Thursday, May 17, 2007

I paint what I paint; no more, no less







This little exercise in egomaniacal self-indulgence comes about as of a suggestion by fellow-blogger and artiste extraordinnaire, Andrea who thought I should share some of my artistic efforts on my blog. So, with much trepidation (even though I have posted the odd sample of my painting over the last year or so), I thought I'd give it a shot.
I am stricly a hobbyist, so no hypercritical eye is needed to point out any seeming flaws. I am probably more aware of them than any onlooker. I love to paint, however, because it takes me away from writing for a while, especially when I'm feeling burned out, and yet it is still a creative endeaover. I have dozens of the them cluttering our walls, and Wendy most graciously accepts them as a pleasing adjunct to our walls.
#1: Indian Canyon rock formation -- Just outside Palm Springs, from a photo taken after an extensive hike in this magnificent park.
#2: Twin Falls on the Island of Kauai -- Young Hawaiian males in ancient times, to prove their manhood, would dive from the top of the falls. Some survived, they say.
#3: Tigh-na-Mara Beach -- A Vancouver Island scene about 40-miles south of where I live. There is a massive tide drop in the area.
#4: Lands End at Cabo San Lucas -- A familiar scene of the very southern tip of Baja, from a photo I took back in 1994.

14 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

You'll get no criticism from me. Hell I can't draw a straight line, much less paint a picture.

I like.

9:53 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Hey -- where's my favourite? :) I like seeing them as a group. Small groupings of a similar theme/style seem to enhance them. D'oh! I guess that's why there's art galleries!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Hey, Andrea. I actually ran the Annecy one a few months ago, shortly after I finished following my return from Europe. So, I just thought it would be redundant.
Anyway, thank you for the inspiration. It was a nice idea.
Cheers,
Ian

11:56 AM  
Blogger Voyager said...

A man of many talents you! I love the one of Tigh Na Mara, I've been there and you have caught the mood. I've also swum in the pool at the bottom of the twin falls in Kauai, although I did not dive! Magical place.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

AWESOME Ian!...these are wonderful! I had no idea you were an artist too. You are a man of many talents my friend. I would love to use one or two as wallpapers if I may.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Really nice paintings, Ian. I like you style. My sister and wife are both artists and I have the utmost admiration for anyone who can produce art, be it a painting, drawing or sculpture. Like my lil sister Jazz, I have absolutely no artistic talent, but I can admire those who have.

6:18 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

How lovely! You are a multi-talented man for sure, but don't go jumping off any waterfalls now, okay?

11:44 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

The last one is my favorite. Very nice!

1:00 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

They look pretty fine to me Ian. I have no artistic talent whatsoever and art class in school was agony for me.
As you say a nice change from the writing.
regards
jmb

2:26 PM  
Blogger CS said...

How nice of you to share those. I have the same feeling about photography - I photograph wha photograph; no more, no less. So good for you!

4:42 PM  
Blogger elleeseymour said...

I can't believe you paint as well as write, you are so lucky to have so many gifts.

4:38 AM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

What a talented soul you are!! Thank you so much for sharing these images with us. I love the landscapes and your technique. I get a sense of peacefulness as I view your work.

A tip of the hat to you, my friend. I hope you'll share more of your paintings with us.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Nabeel said...

I like the second, third and the fourth painting a lot .. each has a tranquil effect to it .. and something unique .. well for example the waves are brown as the sand :)

5:24 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I think those are so wonderful! I very much want to paint and plan to do so soon.

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home