Saturday, June 02, 2007

"In my craft or Sullen Art"

In a round-about way I was tagged by Wolfgirl – actually, I went into this wittingly and chose to take the option. I chose to take the option because I found the questions a bit interesting and chose to respond to them as follows. OK?
The tagging rules herein go as follows, but don’t feel compelled to follow them at all. Anyway, at the ‘official’ level it goes like this:

Post a similar post to this one and add a link back to the person who tagged you.* List 5 reasons why you blog about the things you blog on your blog.* Choose your 5 tag ‘victims’ and tag them nicely.* Write a comment on their blog letting them know that you tagged them.

So, the basic question is. "Why am I here?" Well, many years ago my mother linked up with this guy – oh, sorry, it’s a more philosophical and abstract question. So, as follows I will attempt to answer a question for which I have no definitive answer, since it invariably depends on my mood of the day.

1. I am compelled to write. I am stealing this motivation right from Wolfgirl. Writing is my way of keeping centered and rational. Even when I go on vacation I write, or I compose in my mind. In the old days I always took a notebook and kept a personal journal, and in recent years it’s been a laptop. I go through withdrawal, almost literally, if I am away from writing for too long. Of course, I’ve written to keep bread in the larder for years, but it’s much more than a job. It’s my best way of being acquainted with my own thoughts and processes. Long before I went into the newspaper business, I wrote. And in that, even if I’m not paid for it, I’ll never really retire.

2. It keeps me connected. I admit it, I Google myself in a fairly regular basis just to see who has picked me up and put me in the (often vain) hope that somebody might want to pay me for my musings. I’m not money-obsessed in any way, but I do like to pay the mortgage and to travel, and money is needed for both. What better way to pay the bills than by doing something I genuinely love.

3. It allows me to hone my craft on a virtually daily basis. As I have mentioned in the past, I wrote a column for many years and that was one of the most fulfilling things I’ve ever done in a somewhat multi-faceted life. I liked connecting with people in such a manner. I would have written a column even if I hadn’t been paid for it. At one point I was writing columns for my home-town paper, for a UK paper, and for one of the big Vancouver papers all at the same time. All of them different columns, by the way. I don’t get paid to blog, but it still fills the same need.
4. Writing is my most effective means of communication. I think this is something shared by many of us in these pages. Verbally, I’m pretty astute and fairly smooth. But, I’m sometimes prone to gaffes and stating something that will be taken entirely the wrong way. I’m especially adept at such – uh-oh, that didn’t come out right – moments with female partners or wives. If it is somebody I’m really emotionally involved with I’m even more verbal-blunder inclined, which can lead to: Guess who ain’t gonna get lucky tonight? With writing I can make a statement, and then I can ponder it, and then I can go back and change it, with no harm done. The reader will never see what was originally stated, and that’s just as well.

5. I love connecting with you all. It’s neat to build up these cyber relationships and it adds a whole other dimension to life. I haven’t ever met you – well, I have met a couple of you – but I feel a connectedness across the universe and I think that’s healthy and positive. I care about how you’re feeling and thinking, and I love it when people come to visit me and to make comments, verbal jousts, jokes and so forth. It’s like rilly-rilly cool!

At this point I am also going to follow Wolfgirl’s approach and say that if you choose to respond to this, you can also choose to be tagged – or not. There is utterly no obligation, but I’d love to see how some others respond to the primary question of ‘why you do this’ with 5 responses of their own.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger jmb said...

I have always believed that a true writer is compelled to write so always assumed therefore that I wasn't a true writer but a reader instead.

In any event you have been so fortunate to earn your living at something you love to do. What more could anyone ask of a career?

Your blog readers enjoy coming here to see what you have to say, keep it up.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

you rock. and i google myself too. Of course i am the only hageltoast so it's fun to see a google page all about me!

9:08 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

It was not my intention to slyly rope anyone into a meme, but I'm happy you accepted!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I think you perhaps should start replying to your commentors, though. Blogging is very interactive, and with very few exceptions, most people reply to their commentors on their blogs. So it’s a bit disheartening to post a comment, come back to read your reply, and there is none. It’s like that awful expression “talking to the hand”. I would bet that when you post on someone else’s blog, you check back to see what they have replied to you. Aha, you do, don’t you? I think you would find your blog would become much more active, because you are a good writer and always have interesting topics. I think people would be thrilled to have a reply from you, but you never give one.

…just sayin’, is all.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Rebecca,I hand my head in shame. I debate back-and-forth whether or not I should reply to postings or what I usually do is go to the poster's blog and make comment there. But, since I cannot access a blog for you that cannot transpire. Thank you for your compliments and maybe I will revamp my approach to responding. And yes, I confess, I do go to the blogs of others to see if they have responded to what I've written, so I absolutely have no excuse.
Thanks again,
Ian

7:12 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Sorry, that was supposed to be 'hang' my head. Otherwise, I'd be imitating John the Baptist
Ian

7:13 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Funny thing, this compulsion to write. While there are folks out there who detest writing, and every word on paper is an unpleasant effort. How do we explain to such folks that all we need to have a good time is a pen?
I love reading your words. Keep em coming!
V.

8:40 PM  
Blogger elleeseymour said...

Ian, writing and communicating is a great gift which you have, it's great that you can share it globally thanks to the web.

3:31 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I've never googled myself. Other people yes, but never myself. Probably because I know I don't even register - which means I'm a nobody in cyberspace if I use my real name. And if I use Jazz, well, we all know what would happen there.

I might take you up on this when I've got bloggers block again. You are a good unblocker Ian.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I have to agree with your number one Ian...I cannot seem to stop myself from writing either. I am confused and disorganized if I haven't written at least one poem a day and most days it is more than one verse.
I also feel the same as your remark in number five; it is a pleasure to hear from people all over the world and to know that really we are all the same in our thoughts, desires and struggles. There is a closeness the internet provides that is both touching and caring, yet a not-in-your-face connection that steals your privacy.
I enjoy your thoughts and ideas on this blog Ian and always look forward to visiting.

9:06 AM  
Blogger CS said...

I understand completely about the compulsion to write, and it's never even been my profession. And the connections and interactions with the bblog community, those are priceless. But, I google myself periodically to make sure my blog can't be found by my name! I need the anonymity.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Ian, Love your answers.

I'll answer your tag here:

1. I have a insatiable need to write. So blogging is a great outlet.

2. I am a teacher at heart, so I use blogging to get information out to others - as well as to fortify my own knowledge of things.

3. I'm a shy person, so it is a wonderful way to meet others, forge friendships, etc.

4. Blogging allows me to see the world without having to travel (though I adore traveling).

5. Blogging keeps me away from raiding the emergency chocolate.

9:24 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

hermes belt
balenciaga shoes
kd 12
adidas stan smith
retro jordans
supreme shirt
vans outlet
supreme clothing
yeezy
lebron 17

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home