Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Working my way through the maze

I seem to be in meme mode these days. I’m not actually blocked at all – though I am procrastinating and keeping from turning my hand to finishing off editing the manuscript that I hope will, before so very long, turn into a book that will actually be published and I will be very, very famous and maybe even become a Jeopardy question one day – but this particular once intrigued me.

I took if from my friend cs, and she followed through from a number of other sources so, yes, it is making the rounds.

I’m not going to tag anybody, but if you are interested in giving it a shot, I would be delighted to see your findings about ‘you’.

Basically the meme calls for ‘Eight things about me’ and you are free to follow whatever approach you choose. They might be professional things, personal things, intellectual things, naughty things, philosophical things, reminiscent things, or a random amalgam of them all.

So, without further ado, here are my Eight:

1. For some things in my life I will never get the answers: About a decade ago, a few months after my father’s death, I was going through a mass of his old papers to see what could be discarded, or what might be of value – you know, like old life insurance policies that were worth millions. Amidst those papers I found a letter. It was a letter from my father to my mother written the month and year of my birth. In the first place, there is no reference to me (his firstborn) whatsoever. My dad was in the navy at the time and the letter was written from afar. In it he launches into a diatribe against my mother and tells her that he “will never forgive” her for something she had done. He goes on to say that she was a fraud and a thoroughly horrible person, etc. etc. It was really quite ghastly. What had happened? Had she screwed around on him? Was I ‘not’ his child? I ran the letter past my brother, who was as shocked and dismayed as was I. I also called my dad’s sister. Likewise, shock and absolutely no idea what it would have been about. My parents stayed together. They did not have a happy marriage, that much was always obvious. But, more to the point, now, a decade later, I have no idea what the letter was about, and I will never find out.

2. So, here’s the real matrimonial story: I make jocular references in my blogs to ‘assorted wives’ and my somewhat checkered matrimonial history. In other words, I make light of something about which I am not very proud. I have been married three times. I was married to my first wife, my college sweetheart, for almost 25-years. She was a very striking girl and, when we met, and judgment isn’t always based on ideal criteria, she seemed to fill the bill. I say we were married for 25 years, but we probably should have never gotten married. We were simply too different. She was – and I mean this as no insult at all – a very conventional lady. I was never a particularly conventional man in terms of my view of life. I was more adventurous, more romantic and more prepared to explore all that life had to offer. I felt stifled, she felt threatened. We both had justification for our feelings. So, to make a long story short, we simply grew apart to the degree that neither featured greatly in the life of the other. We had some good times, and some good travels, and had a beautiful waterfront home, but life was hollow and empty. OK, that was #1. Number two was something that should never have happened. We were married for a heady 11-months. Yes, we did shack up for three years prior to that. It was a tempestuous ‘Liz & Dick’ relationship. I was madly in love with her, and she with me – we thought. She was very beautiful, and we were excruciatingly hot for each other. That doesn’t provide for a very firm foundation. The breakup was brutal, but it had to be. As for Number three, current and ongoing. Wendy is the light of my life. We are a virtually perfect fit and I take much solace in that just maybe I have it right this time around. Maybe, just maybe I’ve grown up a bit, too.

3. I have been many things: I began my working career as a high school teacher of English and history. I did that for eight years. I was a good teacher (I am proud to say) and a popular one. But, it was the wrong calling for me. It was the wrong calling at a number of levels. Let me say that I really ‘liked’ teaching and I really liked my adolescent charges. But, I hated the public school system, and I detested the confrontational politics of the teachers’ union. Too many teachers become obsessive about being hard-done-by (they’re not) because most of them have never done anything else and they have no grip whatsoever on the ‘real’ workaday world. Anyway, I left, and I never really regretted it. I went to newspaper work, which was definitely my forte. I loved (and still love) being a scribe. I love newspaper people and even though I’ve been freelancing for a number of years, I still love going into a paper and just hanging out. Late, and for a while, I became an addictions counselor (sort of grew out of a series of articles I had written, and I became intrigued by the work of others in the field). I still work with addictions organizations, but left counseling after a few years because it really is ‘burn-out city.’ At the end of it, though, I still run into former students and my mind will hearken back to those early days and I will think – “If I had stuck with teaching I’d have a great big fat goddamn pension now!”

4. I have never been without a pet: Cats or dogs have been a part of my life from the time I got my first cat, Blackie, when I was three years old. I love animals. They are loyal and trustworthy and you can do absolutely anything reprehensible or disgusting, and your dog or cat will never judge you. “Hey, that lady’s not our Mom. But, that’s OK, Dad. Mom won’t hear anything about her from me.” At present we have a very old cat, four fish in an outdoor pond, and Wendy would very much like to have a dog. That could happen.

5. I regret never having had children: I think I would have been a good dad. I have a stepdaughter with whom I am somewhat estranged, although we have finally touched base in the past few months, much to my delight. But, have never had any of my own. As I have gotten older I have come to realize how very much adore children. I adore tiny tots so much that I can almost get weepy in their presence, which makes me feel a bit like a sentimental old fool. So be it.

