Monday, April 16, 2007

Personally, I think we're alone, but that's just me

A recent national poll in Canada showed that while assorted residents throughout this vast country are firm in their beliefs that extraterrestrial ‘aliens’ are already here and doing their dirty deeds with all and sundry, nowhere was the belief more pronounced than in my part, British Columbia.

Could this have something to do with BC being the pot capital of Canada, and that the infamous BC Bud approaches near lethal levels of THC? Or, is it just that we’re weirder than the rest of the country? Anyway, here is how the poll played out:

78% of Canadians believe in the existence of life elsewhere in the universe. More than 52% believe that some UFOs are alien spacecraft. Only 12% of people who have seen UFOs actually report their sightings. More than 57% of Canadians believe there is a military or government cover-up regarding the existence of UFOs. Older Canadians tend not to believe in UFOs or cover-ups. Younger Canadian adults are more likely to believe in the existence of extraterrestrial life.

I’m afraid I have to cast my lot with those old farts who tend not to believe in UFOs or cover-ups. Not that I’m ‘old’, y’unnerstand, for I’m very young at heart, but I have to confess that I am, at the very least, sceptical about the matter.

Ever notice how UFO sightings always seem to take place before a couple of good ole boys sharing a jug on a riverbank in Moose Groin, Saskatchewan, or Tuskalooskawatchi Crossing, Mississippi, rather than setting down in Times Square, Washington, DC or some other place that you think might entice ET leaders.

Then, of course, the aliens themselves either go into people’s bedrooms and sexually interfere with them, or take these same people on the mothership, and again sexually interfere with them. I mean, why would somebody who traveled light years across space be all that damn interested in our plumbing? Wouldn’t our brains, such as they are, be more to the point in terms of scientific interest?

Now, I say all of this, despite the fact that I think Close Encounters of the Third Kind is a terrific movie, and despite the fact I have actually seen a UFO. I’ve seen one, but I still don’t really believe in them.

We were camping with friends on a little island near here about 25 years ago. It was a beautiful and starry night, and the four of us were lying on the beach, drinking beer and marvelling at the wondrous sky. Then we saw it. All four of us saw it. A light moved in a straight line across the sky. A plane or satellite, we thought, even though it was moving much more rapidly than the average aircraft. Then, about half way across the expanse of sky, it zigged rapidly to the right. There was no glide into the zig, it just went immediately to the right, and then beyond our field of vision. We were fascinated, I must confess. Was it a UFO? Well, it was certainly ‘unidentified’, was indeed ‘flying’ and may or may not have been an ‘object.’

That considered, there is also a mathematical consideration in all of this. We are an inhabited planet in the universe. The universe is infinite. Ergo, there must be an infinite number of planets that are also inhabited by some sort of creature. Surely we’re not so important that we are ‘it.’ Makes sense, and the late Carl Sagan bought into that idea.

But, deep in my heart of hearts, I still don’t really believe in them. Do you?

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

Well, I certainly believe in Kang and Kodos. I've seen the Simpsons and I know they are for real...

But seriously, statistically speaking, it would be surprising that in the whole of the universe we would be the only life form. They might be slugs or they might be brilliantly intelligent, but yeah, I think there's something.

However, that they'd come here to stick probes up our butts... meh. Like you say, Ian, it seems they'd be interested in more lofty things. Of course, when you look at humans and what preoccupies us, if we were the aliens, we'd probably be playing with probes ourselves.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Love Carl Sagan.
I believe that there's probably something else out there.
That it/they would hang around Earth to fiddle with us is NOT something I believe, however!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Seems to me that there are certain laws of the universe that make faster than light travel a trifle impossible, like the square root of a negative number. (Einsteins General Law of Relativity)
Is there intelligent life out there? Well it's a big universe so there probably is. As for our governments contacting the aliens, the aliens would take one look at our politicians and say to themselves, "Well let's get out of here there sure ain't any intelligent life on this planet."

6:18 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

How much of that beer were you drinking?
I would love to believe, but don't. At least I do not belive there are intelligent beings out there they can fly here and probe our minds and butts. There may be something though, like paramecea, or protozoa, or other things I can't remember from high school biology.
V.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

There are UFOs - unidentified flying objects. Where they came, that is what people are really talking about.

I think there is life on other planets. Even intellegent life, but probably far, far away.

4:04 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

There are UFOs - unidentified flying objects. Where they came, that is what people are really talking about.

I think there is life on other planets. Even intellegent life, but probably far, far away.

4:05 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I too think there must be life of some kind elsewhere in the universe. The rest I'm not so sure of...

10:22 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

>>Ever notice how UFO sightings always seem to take place before a couple of good ole boys sharing a jug on a riverbank in Moose Groin,...<<
As a journalist, I'm sure you have a source for that nugget. Perhaps you'll share it with your audience.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Moof said...

Ian, I'm not surprised that you're not part of the "tin hat" crowd. :o)

It would be arrogant to believe that we're all there is in the vast universe ...

However, I don't believe in little green men ... "interfering" with us sexually! *ROFL!* Ian! Interfering? I love it!

7:29 AM  
Blogger CS said...

I'm with most everyone else here - seems unlikely that no other life exists out there, but also equally unlikely that there are aliens who visit us.

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home