us were wise to it, was how to tap into anybody else’s site with no password needed. This led to a bit of a scandal. One of the editors in the chain was, we discovered, having a very torrid affair with a very young, very pretty female reporter. And, the two of them would merrily post back-and-forth in the most graphic details what they had done, what they liked, and what they were going to do at their next encounter. The editor, by the way, was extremely married and his wife had just had a baby. Anyway, we blithely read all this naughty stuff with impunity; I am now ashamed to say.

Anyway, ultimately the publisher got wind of the naughtiness afoot and essentially gave both editor and reporter their walking papers (it was a more puritanical time).

But, you like happy endings? Eventually she fled to Australia. He followed her (post-divorce); they married and, last I heard they are still living happily ever after.

Anyway, back to tech. In early 1994 I was exposed to my first Mac. I was hooked in an instant. Compared to the Compugraphics, this was like going from a horsecart to a Mercedes. A few months later I bought my own. That’s the one sitting across the office. And despite my non-tech nature, I haven’t the heart to get rid of it. It’s not just a soulless bit of electronics, but part of my history.



Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger geewits said...

I'm one of those people that will use something until it dies. Well except cars, but I kept my last one for 10 years. I started out as a Mac person and have a G3 sitting over there that I only turn on around Christmas to print my personal address labels, gift tags and so on. I feel bad slowly turning into a PC person, but my Macs have always given me trouble. I think I may just get rid of that thing altogether. I could certainly use the space.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Amen Brutha for the cluelessness....

Actually BB is going to loan me one of his Apple (that is mac, right?) laptops until I kick myself hard enough in the butt to get out and get my own. Will that ever happen? Your guess is as good as mine.

I'm a bit nervous though, friend of mine hates Macs because, as a PC user, it's "so damn easy it confuses the hell out of me." Or so she says.

12:30 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

As usual Ian, you start at A and lead us on an entertaining roundabout journey back again to B or maybe even back to A.
I love my iPod. After my laptop, it's my favourite thing. No I don't have a mac. Never have because they are too expensive and I have been satisfied with a non mac. (I don't know what I'm missing since I've never tried it.) I have been using a computer for more than 30 years but with a very limited knowledge. So when I got the laptop a year ago, I decided I would take the trouble to learn a lot more about it which I have.
Why are you shutting down your computer instead of hibernating it? I never shut down unless I'm forced to by some update. I reboot about once every couple of weeks otherwise.
Ask you techie young guy about it.
regards
jmb

2:07 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

scene - first day at a new job. co-worker finds a quiet moment to sidle next to me.

Gordon: So. What do you use? Mac or PC?

Me: Mac.

Gordon (giving a knowing smile): Ah, I just knew you were on the side of the angels....

3:27 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Gosh Ian I have never used a Mac and wouldn't have a clue where to start. My Pc shuts down quickly though so no problems there. I do know that 99% of the people - excluding Geewits LOL - love their Macs so they must be good.

6:32 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

my first computer was a mac, and i loved it. who knows, i may buy one again some day.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Ian, you have turned to the dark side have you? I've had a Mac since the first 512k Macs came out in 1986. (you know the one with a small black and white screen) and I've had them ever since. The greatest misconception is that Macs are much more expensive. Get a PC with the same equipment as a MAc and it'll cost you as much if not more. (I've tried it with Dell and Gateway) My Powerbook 12" is still going strong 5 years after having bought it. See if you can do that with a PC. And also the operating system. OSX is easier to use and when you buy an upgrade, you pay only only one price for the complete package, not like Vista where you have 3 or 4 different versions and if you want a fully capable version you pay a really hefty premium.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home