6. I have dreams about cars I once owned: I will dream that I open an old garage door and there is my old Ford or Chev, sitting there in perfect condition. I think, “I didn’t get rid of it. It’s still here.” I get inside and turn the key (which I, for some reason, still seem to have on my person) and it starts up beautifully. I am delighted. This will do as a second car. Then I awaken and am very disappointed.

7. I resent the dreadful nature of contemporary music: I love music, of all genres. I used to be a rock-and-roll scholar and was like the guy in the movie Diner (who was married to the excruciatingly enticing Ellen Barkin) who knew the flip-sides of all the singles from the ‘50s and ‘60s. I was kinda like that. I own the original Velvet Underground and Nico, not to mention Otis Redding/Jimi Hendrix Monterey Pop album, both big-time collectibles. But, since about 1987 music has become a hideous bore and I could literally not tell you the name of absolutely anything currently popular. And I don’t really care.

8. I have a fear of dying before I get to see all the places on my ‘list’: That’s the way it is, however. I just cannot see them all. But, you know, that depresses me just a little bit. I am also not sure I’ll be able to get back to all the places I’ve already visited and want to return to, just one more time. Hmm.

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

I read you loud and clear on #8!
Your first one is interesting...things I'll never find an answer to. I like that, made me think of a whole long list in my own life that fit that description very well.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Interesting insight into you Ian. I just might do this, since several bloggers I frequent have already done it.

Like Tai, I hear you on #8...

11:41 AM  
Blogger CS said...

Glad you picked up on hte non-tag! I hate unanswered questions - ambiguity has always been so difficult to me. Many of the answers made me think about how funny life can be, what odd twists and turns. I don't know a lot about music, expecailly very current music, but I have to say there are new songs out there I really like. And old stuff I love.

1:07 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

I'm on a necessary, though mostly self-imposed, blogging break and have not been making the rounds much or commenting but I did want to say how much I enjoyed your (and CS's) take on this meme. You have a refreshingly self-deprecating view of the world.

3:58 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Good post Ian. I too have been tagged but my draft answers are not as good nor as well developed.
I can see how you must be frustrated by number one. After my mother died I felt I would never get the answers to some things that happened in her youth to influence her manner.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Bibi said...

"I adore tiny tots so much that I can almost get weepy in their presence, which makes me feel a bit like a sentimental old fool."

.... how sweet is that!!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

"She was very beautiful, and we were excruciatingly hot for each other"
Ian, there are many less honest reasons to hook up with someone. So you legally tied the knot too. Would you trade those 11 months? I would guess not. It proves you are truly alive and willing to leap. Admirable, in my opinion.
V.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

thanks Ian, good to know what your matrimony story is at last! This meme nicely feeds the nosey parker in me.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I like your honesty Ian but more then that I respect your ability to take everything in stride and move on. Your sense of adventure is an endearing quality and a road many are not willing to travel. It's the 'Johnathan Livingston Seagull' that
knows how to live life to the fullest.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I continue to enjoy learning more about you thr these tags and memes. So fun. I also have never been without a pet, and as for your dream about cars you owned, very rich material there for pondering.

Happy almost weekend,
Deb

9:56 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

hi ian, i think i'll do this meme for my next post just to take a break from the seriousness of life. i love learning new things about my blogging buddies.

for your #3, you are definitely a journalist/writer at heart. i think those recurring car dreams have an interpretation; now to just find someone who can interpret dreams.

7:44 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

So Ian if you and your first wife were together for 25 years did the subject of children come up at all?

I can help you out on some really good music that is out now that you will like if you love "old music." John Legend. He's awesome! His website is here: http://www.johnlegend.com/ I have the new one "Once Again" and now I want to get his first album. It's very pleasant and reminds me a little of Smokey Robinson.

2:53 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I read this with utter fascination. The facts are interesting and so honestly related.

The first one is as shocking to read as it must have been to find that letter. It pains me for you that you will never know what happened, but it would make a marvelous story, even the basis for a novel. So much of our family history is a matter of conjecture and even fantasy anyway.

A great post, Ian.

5:31 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

hi ian, just wanted to wish you a HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! i know you don't have any children of your own, but i'm glad you have your step-daughter, and i'm glad you've been in touch with each other. i know that was a desire of yours, and i'm glad it's been answered.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Thank you so much for all your comments. Some really interesting insignts offered and I always appreciate interconnecting with my 'friends' in this space

10:40 AM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

Ian, nice post and happy father's day. Yes, your step-daughter counts. You were a part of her life and she was part of yours.

I like your honesty and I'm with you on #8.

Sunday blessings to you and Wendy,
Enid

10:48 AM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

it just occured to me now that the trouble with marriage is that is should not be entered into lightly - what i mean is, i think people get married instead of "dating"...i wonder if you were entirely truthful with yourself, did you have a niggly feeling that you should not be marring the first two times?

~~just idly speculating~~

cheers for now,
pj

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home