Thursday, April 26, 2007

Cascadia, the gem on the ocean

I was born on the west coast. My parents were born on the west coast. Even my grandparents came to the west coast as relatively young people, back around the turn of the 20th Century. That makes me kind of an anomaly amongst all the rogues, scalawags, rounders and villains who came along later and really populated the place up.

Consequently, my sensibilities are coastal. Equally consequently, I am a great admirer of the concept of Cascadia. Cascadia, for those from elsewhere, is a mythical kingdom (so far) consisting of – in one model – British Columbia, Washington State and Oregon. And, of course, named for the coastal mountain range that dominates the Pacific strip. To see that version you can check out http://zapatopi.net/cascadia/ and see what the ‘republic’ looks like. As I say, that is one version. Other versions of Cascadia include in the mix Alaska, Alberta, the Yukon, Idaho, Montana and California. I like that one better because I think there is more economic potential as a separate entity. I also, due to a personal bias, would throw Hawaii into the mix, primarily because I really, really like Hawaii and it’s sort of on the ‘far’ west coast.

The point of the issue is that we in the west – both western Canada and the western US – have long suffered under the exploitation of the eastern and central parts of the continent, who have regarded us basically as colonies to be raped of our natural resources, but are granted very little political power. This lack of genuine impact is nonsensical and fueled by Starbuck’s, we could definitely go it alone.

The latter issue is especially true in Canada where decisions are made in a far away place called Ottawa. Ottawa is a moderately pretty town with a climate a little worse than that of Murmansk, and Ottawa is the place that steals my money every April (and at other times during the year, on a regular basis) and issues directives telling me what to do and how to think. Ottawa asks me to think in directions that are utterly alien, and offensive to me.

In a conversation for my former newspaper with an Ottawa-based drone for the federal fisheries ministry (these are the guys who, by the way, with their boneheaded decisions have virtually ruined the west coast fishery; that was after they had destroyed the east coast one) he referred to Georgia Strait as “a lake”. I patiently tried to explain the concept of saltwater and the Pacific Ocean to a dude who assumed that once you were past Lake Superior you would fall off the face of the earth. I don’t think I likely succeeded in my explanation.

Now, the aforementioned website is pretty rednecked and makes points that I do ‘not’ embrace, but it does address the fact that we in the west, on both sides of the border, are alien colonies in the eyes of our official overseers. I have much more in common with somebody living in Seattle or Portland, or even San Francisco, than I have with somebody in Ottawa, or Toronto. I take my vacations in Hawaii or the southwestern desert and feel utterly at home among the folks there. The concept of so-called “cottage country” in Ontario means nothing to me. I’ve been there. The provincial ‘bird’ of that part of Ontario is the black fly.

Just recently the premier of BC broached the subject of Cascadia following a recent economic agreement with oil-rich Alberta and after conferring with 'Ahnold' over the sharing of environmental (and fiscal) connections with California. Nice to hear a Cascadia mention from actual “officialdom”.

I first heard about Cascadia years ago during a late evening boozy conversation with the late Bob Hunter, in those days the Vancouver Sun’s resident hippie scribe, and later a founder of Greenpeace. I was fascinated by the concept and Bob, right to his premature death, never lost his fascination with that great and powerful nation on the shores of the Pacific in which the people could share their common ties and realize the true benefits of what being a Pacific Rim nation could be all about.

So, Hail Cascadia, may you sometime prosper.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Voyager said...

Ian, I'm happy to know another Cascadia proponent. Our environmental laws should be in tune with Washington, Oregon, and California, the places that share our air, water, and migratory animals. Not Ontario.
I am however, one of those scalliwags you mention that was born from "away". My Dad was born in Squamish though, does that help my wet coast standing?
V.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Nice to know that the west and Quebec have something in common alienantation-wise. And god knows I'm more comfortable in the American South west than pretty much anywhere else.

I'll vote that you get Cascadia if you make Quebec one of your colonies.

12:47 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

It's a great idea but I would add Alaska and avoid the California connection (no matter how sweetly the Governator might try to sugar-coat it) as, economically, it would probably end up just a geographically-shifted example of the current eastern-centered problem. With a population the size of Canada in a highly-concentrated area and the economic punch it carries, I figure that those of us to the north would be just as alienated as we are from the east. California's GDP ranks fifth in the world, behind the U.S., Japan, Germany, and the United Kingdom (and it has a huge deficit to match).

2:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice to see fellow Cascadians. The zapatopi.net/cascadia.html is a parody site with it idea of a Bigfoot militia and tree octopus. I would recommend checking out http://republic-of-cascadia.tripod.com/ there are also links to Cascadian forums at the bottoms

3:31 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I have always thought that divisions based on land mass and common interests made more sense than political identities.

The Cascade Mountains are very beautiful, and make a natural boundary, as do bodies of water. We would really have to pull strings to get Hawaii included, if they even wanted to join in.

I would beware of any endeavor in which Herr Governator had a hand, though.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

I've mulled the Cascadia idea over too...it's rather appealing, I'm definitely somebody who will always live near salt water in view of mountains and I do think it shapes your identity somehow.

Even more so, being on an island like we are. :)

10:36 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I don't think I would like to be associated with California either.
Do you think that Washington and Oregon have a sense of alienation from the rest of the USA?
It's always annoyed the hell out of me that on federal election night, when we turn on the TV just after the polls closed in BC, it's already decided before we have finished voting.
I definitely think Alaska should be included or Alberta. You've got to have oil!
jmb

11:04 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I've lived in the southeast, northeast, and west coast of the U.S. and I just can't get worked up about how it all gets divided. I think you could make an argument for an infinite number of divisions, and to what end? I'd ratehr see the US/Canada/Mexico mass working together on things like wise use of resources and environmentla protections.

5:27 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Cool, California like
though a little colder, with less desert sand, I dare say.

See GreenPeace can't tells us what we should do - but it is nice to know that people took the time to stop at least some polluters, polluting the waters for me and you

7:21 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Wonderful idea Cascadia but then again wouldn't it be even better if we all could live together and share equally?...guess that'll never happen in this lifetime but one can always dream...

8:40 AM  
Blogger elleeseymour said...

Ian, I would like to read your articles. Is there any way you can post a link to them on your site?

1:38 PM  
Blogger chenlina said...

chenlina20160426
oakley sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses discount
christian louboutin outlet
coach factory outlet online
nike store outlet
cheap nfl jerseys
cheap jerseys
true religion outlet
true religion jeans
burberry outlet
celine outlet
toms shoes
hollister
nike air max 90
insanity workout
nike air huarache
marc jacobs handbags
basketball shoes
michael kors outlet
jordan 4 toro
michael kors handbags
lebron 11
fitflops sale clearance
fitflops
adidas originals store
kate spade
nike roshe runs
michael kors purses
nike uk
ray ban sunglasses
hollister outlet
ralph lauren outlet
timberland outlet
nike air jordan
michael kors outlet
supra sneakers
juicy couture
adidas superstars
nike trainers
michael kors purses
as

6:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...









There's definately a lot to find out about this issue
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/company-spraying-pesticides-anti-insects-in-taif.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/company-spraying-pesticides-and-pest-control-in-mecca.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/pesticides-spray-anti-insect-company-jeddah.html

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home