Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Four little words are all you need

When I was running an addictions rehab one of my counselors had an effective homily he used to throw at clients who were going through the agonies of withdrawal hell – and if you haven’t seen such a human phenomenon, believe me, it’s not a pretty sight.

The victim is suffering physically, emotionally, and spiritually and his life has become the stuff of his worst nightmares. When it would seem like the poor bastard was reaching a detox point where he believed he could not carry on any longer, my counselor would offer this thought. Amazingly, or maybe not-so-amazingly, it worked better than you might think.

“Just remember four little words,” Dave would say to the guy writhing on the bed. “Those four words are: This too shall pass.”

Smart guys paid heed to the wisdom of the statement, and those who entered a successful recovery, rarely forgot them.

According to legend the tale of the four words originated in the Middle East in days of yore. It seems that the potentate, Sheikh Yerbouti (sorry, stole the apocryphal name from Frank Zappa, because I have no idea what the man’s name was) asked his assorted palace wiseguys to research a treatise that would teach his wayward and wastrel sons all they needed to survive in the world. He wanted wisdom in a nutshell. After years of pondering scriptures and scrolls and other enlightened works, the wise men eventually pared it all down. The potentate was well-pleased with their efforts and rewarded them with harems of their own – albeit smaller, economy sized harems when compared with his own.

But, to be seriously philosophical for a moment, those four words follow the KISS criterion (Keep It Simple, Stupid) and throw in a bit of Occam’s Razor just in case all contingencies haven’t been seen to.

What else, in truth, do any of us need to know? Life is a transitory business. This is how it is, and no matter what ghastliness is afoot, or what goodness might be abounding, it will all go away with the passage of time. We live in wacky and scary times, but we’ve always lived in wacky and scary times, if you think about it, and we likely always will.

So, we can offer these words to poor Paris Hilton, for example: “This too, my dear, shall pass. Don’t fret about the fried bologna or who you might be forced to ‘service’ at shower time tomorrow. Eventually you will be back at the mansion, wherein you can discard the orange jumpsuit and cuddle up with your little dogs (which were probably hoping for a longer sentence, possibly life, at least ‘their’ lifespans, anything to keep out of that &*%$# handbag) and all will pass like a bad dream.

To be serious for a moment, we have all faced adversity in our lives. Sometimes we have had to deal with excruciating pain. Loved ones have died, cherished love affairs and marriages have gone south, some nights have been long and lonely, illness has encroached on our peace and happiness or the peace and happiness of those we love, and we can end up being filled with despair. In that, there is balm in the knowledge, it will pass. The bad times will end.

So, alas, will the good ones. Nothing goes on forever, and all that we have and know will change. Life is transitory. This is neither good nor bad. It is what it is.

As it says in Ecclesiastes, there is “a season” for everything that must be. The Byrds had a pretty decent song about it, too.

In complete sincerity, however, I have used the four words to get me through some bad patches in my own life. They work.


Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger jmb said...

Good post, Ian.
I'm sure we all know these four little words, even understand them fully but it's never easy to get through to the other side. Interesting that they worked on the drug addicts, for withdrawal surely is a horrible valley to pass through.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

What a great post..I need to use these words myself as I'm going through a difficult time right now.

Hugs~

4:46 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Wonderful words. They get one through despair. And even in good times they are a reminder that unknown new adventures are down the road.
V.

7:54 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

My mother always said those words. I liked them better than her other favorite homily, "In 100 years, this won't make any difference," which secretly enraged me.

This is a really fine and thought-provoking post, Ian.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

OK, you just freaked me out Ian. As I read those words, I thought: "I wonder if that's true of Paris too."

I swear on Mr. Jazz.

Get out of my head!!!

*shudder*

6:55 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

This being said, "This too will pass" is pretty much my philosophy in life. The bad times will end. The good will end too, so live them to the fullest while you can.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Excellent Ian...and so very wise for it is true that all things are in a constant state of change. I think as a child I learned this well from my parents who in regards to the weather would always comment: 'Wait five minutes and it will change.'
Thanks for reminding us to keep those four words in mind during our dark hours too.

8:15 AM  
Blogger CS said...

Also part of the foundation of Buddhism - the transitory natire of everything. It is a dewdrop life.

12:58 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

hi ian, i came here tuesday nite to read this post, and alas, the storm we had knocked my DSL service out, destroying my modem. i have a new one today, so i'm reading this 2 days later, but better late than never--at least in this case.

those 4 words are 4 of my most used words in the english language. it's how i've encouraged myself sometimes thru some tuff situations. and you know, all that i'm going thru now, "this too shall pass." thanx ian.

7:19 PM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

yep; i tell myself that when i am in so much pain i can't move;;;"this too shall pass" and it does...nothing stays the same...and i tell my daughter that too when she is miserable, or unhappy, or dissatisfied...good post.

11:03 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

yeezy boost 350
supreme clothing
retro jordans
retro jordans
jordan shoes
birkin bag
adidas nmd
nmd
supreme clothing
steph curry shoes

4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home