Thursday, May 03, 2007

Here I am -- warts and all

I have spent the past nearly 30 years interviewing other people. Yet, during that time I have rarely been interviewed myself. Consequently, by a meme in the blog of Andrea (that artist extraordinaire) she posed the question as to whether any of the respondents would like to be interviewed via five selected questions. In a moment of curiosity, or vainglory, I bit. While I am a very private person for the most part, I was challenged by her questions, so I bit.

So here you have it. The questions were posed by Andrea, but the responses are mine:

1. Is there any overlap between your blogging and your freelance work? How do they influence each other? In a word ‘sometimes.’ For 20 years I wrote a newspaper column, one that actually won a couple of major awards. The column was similar to my blog in that I looked at the world/people/things/situations and offered my interpretation. I have also freelanced for decades on various subjects. So, when blogging came around, it offered me this chance for self-expression I’d always not only loved, but literally ‘needed.’ It’s something within me. Sometimes I have shortened and adjusted freelance articles into blogs. Mostly, however, they are original offerings.

2. You live in a promised land/bit of paradise but nowhere is perfect. What would you do to improve the Courtenay/Comox region? The Comox Valley is exquisite at many levels, and the quality-of-life is enviable. What I would do, however, is offer some viable employment opportunities, especially for young and middle-aged professionals. Opportunities are few in this retirement haven, which is a kind of Palm Springs North. And the level of pay sucks. Consequently, our schools are emptying out as what should be the most vital element of a community demographic is leaving.

3. Do you follow the rules? Explain. My goodness, Andrea. Whatever kind of ‘rules’ do you mean? For many years of my life I chose “men behaving badly” as a kind of romantic credo. Had lots of fun, but also had lots of heartbreak and waste of creative potential. So, no, I didn’t follow the rules at one time. Then, I think I grew up, so now, I do. It’s better. It’s calmer. It’s happier.

4. Name one thing you’ve always wanted to do but haven’t quite managed yet: Can I name two? Can I, can I? I have always wanted to have a book published. Not necessarily a best-seller or a big money earner, but just something with my name on it, and something that others might refer to from time to time. The other is to travel as much as I can and as long as my money and health hold out. Kauai is beginning to beckon once again, but then again, it always did
.
5. How did you meet your wife? I met my wife almost exactly 10 years ago on a sunny day trip to Hornby Island that was arranged by a female friend. She gathered up a group of walking wounded unattached people for a day’s outing. Wendy was one of those people. We had both come out of wretched divorces and neither of us wanted to get hooked up. I think that was why we clicked right from the beginning. We felt a wonderful and undemanding comfort zone within each other. Even though she is younger than I am (by 13 years), we have never noticed an age discrepancy. That must mean that she is either very mature, or I am very immature. Whatever the case, it works.


DIRECTIONS FOR THE INTERVIEW MEME
1. Leave a comment saying, "Interview me." Cut me some slack -- it may take awhile.
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. Please make sure I have your email address.
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.


12 Comments:

Blogger Voyager said...

Um, O.K., I'll bite. Sure, interview me. (She said with trepidation.)

I enjoyed reading your answers Ian. And by the way, I love Kaui too.
V.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

I'd be delighted to, but I will need you to send me your email. Send it to ian_l@shaw.ca if you don't want to post it here. Hmm, now to think of questions for you, since I have many that come to mind.

Ian

11:44 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Great answers Ian and nice to know a little about you. I quite agree with your answer to Number 2. It is still a beautiful place to live despite though its imperfections.

1:39 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Hi Ian,
As usual you have great things to say. To me the first answer was very interesting. Of course I don't know where your freelance stuff is so this is all I see. But it has always seemed to me that you take a simple idea and go where it leads. Like the key post, which was so unique. A simple idea but you built it into a good piece of writing.
The wanting to write a book is great too. I would love to have that ability. Only because I love to read and I would like to contribute something into the bookosphere. (Never will, however.) I like the little wistful bit, "that others might refer to from time to time."
Keep on entertaining us.
Oh, and I'm glad that you got to meet "soulmate" after all.
regards
jmb

3:58 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Interesting!
It pleases me to no end that I used to read your column 'back in the day'. It's kind of a, "I knew him when...."

7:10 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

I'm game. Interview me. :)

10:50 PM  
Blogger elleeseymour said...

And did you answer your questions any differently to how you would have done for a newspaper report? Would you have been so candid and honest?

I haven't seen such interesting questions before, and deeply personal. I enjoyed it very much.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Bibi said...

Your answer to #4 shows you still don't follow the rules, ha ha. But heck, they're made to be broken. ;-)

1:00 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, Ian! And your answer to #4 (sort of a 'colouring outside the lines' sort of question) was just what I was hoping for!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Ian..
I hope #4 comes true :)

4:51 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Most interesting questions and answers.

You impress me as a very honest and good-natured man, as well as an elegant writer.

Your two wishes are also two of mine, and I have no doubt that your book(s) will be both best-sellers and critically acclaimed modern classics.

(From my lips to God's ear.)

10:54 AM  
Blogger CS said...

I like this meme because it pushes even relativley private (to the extent that you can be "private" with a public blog) to reveal a bit about themselves. So thanks for answering those - good to know a little more about you. Since I find that each iteration of this brings something new to think about, I'd love an interview from you of you've not made your quota. But take your time.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home