Friday, March 30, 2007

Spring is sprung, the grass is riz

I can look out the window of this apartment Wendy and I occupy for part of each month, and as I glance down from the fifth floor balcony I can see the length of the street below and what I see is a mass of pink. This little side street is possibly the most blossom-festooned in the known universe. It’s awesome and awe-inspirit in its beauty. The photo only captures a tiny part of it.

The foregoing was by way of saying that it is finally spring in these parts, and I cherish the spring and always long for it. It has been a long and disgusting winter this year, more so than it normally is. But now all is turgid (love that word) in its fecundity. Buds are bursting forth and daffodils and tulips punctuate the statement that the world is no longer sleeping, but is coming forth as it has since time-immemorial, and I hope it will a few more times for me and for everybody else. Spring is a time of life and rebirth and that is a good thing.

I don’t ‘do’ the chill of winter. I don’t like cold and I don’t like wet. And the older I get, the less charmed I am by it. Even though I was born and raised in these climes, I have been elsewhere and long for the warmth that can be found in the tropics or in the desert. By warmth I don’t mean searing heat, I just mean John Denver-like sunshine on my shoulders. I have no desire to be in the southwest in the 110-plus temperatures of the summer, but Palm Springs in February is awfully nice.

So, now it is spring and would like to wish everybody a wonderful and warm springtime.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Oh I do miss the cherry blossoms in Victoria! Thanks for posting this little goody Ian...it's a sight for sore eyes :)

10:31 AM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

mum used to have the most wonderful flowering cherry when i was young, the blossom of those trees now always makes me think of scraped knees and sheep.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

You have green grass?
You have flowers?
Excuse my while I go sob hysterically under the desk.

Oh and, turgid in its fecundity... Sounds almost obscene.

I love both those words.

And now I will get to the hysterical sobbing...

11:56 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

My idea of the ideal climate would be to chase Spring and early Summer around the world.
This part of the world, the Pacific Northwest, has the best Spring anywhere.
Regards
jmb

12:51 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I'm starting to realize that those of us without harsh winters are not as appreciative as you guys in the north. I mean I LIKE spring, I just don't seem to savor it like some of you. Maybe that's why autumn is my favorite season - the end of the extreme summer heat.

I missed your last post and wanted to tell you the one that makes me gag: "How's it hanging?"

12:03 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Lucky you, here spring is finally slowly coming. No green as yet but a great crop of garbage left by the retreating snow drifts. (Last storm was for St Patrick's day) Won't change the winter tires just yet since we can still have snow pretty much until the middle-end of April. When Mrs. BB and I were married on May 1st, the next day we had snow flurries,just to give you an idea. ;o)

7:54 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I don't mind the stillness of winter as long as it brings the blooms of spring.


Hey, that was poetic and I wasn't even trying.

4:57 PM  
Blogger CS said...

"I don’t ‘do’ the chill of winter. I don’t like cold and I don’t like wet." I am completely with you on this. Well, actually, now that I say that, I don't mind rain when it is warm - it's raining now and I'm glad to see it becasue it just makes the lanscape that much more lush. We've got fruit trees out like crazy now, and dogwoods/redbuds everywhere you look. I couldn't be happier.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Pickled Olives said...

we are weeks away from that still. Very depressing. Your post is pretty, for lack of a better word. Thanks for sharing!

9:54 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

spring has sprung here too with our beautiful cherry blossoms, and we've even had some 80 degree weather. YEAAAAAA!!!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

Festooned indeed! Lovely! And how clever of you to work the word "fecundity" into polite conversation :-)

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home