Friday, April 13, 2007

What's with all the potty mouths? Effing cut it out, I say!

The time has come, dear readers, to offer some random thoughts about the currently ubiquitous use and misuse of ‘that word.’ OK, out in the open and no point in beating about the bush, as Ebenezer Scrooge said, the word is Fuck. But, now I’ll wimp out and be discreet and offer the kindly euphemism utilized by Lynn Truss in her informative and entertaining polemic on the state of the contemporary world, Talk to the Hand, and opt for Eff, or Effing.

The point is, the word has been used and misused to the extent it is being rendered meaningless, not to mention lamebrained. Not that I am averse to using it at times of stress or anger, but often think that the word is best applied, and should be reserved for sexual situations in which, quite frankly, no other word will ‘do’ as well. But, that’s a whole other matter.

Walking down the street I pass a little coterie of otherwise respectable looking girls of 13 or 14 years, or so. And I overhear them – I couldn’t help but overhear them. People at the end of the block, including the guy operating the jackhammer, could overhear them.

“So, I’m like I’m not effing doing that.”
“No effing way.”
“It’s effing true. So, I'm like go and eff yourself.”
“What a effing asshole. Eff!”

I was, quite frankly, shocked. Do you kiss your Moms with mouths like that? Have you no shame! Do you realize what you sound like? And so on, and so forth. And remember, I don't shock too easily. After all, I used to work with junkies and some of them would have had no vocabulary whatsoever if that word hadn't been available. And, I certainly used it myself when I worked with them, because it made them feel less alienated.

But, the patter of these little girls put a different spin on the issue. I remember a linguistics class in my long ago university days when one of our exercises involved analyzing the use of language in literary works. One of the young women in the class chose a particularly lurid and erotic passage from Lawrence’s Lady Chatterley’s Lover. Before she began she apologized and made mention of the fact the passage she would be reading did have the ‘F’ word in it – used in sexual context, I might add, and not as a profanity. She then read the passage, this nice and scholarly young woman did. The rest of the class shuffled just a tiny bit, uncomfortable at her blue utterances, even if it was in the name of scholasticism.

My point being that at the time, polite young ladies did not use that word, except in the throes of passion, at which times it had significant impact. Guys used it, even then. We used it sitting around the pub, or working in a sawmill in a summer job. It was a kind of ‘guy’ thing. But, we then tended to watch our language around females. In front of our Moms! There are not enough degrees in the hell that we would be sent to at the end of our days if we ever said eff around our moms.

Now, of course, elementary school kids tell teachers (and likely their moms) to eff off.

And that is ultimately my point. Aside from the shudder inducing distaste that arises when hearing the word blithely bandied about in public, there is the linguistic fact that a perfectly good word (in context) has been defused and is rapidly losing its impact. That’s too bad. Within a decade I predict eff (in its non-euphemized form) will join ‘bloody’ in being a neutral term. Bloody, I might add, was once considered a blasphemous and somewhat shocking term, which is why we have such euphemisms as ‘ruddy’ or ‘bleeding’.

So, if we want to preserve ‘fuck’ (there, I said it again, just to conclude) in its purity of linguistic impact, we effing well have to stop using it so blithely. Such a step would also make public discourse sound just a little less moronic and abrasive.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger AlieMalie said...

i love that word but kids nowadays, actually a lot of people, use it far too much.

too fucking much.

;)

3:53 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

A word that has never passed my lips. I loathe it, even though practically everything else has been uttered by me on occasion.
Of course being Australian, to me bloody is just a normal adjective.
I remember that my daughter, as a young twenty something year old, used to use it in front of me, no doubt for shock value. It only lasted a while thank goodness.
Regards
jmb

9:12 PM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

what's to preserve? i say let's declare a global day, free of this much bandied word.

being from belize (formerly a british colony), bloody is also a normal part of our everyday vocablulary.

10:59 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

How odd. I am just the opposite of you. The polar opposite. I only find the word distasteful when it is used in a sexual connotation. Then I find it vulgar and repulsive. Otherwise, I use it for every other form of speech. I think it's a fun word. But generally, I only use it when talking to my best girlfriend, because it amuses us.

1:40 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I'm with Jmb and Belizegial... I don't see the point in using that word or a few "c" words either...surely there are enough words in the English language to get one's point across without resorting to ones that not only sound awful but denote crude meanings.

1:57 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

oooooh, i've gotta say, i absolutely refuse to hang with people who use the word bloody. the history behind that word and the denigration of women that came along with it just drives me up the *ahem* fucking - sorry! had to use it! - wall.

i try to avoid the word hysterical for the same reason.

did i ever say i was a word person? i love 'em and the histories behind them. they're fascinating! you can say sooo little and mean so much if you know how to choose your words correctly.

:)

6:50 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Interestingly, I never write that word, though I do, on the required occasion, make use of it.
I prefer the Italian version these days.
Perhaps I'll use that, instead.
That way I can curse with impunity and only the Italians will be offended.
Is that offensive?

8:06 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Yeah, before I travel in Italy with Tai you can be sure I'll be learning the phrase for "I apologize for my dear friend's potty-mouth." :)

8:09 PM  
Blogger Lowry said...

I think that word has lost most of it's impact over the past few years.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I bow my head in shame..I use "that" word too effin much! :X

8:12 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I think it started out as a generational thing, but then older folks, not wanting to seem like fogies, began to overuse it, too.

I was raised strictly with regard to language. When I was 14, home from boarding school and newly in possession of many 4-letter words, I used one of them in my father's hearing. He explained to me that I had an excellent vocabulary and that people who used such words did not. He expected me to use my gifts better than that.

In recent years, I have grown a bit more lax linguistically, but I agree that this particular word is used so often that it has little meaning. Most of us have grown desensitized to it.

I understand your point about its proper use being sexual, but as a woman, I prefer to think of such acts as lovemaking. Certainly the concept of sex as merely sex (see? I can't help but assign my values to it) would be appropriate use of the word. Which I managed not to use even once here. !!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

What a brilliant post, Ian!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Strange how one's cultuer changes the meaning of the word. Here in francophone Québec, I have to tell my students that using the "F" word in polite company is not done. For them it has no real bad connotations. They'll say that a person is "tout fucké" meaning all mixed up. They are surprised when I tell them that using it is frowned upon in polite company.
While in the ROC (rest of Canada) it is usually the scatological verbiage that is used to voice displeasure in Québec it is religious vocabulary that is used. For example, "tabarnac", "chalice", "hostie" are common swear words (too common in my opinion, since it shows a basic lack of creative verbal displeasure) but imagine using them in English. Tabernacle, Chalice, Host... somehow just doesn't sound the same.

12:06 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Okay, I admit it - fuck's one of my favorte words. And I'm with aliemalie (whose blog I must now visit) that I advoid the word hysterical because of its sexist connotations. And of course, you've heard my thoughts on the word bitch.

5:39 AM  
Blogger Moof said...

Ian, but it's such a useful word! Think of it! Some people use it as a noun, an adjective, a verb, an adverb, a pronoun ... and of course, an expletive!

"Big Brother" had some very interesting points to make, too. The words he wrote by way of example are considered extremely offensive in the culture I grew up in (the same as his.) From that perspective, the "F" word is just common gutter talk, and doesn't measure up at all.

You know, I believe that those who use the term loosely simply show a lack of ... culture. Yes, I could have a used a few different words in there. ;o)

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home